Archinect
anchor

Condo Renovation Experience and Subsequent Explanation

BR.TN

I'm doing my first condo renovation this summer and the team consists of myself, a contractor, and a client who is my best friend - I know it's going to be a huge learning process but that's what I'm most eager for, since I realize the potential it could provide for my portfolio while I'm early in my career; I feel confidently equipped in terms of ability and organizational/managerial skills to successfully TRY and renovate this 900 sq ft one-bed condo, and with that I really feel up for the challenge. I haven't memorized IBC or my local building code, but will access that during my design development; off the top of my head I know ADA at least. Our contractor will be administering the permit to demo/build with my client's property manager, so I wont have to deal with that particular paperwork.

My role is conjoined between Project Manager/Designer. My client is serving as "Creative Director" with ideas in their head, and needs me as the educated design consultant to produce and execute, but also try to push the boundaries a bit and do something innovative.

When I come out on the other end in 3-6 months I will have gained a lot of knowledge or know-how through the experience. Ultimately I'd like to be able to proudly communicate my design concept to a a future employer and my design's successes and failures. So I wanted to ask these questions in hopes that someone with this type of experience can lend their insight:

Q) How would you prepare for a Project Management role and also dictate the experience afterward? What goals should I aspire to accomplish throughout this educational journey?

Q) Aside from before-and-after plans and photos, what type of documentation would an architectural critic want to see in order to evaluate my performance? Budget compliance? Timeline? Degree of ergonomic design? Millwork details?

Q) Are there certain formal papers I should fill out regarding the project's development? Certain spreadsheets that PMs use as a standard? Certain methods of notetaking?

Q) What types of not-so-obvious things should I consciously try to avoid? What types of "buzz words" should I look for?

Q) What areas on this project do I need to be extra careful with, in terms of administering a great final product?

Q) Are there things that you wish you knew your first time or mistakes you previously made that you'd be open toward sharing with me? 

Thank you for your input!

May 17, 16 7:26 pm

a client who is my best friend

In all likelihood they will not be your best friend when you are finished(no joke).

May 17, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Are there condos below you? Do not break a waterline or sprinkler line and flood them. ADA will have no bearing on an interior remodel of a residential space.

May 17, 16 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

be really careful in selecting the contractor

May 17, 16 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

ADA, or selected parts of ADA, are adopted by the residential code in some states and do apply to residential interiors - even single-family renovations.  For example you may be required to have a 3'-0" wide level path through the main level,  accessing all living areas, or accessing at least one of each type of room (kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, and exterior balcony, deck, porch or whatever.)  At least one bathroom may need to meet the ADA definition of "adaptable".  

First: make sure you know you're familiar with your state's code - particularly with any amendments.  I run across designers and contractors all the time who say "what do you mean it doesn't meet code - it's in IBC!" or "but I have plenty of fixtures - I checked the chart in IPC!" but haven't bothered to discover that the state has deleted entire chapters of IBC and replaced them with chapters of other standards, and thoroughly tweaked the plumbing, mechanical, and elevator codes.

May 17, 16 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: