Archinect
anchor

Summer Architecture Intro Programs

RBennett91

I'm trying to decide between Columbia's "Intro to Architecture" program or Harvard's "Career Discovery" architecture program.

- Harvard's program is 6 weeks and tuition is $3,500. Dorms on campus are $1,500 for the length of the program. No college credit - written evaluations instead of letter grades. http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/academic-programs/career-discovery/about-the-program.html

- Columbia's program is 5 weeks and tuition is $3,552. Probably would have to sublet off campus for 5 weeks - not sure what kind of deal I could find. College credit with a letter grade. https://www.arch.columbia.edu/programs/2-intro-to-architecture

Anybody familiar with either of these programs?

May 17, 16 5:07 pm
forzametro

While I cannot vouch for Columbia's summer program (I have heard good things about it though), I can say that Harvard's program is a great introduction to the discipline and the studio environment. 

The program may have changed in the nearly ten years (holy shit, that was awhile ago) since I did it, but the projects that are assigned become good fodder for your portfolio should you want to go further into discipline (a job or graduate school). Cambridge is also a fun place to be in the summer and the people who you would study with are fun and exciting. 

Aside from the financial aspects, ask yourself whether you want to be in Manhattan or Cambridge for the summer. One is not necessarily better than the other, than they each have their pluses and minuses. If you can, search on Issuu.com for portfolios that alums of each program have assembled for applications to graduate schools. It will give you a good sense of what the current work looks like. 

May 19, 16 8:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: