Archinect
anchor

Tough Decision to Make

Hello all,

This is honestly my first time posting in here. I hope I get to hear from most of you, as I am truly in a tricky point.

I just recently graduated from Wentworth institute of tech in Boston, with a degree of science in Architecture. Truth is, I have always been passionate about architecture and buildings and I knew from a young age I want to design. 

I have also been accepted to the master program in my school. Which is only one year program in which it is only whats NAAB accredited, check link below:

http://www.naab.org/r/schools/view.aspx?record_id=20624

Meaning, if I get to pass this year It will be easier and it will honestly open more doors for me to find a job, start my career and perhaps look for another master.

However, I have always dream of going to a bigger school (not going to lie). Especially as my undergrad got easier and easier as I got to my senior year. I've started debating if it is even worth to come back to the same campus.

Now just to clarify, I was absolutely thinking of taking a year off, work and get some experience as well as applying for a bigger schools. Which option would you go for if you were in my shoes?

Going right after your undergrad to masters, at the same campus? with 6 months experience in the professional world.

or

Taking a gap year and applying for bigger schools, get some experience and maybe just come back to the same campus if you didn't get accepted anywhere?

I would appreciate your opinion!

May 19, 16 12:22 pm
gual

I think unless you have other pressures (like wanting to start a family, etc) there's nothing wrong with taking the gap time and working for a year.

It may also give you some perspective on what you want out of a Masters - I find that people who've taken some time off have a knack for deciding what's important and what isn't when juggling assignments, and generally have a better school-life balance.

May 19, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Imo the pre-professional degree is a waste of time and money.  Take a year off, work, and try to get into a 3+ Masters program.  You should also use that year to work on your portfolio.  

May 19, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

@gual

Thank you, the only pressure I got is the tuition as I am sponsored probably for one extra year and no more. Meaning my master degree at my school would be easily paid. 

But I can certainly look for scholarships everywhere, I hope that's not an issue.

@Jla-x

I do agree with you, there is no point of making a thesis in a year with a lot of stress. I do also think that working on my portfolio/GRE and personal statement will be my goal for this gap year. However, I don't think it is that easy to find an entry job, which kind of concerns me.

May 21, 16 12:32 am  · 
 · 
zg_a

Seeing that you're sponsored and money is an issue, I'd suggest getting it out the way now - do the year of grad school at your current school.  It will be much easier to get a job with a Masters, if that's your main concern.  

However, if you have the money or would risk going into debt, and you'd like to work for a well-known firm, doing ambitious work, having a Masters from a well-regarded school is critically important.  Those schools are generally more rigorous, with better professors, better resources, lectures and better peers - and your projects will end up being better.  

May 21, 16 1:43 am  · 
 · 

In my view, you are overthinking (i see it in the way you compose your question) there is only one option here and that is to take the master right away on the basis that that is the only thing on your plate.  If there is a job offer then there is a need to choose.

if you try to find work now, there is no assurance that you'd get one.  if you try to find work after a bigger master program, it does not assure you of a job either. think straight.

May 23, 16 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

take a year off.

If you why spend money on something your not going to enjoy as much. just re apply to other schools and pick one thats a happy medium of something that you would enjoy and willing to spend financially. you might realize that you hate the architecture business when you start working in a frim and might skip the whole M.Arch thing and move in a different direction. I feel that schools and the profession push the M.Arch degree too much. You only need an M.Arch to stamp drawings and to legally call your self an architect. You can still design and work in other parts of architecture with out it. think about it for a gap year and enjoy not being in school. Change it up for a while, you will see things in a different perspective rather than jumping on the wagon and going to grad school with out anything else in your pallet besides academia. 

take a year off. Six months is not enough time. 

May 23, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

it really doesn't matter.  think long term

May 24, 16 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Arched

I recommend you eventually obtain an accredited Masters of Architecture degree whether it is right away or if you take a year off to gain experience and pursue it afterwards. As life gets in the way, it can be sometimes more difficult to be a full time student all over again. If you plan on pursuing licensure, and moving forward as a licensed architect at architectural firms, your job prospects will be more competitive with others with an accredited degree. If you don't have an accredited degree, the majority of firms will not view you equally with other applicants applying for the same job unless there is some unique quality distinguishing you from the rest. Many architectural firms require architectural applicants to have graduated from an accredited architectural program. Just something to keep in mind.

May 24, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

I had the same opportunity to continue my masters at my undergraduate institution. I decided not to stay because I wanted to meet new professors and expand my network in a different place. To be honest, to get a job in this field, I've noticed it is about who you know. If I did not leave my undergrad school, I would not be where I am today because of the great people I met and new career development opportunities during my graduate school career. I also went straight through from undergrad to grad school and we all know there are pros and cons for both options, just make the decision best for your life.

May 25, 16 9:44 am  · 
 · 

@cmvander 

Thank you for your response!

To be honest, there is nothing that excites me to go for my school's master. I can see a lot the potential in each program they offer (variety of sites, cities and options) YET nothing of all is related to what I really want to focus on in my masters, considering that masters are normally about what you want to explore and focus on.

I really think this master is what I want to do https://architecture.mit.edu/architectural-design/degree/smarchs

Plus, the fact that I am fully sponsored means I only got one shot for that particular degree, if that is the shot, I don't think going to the same school will be the smartest move. 

May 29, 16 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: