Archinect
anchor

Venturing on my own

Arched

I am a licensed architect considering a venture into starting a business of my own. I recently departed from a very unhealthy workplace. At this fork in my career, I am researching prospects of obtaining employment with a healthy and progressive firm or the possibility of moving on my own path and starting a business.

In consideration of moving on my own, I have done research into my intended market sector as well outlining resources I will need. I plan to start small. Preferably in partnership with another like-minded architect who is ready to take on such venture.

I have been following Archinect since I became licensed. This site has been very helpful. I would like to get perspectives from other architects whom have started businesses of their own. I appreciate any constructive advice. Thanks!

May 16, 16 12:31 pm
senjohnblutarsky

I was in a similar mindset when I left my other job.  Every time I ran numbers/ideas, I always ended up thinking a part time job at Lowes was going to be required.  Luckily, I was contacted by another firm.  Took a job and haven't looked back.  My market is probably very different, though.  No Architecture firms less than 45 minutes from home. 

May 16, 16 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

A few thoughts related to starting your own firm:

a. To avoid having to take on too much work that doesn't match up well with your target market, it's important to have a cushion of funds on which to live while the firm is getting established. Many would say you need 6-months of living expenses stashed away as cash reserves -- I would recommend a 1-year reserve of living expenses as more appropriate.

b. Unless you already have a significant backlog of work awaiting you as you begin, there is a certain 'desperation' that always seems to accompany the start-up of new firm. Sometimes that desperation can cause you to make bad business decisions that are hard to reverse -- such as becoming known as the guy who always quotes incredibly low fees. Don't allow that desperation to overwhelm you -- use it as motivation to get out there and find clients who are in a position to award you the kind of work you want to do.

c. While you'll be motivated, you also need to be somewhat patient. Many clients don't feel comfortable working with a new firms and -- to be frank -- they don't really need to take the risk when there are already so many established firms around. Keep selling and look for ways to neutralize potential client's reservations - and, don't allow frustration to get the better of you. Work hard to maintain a positive point-of-view.

Good luck.

May 16, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I started a landscape design business about 5 years ago.  From my experience it has been most beneficial to start informal partnerships with contractors who's past work fits the mold of what you are trying to break into.  I'm not sure what type of work you are looking to do, or if my method is scalable, but it worked well for me this far.  Promote yourself as an opportunity to help them transition into design/build.  Find builders who lack in house designers and offer yourself to them as an independent contractor.  It's amazing that so few designers do this.  Established builders are a gold mine for referrals.  Advertising on your own is extremely hard and not very fruitful.  You need to "feed" off of established businesses at first.  It will be your bread and butter, and once in a while they will refer you a great project.  After a few great built projects you will begin to get contacted directly via Internet, word of mouth, etc.   It's a tough transition, but 5 years in and the ball starts rolling.   

May 16, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

An architect striking out on their own, small, just needs just two things – A customer and the belief that you can get another one.

I left my job with a client of my former employer…I did have an employment agreement, they called and threatened to sue, I explained Free Enterprise to them, hung up and never looked back.

The client gave me a $1 million project and I not only designed it but built it….nearly tripled my normal fee, almost 2 years in pay (at the time, minus minimal expenses) for a project with about a 1.5 year duration. While I worked hard on the project I worked equally as hard getting the next one, did, then repeated it until they day that I thought my legs were strong enough to broaden the practice. For 30 years I followed the same axiom…1998 was always 1999 to me…you can’t wait till next year to get next year’s work.

All manner of things you could worry about, but nothing holds a candle to your belief & ability to get work...

May 16, 16 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

Carrera,

Thanks for the great advice. Would you mind sharing how you found work?  Especially when you were starting out.

May 17, 16 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^Yes, before I did I had a responsible job, people in my community knew who I was (generally) I wasn’t hiding in a cubical….I had relationships with my employers clients and past employer clients…that was my starting market base….who you are is more fundamental to getting work than what you are.

Also, because I knew how to build, that doubled my opportunities…then I moved quickly into developing…if I couldn’t find a project I reasoned I could create one….now tripling my opportunities and sometime later added a real estate license creating the “Quadruple Bubble”, sometimes getting paid 4 times on one project….the goal being to have next year paid for before it started…then I could afford to pick & choose….a bit.

The “how” starts with what you have to offer…the more the better based on averages, the rest is just chasing work/selling…nothing architectural about that part.

May 17, 16 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

Carrera,

Thanks again.  Your advice is really helpful and gives me confidence.  Going out on my own will be my next career move.

May 17, 16 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^++++

May 17, 16 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: