Archinect
anchor

Salary Expectations

Julia Morgan

Hello All, 

My husband and I are moving to Seattle and I'm curious as to what Salary range I should be asking for/expecting from potential employers. 

i have a Master's and 2 years experience + 8 years of manager level professional experience in another field. I've completed 3 of my exams and about half my hours - taking my 4th in a month and hoping to finish the remainder by the end of the year. Applying for Junior Designer, Staff positions.There were serious issues of unequal pay at my previous firm and already have anxiety about this topic - feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

May 11, 16 2:39 pm
chigurh

May 11, 16 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

If you'd like to get a good idea of what architects are currently earning, check out salaries.archinect.com

May 11, 16 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

60K on the high side....much like architectural knowledge is undervalued in any other industry, in the architecture industry your "8 years of manager level professional experience in another field" is valued minimally.

I'd say $52-56k is more of the going rate two years experience.

Seattle is one of those hip place where young professionals migrate to in grooves, so although cost of living is high, competition in the job market is fierce, and there are a lot of ppl that buckle to low wages just to get their first job or two.

May 11, 16 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i thought julia morgan was independently wealthy and quite the architectural go-getter -- she'd never work for someone else!

May 11, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
YourYoureYore

60k for an intern with 2 years of experience? Wow.

May 11, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I will echo DeTwan's comment. I don't know Seattle very well, but Vancouver is exactly as he (she?) describes. Lots of young people, plenty of immigrants willing to work for pennies, and an extremely high cost of living. With similar experience to you, a few years ago I was offered a job in Vancouver for about 45k. I thought it was a joke, but apparently not.

May 11, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Julia Morgan

Thank you!! When asked I've given a range of $25-27/hr + benefits. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't on the high or low end. My husband (public school teacher) had a $12k difference in pay for the same job in Portland vs Seattle so we're moving - I'm just following him.

My last position paid an insulting wage with the promise of 2x yearly bonuses that would make up for it - the bonuses were a joke as well and they paid the fresh faced fella straight out of undergrad 20% more than me. Can any of you fellas speak to this? Why do we still have excess levels of unequal pay in this field? It's the men in charge making these pay decisions and really it just comes down to sexism, in an industry of only 18% women we are often seen as the 'token' in a small office....HOPING Seattle will be more professional and equal.

May 12, 16 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Julia Morgan

Also, the self reporting salary link Archinect listed above shows that salaries are not consistent and women are reporting the lower numbers than their male counterparts.

May 12, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Any small office that hires "token" employees is probably not worth considering. Your intetests need to align with your employer. Not all architecture firms are created equal.

May 12, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Julia,

There are quite a few awesome folks looking at the very question you raise.

http://eqxdesign.com/

May 12, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Julia Morgan

SneakyPete - I saw this amazing study right after I quit the sexist firm - just hoping for some firsthand explanation or insight as to WHY from people who make the salary decisions....but then again I guess no one is really going to come out and say "I have a subconscious bias towards male workers" or 'I'm sexist'....ha!

May 12, 16 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'll risk sounding like an apologist and suggest that it's unconscious bias - in large part based on historical "norms".

That being said, it needs to stop. Those doing the hiring need to keep up with the research and statistics and make sure they aren't part of the problem. Also education systems, college acceptance, as well as high school guidance. The systematic undervaluing of women based on nothing but hot air needs to stop.

May 12, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

It's worth shelling out the money for the AIA Compensation Report. Its methodology is far more detailed and comprehensive than what's found on websites like salary.com. The report costs a couple hundred bucks to purchase, but it pays for itself if you're able to negotiate a higher salary than you otherwise would have.

Seattle is booming right now and architects are in high demand, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding work if your portfolio and interview skills are decent. In general, salaries in Seattle are significantly higher than in Portland, plus there's no state income tax.

(I just moved to Seattle from the Midwest and was also considering Portland, but the salary difference is ultimately what made me pick Seattle. The AIA Compensation Report was incredibly useful in determining my salary range, and I ultimately landed a job at a good firm with a salary within the range indicated in the report based on my experience level.)

May 12, 16 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Julia Morgan

Yay, thank you David and SneakyPete - much appreciated advise and insight. David, welcome to the PNW!!!

May 12, 16 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Julia, If your an AIA member and ask really nicely you may be able to look at a copy of the report by calling the seattle AIA office.

I would have expected salary differences to start showing up years out of school, assuming that some women may have taken time off for family.  A 20% difference at 2 years or less is insane! 

May 12, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
+1 to asking at the AIA office. I'm not even a member (they didn't ask, I didn't tell) and I was able to walk in, sit down, and look over the report at my local office. Helped immensely in my latest salary negotiation.

I think one of the more valuable parts was the role definitions they publish. Helped to sit down and show that maybe looking at years alone, I'm here...but looking at the definition, I'm here and deserve more than you are offering.

Good luck.
May 12, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

The role definitions and some big-picture salary data are also available for free online. The numbers on the website aren't broken down by city, though, and Seattle's numbers will be higher than the Pacific Northwest region's general numbers.

May 12, 16 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

WOOOAH! 60K FOR 2YRS EXPERIENCE?!!? uuuuuuhhhh??!! I have 5yrs pre M.arch, & 6 yr's post M.arch, & 2 exams away from license and still only makin high 40's :-/

May 12, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

you getting screwed theta.

I think 60k is reasonable depending on the candidate, past managerial experience doesn't really matter, but at least you are getting somebody in their early/mid 30's (assuming) that you can put in front of a client or consultant and not look like a total dipshit.  

May 12, 16 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

seek out greener pastures until you make it big in this field .. architecture is a tough field.. Especially hard living in Seattle where new grads in software engineering get paid 100k in their first job upon graduation and make upwards of 150k by their 5th year working for Amazon, Microsoft etc. 

May 12, 16 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Awesome screen name by the way Julia.

May 13, 16 11:38 am  · 
 · 
3tk

One would have thought the pay difference would be less evident now that insurance costs are level.  I'm not sure if this would help, but stand firm on what you should be paid based on what your value to the firm is - if they keep noting how great you are, ask that they show appreciation in a tangible way (be nice about it).  Also, keep networking to make sure others see your value and want to hire you away.

I did have a boss who complained that the attrition rate of women were far higher in her studio than men - leaving do to family issues (taking paid maternity leave, or moving do to partner's job).  She paid equal across the board and made an effort to hire more women, wanting to help other women rise up in the profession.

shuellmi : if the risk factor is that they leave within the first 3~5 yrs, then the difference at the beginning is not surprising (not legal or ethical, but not a surprise)

May 13, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: