Archinect
anchor

it's just drafting

makingspace

without revealing too much, 

architects are really just drafters and shouldn't get paid much.  that's what the market demands i'm told.  

putting together a drawing package is easy because that's the way it looks to someone who's never done it before.  

makes sense.

May 10, 16 1:29 pm
SneakyPete

It's part of our job to educate clients on what we bring to the project.

If you hear the above stated in a meet-and-greet, and they are not amenable to listening as you explain what we really do and how we do it, move to the next group of folks. 

May 10, 16 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
makingspace

the ironic part is that this was coming from a licensed GC

May 10, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I get paid for what I know, not what  I do

May 10, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Any client that thinks that is a first time amateur.  That's why seasoned clients are the best - they know the process, consultants, make quick decisions, understand the value of each member of the team in addition to the importance of an architect running the show.  

May 10, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's not ironic but expected that a GC might say that.

May 10, 16 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

^ Exactly, says that but knows better.

May 10, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I don't think I really became an architect until I was called a cartoonist by a contractor.

May 10, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

whoever told you that never understood what is beyond the lines that is drawn

May 11, 16 11:14 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

suggest to anyone who says that that they try to do it themselves

May 11, 16 11:22 am  · 
 · 
no_form
How is it that a GC would have that attitude? They know better than anyone what goes into getting a project delivered.
May 11, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
YourYoureYore

Because a GC knows how to build things and devalues an architect's role because of that knowledge. Making a successful or even functional building at anything above a residential scale would be a non starter. But they are delusionally proud of our shitty american vinyl kingdom suburbs that they have created, so some of them are beyond help.

May 11, 16 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ That's just as mindless a characterization as we architects have to put up with.  Dial it back a notch.

May 11, 16 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
YourYoureYore

Not really. I gave them credit for being able to build stuff. I frequently seek input from contractors on cost effective and efficient ways to build or modify details to make them better (most of the time after contract award). But I'll stand by my comments that most are not very good designers or building/city planners. And I'm not even remotely sure how that position is analagous to a GC basically calling us drafters.

May 11, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It was the tag line blaming all of suburbia on GC's I was referring to.

May 11, 16 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: