Archinect
anchor

General tips for applying to firms both big and small.

kellycase1982

So.

I graduated with a master's in architecture and spent one year working a small practice in Illinois. Life has necessitated that I move to Seattle.  I went back to school in my late 20s for my degree. 

I interview well and have experience as both a project manager in a previous life and designing everything from school renovations to community projects to homeless shelters. 
In anticipation of my move, I began applying to firms in the area and I have some questions and a plea for basic tips just to get in the door. as I feel like I'm sending things off into the void.

Anything you feel is important would be great. 

May 10, 16 3:24 pm
tduds

For starters, don't begin correspondence with "So..." 

Then take what you just wrote and polish it up with specific examples. Now you have a cover letter.

May 10, 16 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
kellycase1982

Yes, thank you for the general tips.  I'm 34, I had a successful pre-architecture career where I wore many different hats.  I have a well crafted cover letter, a polished resume and wonderful references. 

I'm asking for perhaps key words and phrases HR people look for etc etc.

Or perhaps things that people often miss or don't think about during the the application process which can be specific to a new industry that I'm now involved in. 

For example, I'm very perplexed by the idea that some of these firms will post a job and then still will not even begin the interview process a month later. Is this normal?

May 10, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

For example, I'm very perplexed by the idea that some of these firms will post a job and then still will not even begin the interview process a month later. Is this normal?

Totally normal. A lot of staffing - esp in small or mid-size firms - is based on projected needs for upcoming projects. However until the contract is signed and the retainer is received (if the firm is smart...) they aren't going to want to add on the cost of another employee. They may not want to interview until it's clear when they'll be able to sign someone on.

---

The economy seems pretty good and you might do fine just sending stuff out. But if you want to really improve your chance, find a couple firms doing something you really like and focus hard on them. Find some way to show you care about the kind of projects they do, and have some specific ability to work on them which any other random architect with your experience wouldn't have. Bob Borson on Life of an Architect had a good post on this - some young graduate sent in an example of her work modeling one of the firms projects based on photos from their website (google it, I don't have the link). Totally a good idea if you do it well - any not-starchitect would be flattered someone showed this kind of interest in their firm's work. Most firms want someone who's smart, skilled, and genuinely likes the kind of work the firm already does.

May 11, 16 1:47 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Pm me for tips.
May 11, 16 7:55 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Does your school have alumni in Seattle?
May 11, 16 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Ghudson, cold calling and resume spamming are not very effective and for firms this can get very annoying.  I made this mistake early on in my career and realized that it was a waist of time and money, making personal connections is far better. Keeping a network of people in the profession, getting face to face informational interviews where you don't ask or beg for a job but advice and information.

Check out the book Cracking the Hidden Job Market by Donald Asher

Also temp agencies are a very good way to get into a job market especially if you are in a new city or are far from the sphere of influence your school has. Temp gigs can be long or very short but you often get to build up a portfolio of experience and can learn where to look for long term positions when you are ready.

Get face to face communication, if you ask for advice the person you are seeking advice from will think your smart because you think they are smart. Keep away from yes or no questions only open ended questions or questions that will require more than a few words to answer. Do not beg for a job unless explicitly invited to do so, no one likes a beggar because no one is ever comfortable with saying no to you or anyone else trying to get their next phase of their career started.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Jun 22, 16 9:46 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Networking is basically the only thing that consistently works. And not superficial "networking" where it is all glad-handing and being seen. You need to get involved in community, social, political, and volunteer organizations and forge lasting connections. If you are trying to move someplace, it helps to already know people there or to have enough $$ saved that you can move and wait 3 months before getting a job.

Jun 22, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

Go visit the firms you're interested in.  Show up in person to drop off a resume and portfolio.  Do your homework so you are familiar with the firm and have an actual name of the person you want to give your resume to.  Often times they will be in the office and many are happy to engage in a conversation. 

This also gives you a chance to check out the office / culture in a less structured environment than an interview.  You want to make sure it's a place you would be happy going to work every day after all.

Obviously this works better with some firms than others (at large corporate firms you likely won't make it past the lobby), but every job I've gotten has been done this way.  Way more personal approach and shows that you're truly interested.  Let them see your smiling face.  More important than skills listed on a resume is how you fit in as part of the team.

Jun 22, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: