Archinect
anchor

Just got registered, when should I join AIA?

YourYoureYore

After spending tons of money to pass the exams I am hesitant to drop another $500 on AIA dues. Am I understanding it correctly that I can get a pro-rated fee later in the year? Is there any reason to not wait until January to join?

May 6, 16 8:40 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes. First, you will not likely have to pay $500 for the AIA designation, they prorate. Second, you'll likely have a reduced fee for being newly licensed. Third, you can pay dues over time.

May 7, 16 12:17 am  · 
 · 

^ Ditto. And ask your employer if they reimburse for AIA dues. Many employers do.

May 7, 16 12:19 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Hey you may want to join the AIBD now that you're licensed.

sorry I couldn't help myself!
May 7, 16 2:03 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

why join, is the first question you should ask?

May 7, 16 9:20 am  · 
 · 
YourYoureYore

So that my business cards look super official...??

May 7, 16 9:25 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

Unless your employer pays for it don't bother, there is no benefit.  The AIA has marketed their designation to the public so people assume "AIA" = licensed professional.  It does not.

Just add "Architect" or "RA" to your business cards and be done with it.  Take back our professional designation. 

May 7, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

since I've been registered as an Architect (2012) I've pulled in at least 100 jobs (mainly very small) and NOT once did anyone ask why there was no AIA on my card, NOT once.

I'm registered in 3 states, btw.

May 7, 16 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

If you like sitting in cheap hotel banquet rooms eating bad food, I say go for it.

May 7, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

you can join archinect for free, it is the new alternative to the AIA. 

May 7, 16 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Alternatively, if you like knowing who all the other architects in your town are, so you know:

-who has niche firms or special knowledge  

-who might be your direct competition

-who is trying new software, moving to a new office space, merging with an ID firm etc.

-which contractors to avoid vs. recommend

-which consultants to avoid or recommend

-what learning unit opportunities are out there (most likely you'r required to get CEUs whether you're AIA or not)

-which firm principals are cool vs. jerks

-which firms are going on a hiring spree vs. letting people go

The idea that AIA will directly bring you *clients* isn't necessarily true, because clients don't tend to hang out at AIA events (except when they're getting awards). But meeting people through the AIA means the people in your field will know who *you* are and if a client comes to them they could give you a recommendation. For gaining specific, inside knowledge of what is happening in *your* community in the design and construction world in general I can't think of a better place than the AIA.

That said, you have to be ACTIVE in the AIA or it won't do you any good at all. You won't meet people unless you volunteer for a committee or event or similar. You get our of it what you put into it.

May 7, 16 11:04 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

Donna always coming full force to defend the AIA.

All of the items in her list can be learned by having a simple network of architect friends/classmates/former coworkers.  You do not have to join the AIA for any of that info.

Most AIA members are actually rather protective of all of this beneficial info...Think about it...why would another architect want to give up anything to help the competition? The true failing of the AIA.

May 7, 16 11:39 am  · 
 · 
citizen

For better or (likely) worse, the AIA designation translates as "licensed" in the minds of many people who don't know better.  Who cares?  Well... some of those people hire architects.  It's a pricey "credential" to have, yes, and lots of folks understandably don't pay it.  Others do.  (That tack is more useful for sole practitioners.)

In a way, it's like "architect" itself.  Not everybody gets licensed and uses the term legitimately.  Kudos to you!

If you wait 'til September-ish, your local branch will probably offer a plan to join for 2017 but get the balance of this year included.  That's how I renewed.

May 7, 16 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Luckily my firm pays for it, but I'd gladly pay even if it didn't. Through AIA Chicago I went to ARE classes and was selected for a leadership/mentoring program which paired me with a very fun FAIA (Donna may know exactly who I'm talking about with that). Right now I'm on the Design KC committee and having fun networking/setting up events.
May 7, 16 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

do you like golf. because there is much golfing.

May 7, 16 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

design kc as in kansas city?

what letters do i put on my business card for being an active member of archinect?

May 7, 16 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Knowledge Community curtkram, but you're not the first one to think that at all.
May 7, 16 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yep, those who don't, criticize about things they know nothing about.

May 7, 16 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: