Archinect
anchor

Adaptive reuse?

Volunteer

I recently read an article about deconsecrated churches being used in Europe for other purposes such as bed and breakfasts, restaurants, or whatever. I then came across this photo of St. Boniface in Philly which seems could have been reused for something? It has been completely demolished, however.

May 9, 16 3:24 pm
JLC-1

there is a night club in denver in a former temple, aptly named "the church"

May 9, 16 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Volunteer, the images below are from a climbing gym close to where I live. It's a 1927 church building that got a very good renovation/extension and became a indoor bouldering/climbing gym. They even reused the oak pews as change-room benches.

I could not find a picture of the original ceiling medallion.

May 9, 16 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Lots of church to apartment/condo conversions in the NW side of Chicago - particularly Wicker Park/Bucktown/Ukrainian Village. They are working their way up Milwaukee as the neighborhoods change and the parishioners no longer live in the neighborhood. One a couple blocks from me is going to become a Trapeze training facility if the zoning passes. 

May 9, 16 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I would never have thought of a climbing wall. I have seen a church converted into a practice basketball court. A microbrewery and restaurant would be a possibility, or one of those places that serve as offices for start-ups with shared conference rooms, ect.

It would might be a good venue for a theater company, especially for some of Shakespeare's plays, and Dickens' 'Christmas Carol'. It would almost be too powerful a setting for Becket. Imagine using a real church as a setting for a play about an Archbishop of England getting murdered in church?

A lot of the Churches similar in style to the Philly example are very dark inside but the light in St. Boniface seemed to be exceptional.

May 9, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've been to Church. There is also a park that used to be a graveyard in Denver, Cheesman Park; a mortuary turned restaurant, Linger. Also, a church near my house that is now condos, big windows like that too. 

May 9, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I hear there's a theatre in Astoria Oregon that used to be a laundrymat. 

May 9, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Tintt it's actually a laundromat turned crematorium.
May 9, 16 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've always thought old-timey gas station garages would be perfect to convert into a brewup. I'm yet to see one, though. Hopefully I can design my own one day.

May 9, 16 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I've seen and done a ton of adaptive reuse type projects.  Starting typing a list, but it's long.

Oddball ones I've seen or done;  

At grade water storage tanks into offices and storage.  Church into lofts.  Big boxes into townhalls.  Garage facilities into class A office space.  Barns into banquet halls. Gas stations into restaurants and/or retail.  Motels into halfway homes, shelters, etc. Prison wings into admin office space.  Fire stations into retail.  Bridges into public space / bars.   Tons of old movie theaters into retail.  Pool into classrooms/multipurpose space.

Basically; enclosed space can become about anything you want to be. 

May 10, 16 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: