Archinect
anchor

Inability to Sketch

A.I.

Hey Everyone,

How many of architects on here that have graduated in the past 5-8 years feel that they are unable to communicate their ideas in freehand sketching the way older and more seasoned Architects do?  Whenever I see an older Architect sketch quickly by hand, I get a bit jealous and feel almost cheated by the times; since our education and the daily demands of the modern Architecture office place almost zero emphasis on free-hand sketching.  Maybe we should just consider our modern tools to be Photoshop, Illustrator, Revit, CAD, etc., but having a great workflow between software doesn't feel like it connects to the design process the same way sketching does.  Ya, the 50 something Architect can't produce in software the way we are able to, but they sure as hell can whip out a 15 second free-hand sketch that puts everyone to shame.

Are we to consider sketching by hand a dead phenomenon that will disappear as the older generation dies off?  Should we just accept technology for what it is and how it has changed the profession?

I don't know, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

P.S. I've seen 'millennial' Architects try and sketch, and although a talented individual can produce something acceptable for a design idea or a meeting, it doesn't even begin to come close to what the older folk can generally pull off.

May 8, 16 6:38 am
xx__

How exactly you can't sketch? You can't draw in perspective or your lines are jerky? Sketches can be beautiful but many times they are simply wrong because they are out of scale. So nowadays they are just a show-off, imho.

May 8, 16 7:43 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

if you're doing details:

1. slow the fuck down.

2. make sure you see the image in your head before you put the pen to paper. so think.

3. draw it slowly.

Do that over and over and speed comes to the process.

This is markedly different from generating sketches on a screen. CAD gives you malleability. You can move lines, rearrange their order, trim mistakes. Sketching takes that away.

If you get good at it, you can trim down your CD sets a lot and just issue on-site sketches while going back-and-forth with contractors. It saves a shitload of time, and it back-ends your fee into CA where you're more likely to be on an hourly rather than a fixed fee.

May 8, 16 8:55 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it has long been my belief that there is not an innate human connection between brain-pencil-paper.  it is my belief that the older people who you see as being good at hand sketching gained that skill through years of experience.  i also believe that there is no way to replicate those years of experience, other than spending years practicing and gaining experience.

i don't think it's fair to expect a 'millennial' architect to have the many years of experience that older architects have.  if you want to be good at hand sketching, then try doing it.  often.  it might not look as good and you might not be as fast to start, but just keep in mind that you're learning, and eventually you'll get there if you stick with it.

May 8, 16 11:43 am  · 
 · 

^  ^^ ^^^  +++

All valuable points and reminders.

May 8, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Being able to show an idea in 15 seconds with just a pencil and paper sounds like a good skill to develop. It is something you can learn with practice. 

May 8, 16 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Second curtkram.

Also - I'm always amazed at the new myriads of things people can blame millennials for; it really is a talent.

May 8, 16 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: