Archinect
anchor

critics for portfolio!!!

archi94

Hello folks i'm applying next year to masters programs, and  i want you critics abt my portfolio , it's not finished yet i still need to add some details, i need your critics so i can make some changes , or maybe keep it as it looks :p

anyway here is the link waiting for you replies :)

https://issuu.com/sanaekorchi/docs/portfolio_25_cm

May 14, 16 1:03 pm
MinimalCrazy

pick a gpa based school and get in with your letter of intent & gpa.

May 14, 16 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Ask yourself why you are doing this and if it is worth the time and money. Do you have any office experience? "You do realize" that you will not be doing any design or pretty drawings for years after you graduate. And I like your drawing of the door at the end of your portfolio.
May 14, 16 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
archi94

Thank you no-form

i'm a third year architecture student, and thats what we do, so guys u don't like your portfolio, that's what u meant ?

May 14, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
archi94

my*

May 14, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

hard truth:  on a scale of 1-10 i'd rate your portfolio about a 3.  i think anyone can become a good designer with hard work, but you aren't there yet.  furthermore, i don't see potential in your model making, graphic style, analytical approach, nor do i see progress from one year to the next.  your projects kind of look the same, which makes me think that you're coasting through undergrad at a mid level design school.    furthermore, there isn't any design work done with the portfolio itself--there is no layout, no coherent placement to text, images just look like you dragged stuff into indesign.  

May 14, 16 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

It's too long, and all the better work is in the second half.  I understand this is because you organized it based on your academic progress.  I would suggest not organizing it that way.  Start with your strongest work. 

It's too long.  It would be much better at half this length, and with half the text.

The first project on pages 3-7 is a comparatively weak early project - it doesn't demonstrate anything useful - you should delete it.

The next two projects are stock architecture school fare - I actually have a very similar series based on that same painting on pages 8 to 9, and more or less that same model on pages 10-11 - and I did both of those over 20 years ago.  Those are good time-tested exercises, but the end product doesn't do anything useful in your portfolio.  If this is for applying to grad schools everybody in admissions has seen those projects literally thousands of times, and you're not doing anything new and fascinating with them.  If it's a portfolio for applying for internships or employment those projects don't show any transferable skills.  Delete them.

Now to cut the text:  Everywhere where you say "the assignment was..." cut that sentence in its entirety.  Nobody cares what the assignment was.  Just tell us in 2 sentences or less what you did and why (meaning what is the main idea, NOT what class was this for and what did they tell you to turn in.)

In the table of contents at the front you should get rid of all the references to particular semesters and types of academic projects.  Name the projects by what they are about - not when you did them nor for what class.

May 14, 16 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
archi94

Thank you Bloopox, u are giving me some hope, if i follow your advice i may be admited to some masters programs ? :)

May 14, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Sure, if you've got decent recommendations, a good GPA, and write a compelling statement of purpose - why not?  Your portfolio is a little lacking in the "wow factor" - it's rather predictable undergrad work.  If you can get something in there that's a little more experimental it might help with some schools.

May 14, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
archi94

well i only have architecture school projects, i'm still in my third year, there is no competition or really good internship projects

May 14, 16 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Take a painting or sculpture elective, or something else with an artistic handmade product.  Your studio work is ok but too average and predictable.  If you've gone that way so far you're probably not going to break out of your shell that much in your last year(s).  So take some outside-of-architecture elective that will give you some work to demonstrate less conventional visual thinking.

May 14, 16 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I would find a school that matches your abilities - then from there improve on that - you don't need to set the world on fire  - avoid critical people and make your own way - besides Starchitects like Bjarke Ingels spend all their time in meetings and on speaking tours, sitting in seat 20A on some 777  - too busy influencing people than doing design.

And learn Revit if you haven't done so already - this way you will be employable - then do design as a hobby - unless you really wan to do design, then get good at sketchup or Formit(the latest tool from autodesk - works like sketchup)

May 14, 16 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

Heres my honest opinion. I want to help because I was a very terrible student (bottom of the class) in my earlier years but through the guidance of friends, I managed to learn rapidly and work at my dream offices.

Your portfolio is similar to the bottom tier of the first year portfolios I have seen. Nothing is interesting. Too many people are caught up about meeting the assignment. But think of studio as this way, the assignment is a starting point, now you have to think outside of the box for a resolution. Do not follow conventions, architecture school is a great place for experimentation (BECAUSE ITS NOT BEING BUILT!). Don't be "designing" conventional typical corporate architecture stuff. However it is not the end! I significantly improved from 2nd year to 3rd year, and even more from 3rd year to 4th year. YOU HAVE A WHOLE YEAR (well slightly less) to improve your portfolio. Go do some research, read some books, analyze/understand (NEVER COPY!!!!) why architects do things, perhaps meet some talented architects and speak with them. I also learned a lot from talking with architects, they give insight from design to carrying a project. From subtle moves such as why you want to setback on certain interior conditions to maximize sunlight and etc, to how to carry and build a project. However I say it is not the end because not only do you have a year to improve, but so many schools take students just based off GPA and Intent. So even if you have the worst portfolio in the world, you can still be an architect. Just don't expect to have any design power at offices, you will most likely be working towards a cdocs (executive) architecture position.

May 15, 16 1:13 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

and Sanas, NEVER BLAME SCHOOL PROJECTS! for having boring work. I've have the WORST sites ever, but they also were some of my greatest work to date. The harder the site, the harder you have to think outside of the box to create good architecture. Restrictions and limitations is what makes architecture interesting. How architects are able to work around these limitations  to create better experiences is my definition of architecture! You should really enter some competitions soon and win some awards, it will help you redo your portfolio before masters apps come. My 4th year portfolio contained only 1 project form my 3rd year portfolio. You need to have enough projects to fill up your 4th year portfolio.

Internship projects..... you will never get great things to put on your portfolio from that. Either you will get cdocs..... or you will get some insane famous buildings but your tasks are so tiny, its obvious you didnt design it. Masters doesnt really care much about work projects because it doesn't show your potential for creativity.

Just keep up the studies!!! get a 3.6+GPA and a strong intent and you will be fine!

May 15, 16 1:27 am  · 
 · 
archi94

thanks guys for all of your advices it will be helpful :)

May 15, 16 5:51 am  · 
 · 
Apoorva91

Hey Sanas, I cant find your portfolio in the link you shared. Did you remove it? I want to have a look at it

May 17, 16 3:16 am  · 
 · 
archi94

Hey Apoorva91, here is the link https://issuu.com/sanaekorchi/docs/port  i made some change, so some pages are not finished yet

May 17, 16 7:39 am  · 
 · 
Apoorva91

ahh now I see what some of the above comments meant. Thank you for sharing it with us. 

I personally feel you should refine the layout a little more and remove the first 'unattractive' images for each project. maybe it could come in the second page. I think you wanted to put the 'concept' sketch and description of the project first and then the project itself, but it felt little crude, if i may. I think, if you keep working on it, and make good designs at school , the  time you graduate, you will have a pretty decent portfolio. 

Relax and enjoy

May 17, 16 8:11 am  · 
 · 
archi94

Hey Aproova91; thanks i will for sure :) , do you  think is it normal to have like this portfolio in the third year, or am i supposed to have a pro one ?

May 18, 16 7:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"...or am i supposed to have a pro one ?"

The answer is always yes.

May 18, 16 8:25 am  · 
 · 
archi94

For sure Non Sequitur, everyone like pro things, but i'm asking if it's normal to be in the third year of architecture and have an average portfolio

May 18, 16 10:16 am  · 
 · 
lacalr

That's fine for your portfolio to not be perfect, it should always be growing and evolving and getting better. I don't think I was ever 100% happy with my portfolio and am still finding many things to re due and improve. I do however believe that the portfolio will carry the most weight out of the application material so refining it to the greatest degree possible is always a good idea. 

After I graduated from undergrad I did a huge purge of my portfolio while revising it before I applied to graduate schools and jobs. 

May 18, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
saitejapolina

could you repost the link of your portfolio???/ its not responsive

Jun 5, 16 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Cas Esb

yes i need to see it too

Jun 6, 16 8:01 am  · 
 · 
DKam

I think sanas just removed the portfolio from the website altogether. but it's indeed so teasing to read about it without being able to see it.

Jun 7, 16 7:01 am  · 
 · 
archi94

sorry guys i deleted, i'm working on a new one now...

Jun 7, 16 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: