Archinect
anchor

Art Nouveau in Video Games

gauvainboiché

Hello everyone !

My demand will maybe sounds crazy, but I think I'm in the right place. But fell free to boot me :P

I'm a student in the Video Game industry, and I'm currently finalizing a Science Fiction project for my year. The main concept of this very project is just "Science Fiction" so it's really open to our interpretations. After doing a very polished scene, I'm now making a "common" one like we can see in well-knowed movies.

But now I must have a full life-room, like a bedroom or a desk. In my scene, we are in a military base of a scifi dictature, so this liferoom will be a captain room, filled with luxury to contrast with the functionality of the rest.

So, here is my demand :

I ant to make a Art Nouveau style, melted with a Science Fiction inspiration. So I wanted to know what kind of materials must I use.

Wood, Marble, Zinc, Bare Metal, anything else ? And if you had some references, I'm intensly searching on the web, but I didn't find anything corresponding to what I have in mind. I get some really good shots from Alfons Mucha, but I can't think as an architect.

So, I'm asking for your professionnal help :) Thank you in advance !

May 12, 16 2:36 pm
JLC-1

Hector Guimard, Antoni Gaudi, Victor Horta.

May 12, 16 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1005

May 12, 16 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
gauvainboiché

Thank you guys, but in a matter of fact, I already have these kind of architecture :) And even better, I live in Belgium so I saw for real Horta's work.

I'm really asking for an architect point of view on how to make a hybrid work which melt art nouveau and science ficition ?

I don't see which materials to use for that. What kind of metal shoul I use, zinc, aluminium, if I must use metal at all :/

May 12, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...which melt art nouveau and science ficition ?

Have you tried fire?

May 12, 16 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

H.R. Giger, Fritz Lang's Metropolis (more Deco, but still), Moebius comics, the list goes on for art that has combined the two.

Why so obsessed with materials? How hard is it to just try a bunch of things out?

May 12, 16 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
gauvainboiché

I tried, but nothing seems good enough. That's why I'm asking for help, if I were happy with my pre-tests, I wouldn't be here. And also because beauty doesn't come with functionality, I figured that architects might have an interesting thought on how can you save money in materials. The army doesn't pay good money for cute after all... I don't know how you can think a commandant cabin on a destroyer or a carrier. I'm an artist, but I want to know how could a builder would do it. I'm a serious worker, not a cannabis-fed guy with a pencil and some paint in his hands^^

May 13, 16 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm thinking Soleri and Archigram with a liberally applied touch of 5th Element.

May 13, 16 9:39 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

watch blade runner, city of ember, the city of lost children; mostly play with the light, materials are less important than ambient.

May 13, 16 10:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: