Archinect
anchor

Does anyone enjoy their Architecture job?

Dancing Wright

Hello, whomever reads this. I am new to this site and new(ish) to the idea of entering the realm of architecture, 

As a forty year old (!!) deciding to enter a new career path, all I can say is this:

Be glad you are not a forty year old deciding to start a new career path.

Seriously, college can't prepare anyone for the reality of any career. Time is the great teacher, and what most people learn as they stream through their twenties into their thirties is that things aren't always how they envision. We'd all like to  think the lessons we learned from Sesame Street about being special snowflakes would play out on a grand scale and we'd all land royal flushes in the great poker game of life, but more often than not we get handed a two and a seven to start each hand. As idealistic youth we keep throwing chips in hoping, nigh, knowing we'll land aces on the next hand,

Doesn't happen. At least not often enough to beat the odds. 

Eventually you either learn the rules of the game, conforming to the rules, or set upon to make your own game. Either way, no easy path. (quizzical was right)

To give a perspective to make ya'll feel better, I'm envious that you stuck with a path that lead you to a place where you can comfortably discuss the ups and downs of your chosen profession.Despite looking at the two and seven in my hand and knowing the odds are stacked against me, I'm just happy to be here learning to play the game,

I'm glad I found this place.

Jun 7, 16 1:23 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  Well said.  The problem with the way our society and economy work these days is that by the time you discover that your chosen profession (any profession) is not what you want, you have so much time and money invested in it that it becomes almost impossible to change course.  In an ideal world, you would go to school for a couple of years and then work (for pay!!) in the field for a few years before either returning to school or doing something else.  Going straight through from high school to Ivy League advanced degree is such a giant gamble.

Jun 7, 16 10:36 am  · 
5  · 

After 20 years, I come to terms what architecture actually is as far as my job. Having passion for architecture at work, worked against me. For a variety of reasons, I believe great architecture is getting nearly impossible to achieve. Working insane hours, for entitled, insane clients, on good, but not great projects was not worth the toll it was taking on my life.

Today, I work 8-5 monday thru friday, wednesdays I work from my home studio. I work for a mega firm doing education work, I've had the same client for the past 6 years, primarily doing mods to existing and new campus buildings. The work is boring, and often ugly, but the community and school district get useful buildings that will last. All the campuses I work on hav had little work done since built in the 1950's and 1960's. I like the client, and they like me. I get a good salary and great benefits, and since I have a 88 mile each way commute, the firm is flexible.

When at home, I can revisit my passion for Architecture with my own home, which was once my mentor and good friend's house, who was a Frank Lloyd Wright apprentice in the 1950's. I have achieved a quality life / work balance and still keep the passionate part of architecture alive at home.

Architecture can be a harsh mistress..but happily, we can still be intimate evenings and weekends..

Jun 7, 16 12:00 pm  · 
3  · 
leonnape

You seem to have achieved both work-life balance & comfort, which tells me you have progressed in your firm where deadlines and quality control are not in your direct box of responsibilities but for younger hopefully qualified staff. I've spent too many long years in 'production' mode with long ungratifying hours (many sunny summer Saturdays sobbing at my desk). Becoming a veteran of the profession with a drastic shortage of decent young talent to take the banner for the quantity of low paying contracts we have, I'm still doing long hours in production, quality control with no hope for that work-life balance and comfort. Happy some have found it. Pete Seager sang it best: ♪"Where has all the talent gone. long time passing.... To better paying jobs they've gone, to high tech and tea--ching"♪

Sep 30, 21 8:28 am  · 
geezertect

^  Sounds like a good, mature approach.

Jun 7, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
KBWagner

Thanks.

Jun 7, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
jonnelmamauag

I echo the comment that " ... happy people vent less and practically never"

In saying that, things can be better in the profession. 

Feb 15, 21 1:39 pm  · 
1  · 

Some days I love it, some days I want to murder everyone I work with. 

Seriously though it is a day by day thing.  Overall when I'm stressed I don't enjoy things much.

Feb 15, 21 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Some days I love it, other days I just hate it less than any other jobs I've had.

Feb 16, 21 6:53 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I’ve been contemplating taking happy pills to get me through the day 

Feb 27, 21 9:31 pm  · 
2  · 
zonker

With IDP, I've had to be very persuasive with PMs to get them to sign off on hrs. you really have to keep meticulous records. Just because you did the time doesn't mean that you "earned" it - what exactly did you do to satisfy each category? Was it progressive experience? or just marking time doing the same thing?

Feb 28, 21 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You act like normal, everyday things that happen in any business are personally offensive to you. Nobody is targeting you, so what are you complaining about? Having to do work? Having to work with others? Welcome to the real world. As your hypothetical boss, if you complained to me about these things, even 10% of what you do here, you'd be looking for a new job. If you have a complaint, you'd better come with a proposal to make things better.

Feb 28, 21 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I do the work. It's a personality thing, many firms don't like introverts.

Feb 28, 21 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Actually, it's fun work, worth the hours you put into it. But like anything else, as my late great Uncle said:, " blow your own horn" you have to get your face out there. be like bowling_ball or Donna Sink

Feb 28, 21 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Meatball2000

At the end of the day it's just a job, aka a part of my life.

I enjoy solving problems, having things built, and I don't have a lot of desire to get super rich. i guess that helps.

Mar 11, 21 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
dylangeurts

you have to get the job yourself and see.

May 6, 21 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
leonnape

Most of the above comments can be resumed as "People who are happy don't complain on such blogs". But I would say most entering the field of architecture are insecure ego-driven massochist who enjoy the pain, whilst dreaming of glory.... until they finally wake up to discover that life is more than just seeking an image.

Sep 30, 21 8:19 am  · 
1  ·  1
whistler

Love my job, but not married to it!

Sep 30, 21 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

It sure beats the hell out of being a generic corporate drone.

Oct 1, 21 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

What if you are a corporate drone in an architectural office?

Oct 1, 21 4:29 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

i enjoy it every time i get my pay check.

Oct 26, 21 10:15 am  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: