Archinect
anchor

Degree quality

dhummel
Is a B.Arch degree looked at the same from firm to firm, for the most part, regardless of the school if the person is skilled and competent? I'm going to start at the Academy of Art University in fall, they just received their NAAB accreditation in 2012 so I don't think their very widely known.
Any input?

May 5, 16 10:55 am
Fivescore

As with anything there are programs with better and worse reputations, and with more and less widespread reputations, and there are firms and people who care a lot about these things, and others that do not care much at all.

The one thing I'd say though is that for a lot of people for-profit colleges have negative connotations, and it may be a bit more of an uphill battle for you as a grad of one of those programs.  Some may be perfectly legit schools offering high-quality education - but many for-profits focus most on how much federal financial aid they can bring in, and how much extra  prerequisite coursework they can sell to students before they let them into degree programs, and how many additional fees for extras they can add on - and least on whether these students ever leave with a degree and get good jobs.  Some boast "99% placement after graduation" and claims of that sort, and it's not exactly a lie but what they're not telling you is that many of their placements are with temp agencies, or in less-than-desirable positions peripherally related to the student's field of study.  One of our receptionists is a grad of a for-profit arts college - she did graduate and she's a great receptionist and came here via the school's career services office - but her field of study was graphic design and she's not getting all that much experience in that when the primary responsibilities here are opening mail and processing submittals.

You should check into graduation rates and job prospects of this college (even if the architecture track is new they should be able to give you stats for the whole college), and get in touch with some of its graduates to see how they're faring in the real world.

May 5, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i would only go here if there are no public school options, very difficult to justify the tuition difference.

I think its likely that employers would see the school and assume that you only attended because your grades of portfolio wasn't good enough 

May 5, 16 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

I've a believer in the "Its not where you go to school, but what you put into it and get out of it" sentiment, but I think to go to Academy of Art University (which I am assuming is the for-profit with late night commercials) would be quite the obstacle. 

May 6, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 
dhummel
Thank you all for your input, and sorry to just get back to you now.
The reason this school is my best option is because I'm currently in the US Navy. This school provides a B.Arch program that can be done completely online, so I can still do it while I'm in. I have 2 and a half years left in the service.
My art skills aren't lacking, I've always enjoyed and thrived at art, so I think if I showed an employer a portfolio they could see that.
Mr. Mings, what do you mean quite the obstacle?
Thanks again.
May 13, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Get a degree from an accredited, brick-and-mortar school that would be recognizable to an employer.  A decent state school is fine; it doesn't have to be an Ivy.  For-profit schools have a mail order diploma mill taint to them, fair or unfair.  If predictions of a debacle in the national student loan portfolio come true, the taint will get worse.  Getting any kind of decent job in this profession is difficult enough without spending half your interview time trying to explain your degree to a skeptical interviewer.

May 13, 16 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Don't do an online degree. Being in a classroom is important. You'll learn from the other students, have serendipitous interactions around campus, get to use the library, get to know your profs, etc.  And college is a blast.

Save up, use your benefits, and go to a good public university or a private school that'll give you funding. Why rush it?  

May 13, 16 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Geezertect and anonitect summed up my reasoning for why it would be an obstacle.
May 13, 16 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

IMHO, if you're in the navy you're much better waiting until you are out, then use your GI benefits at traditional brick and mortar program.   

May 13, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
AdamFW

It would be like going to basic training online.  A lot of going to school is the feed back that you get from others and that you give.  The experience plays a big part in your education.  It would be better to get a Business degree then go into a master program when you get out.  You can still take drawing classes as your electives to help with your portfolio.  I would also take statics structures and Arch history as they are most likely to transfer, if not it's still good to know.

May 14, 16 7:56 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

While you're waiting to get out of the Navy to start school, you can be reading, reading and reading.  There are plenty ways to get some advanced preparation for the pre-requisites you will be taking.

Also, read "Architect?"  by Roger Lewis.  Good outline of the profession.

May 14, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
dhummel
Ok, all of this sounds great. I'll figure out what I'm going to do. It's just hard waiting to start something when you already want to be doing that something. Especially when I wouldn't be starting the program until I'm 23-24. But I understand that the online degree won't be looked at as nicely. So thank you.
Geezertect,
Thank you for the recommendation, do you know of any other books that could prove beneficial?
May 14, 16 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Don't worry about your age. I started mine when I was 25. That helped memory succumb to the vices of New Orleans.
May 14, 16 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Me not to succumb. Damn phone.
May 14, 16 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Some of the others on this site will have ideas for other readings.  Definitely read the standard art and architecture history texts from Jansen, Pevsner, Arnason, etc.  Coffee table picture books of architecture are fun and you can just look and think about what you like and don't like.  A larger public library will have back issues for the past 130+ years of architecture magazines like Architectural Record, and they can be very addicting.  You can follow the history of 20th century American architecture just looking at the photos and analyzing the floor plans, etc.  My list would probably strike most others as dated by now since I'm an old guy.  Some of the theory books you probably will ultimately reject as nonsense, but just the act of reading, understanding, pondering, and accepting or rejecting them will teach you something.  Don't be surprised if you find some of them to be impenetrable jargon and gibberish.  They are, so don't spend an inordinate amount of time and energy trying to get through them.

Everyone should read lots of biographies.  Not just of architects, but engineers, inventors, politicians, soldiers, athletes, kings and queens.  Biographies allow you to see how others dealt with obstacles in their lives and overcame them (or not).  Everybody has a story to tell.

May 14, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Mario Salvadori's Why Buildings Stand Up and Why Buildings Fall Down are great books that I really enjoyed reading while I was waiting for school to start.

Maybe pick up a sketchbook and do some drawing, too.

May 14, 16 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

I started school while I was in the military(45 years ago). Classes were free and were taught by professors from 2 of the state schools near the base.

I would see if this is an option where you are stationed. You might be able to enroll for night classes if there is a university near the base.

This would only be for non architecture core courses like english, history etc.

I would echo the other posters that on line courses would not be worth the time and expense.

If these are not possible, read (not just about architecture ) and draw in bound sketchbooks.

May 14, 16 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

I agree, being with other students in a classroom is very important for studio courses. There are a number of community colleges which transfer into 4/5 year programs which have night courses. If you can find one near your base, that would be best, so you can attend in person classes, then transfer once you are done with military. Here is a VERY important piece of information however, only go to a community college where you know they have a transfer agreement with a 4/5 year program and know you can get into. Otherwise, you an run into a problem where the school will not take your classes. Also, if you decide to start off at the Art Institute, please note that you might get transfer credit for all of your classes taken there. Unfortunately, just because a school is accredited does not mean that other programs have to acknowledge their courses as equal to the school you are attempting to transfer to. It is VERY hard to transfer architecture programs unless you are transferring between schools with a similar reputation. It is best to start at the same school you will finish off at, so you can get in and get out quickly. You can complete studios faster by taking summer study abroad programs. Please note that studio classes all go in sequence though. You could always try to get the math, architectural history, pro practice, theory, structures and physics classes out of the way before the others though. It is not easy working a full time job while going to architecture school, I was one of the only people in my entire programs who worked full time while going to school full time. You will get very little sleep! Good luck with whatever you decide. When the economy collapses again, which it will(because it's cyclical) the firms will start to definitely care where you graduated from. In addition, you starting salary will be affected by where you graduate from as well. After that, if you are smart, the sky is the limit. Just be confident in whatever you decide to do.

Jun 3, 16 4:06 am  · 
 · 
x intern
I used the gi bill and tuition reimbursement avail through the guard to get through school. It was a pretty good deal back then (8years ago) and I've hear from the young guys in my unit it's gotten better. Take the time and enjoy arch school. Never again will you get to design with no budget and only loose connection with reality. Pick up a few basic classes and try to get through calculus before starting at a university unless your good with languages knock these out to, they killed me during studio. Figure out where you want to go to university and make sure the classes you are taking will transfer. Good luck
Jun 3, 16 10:16 am  · 
 · 
x intern
I used the gi bill and tuition reimbursement avail through the guard to get through school. It was a pretty good deal back then (8years ago) and I've hear from the young guys in my unit it's gotten better. Take the time and enjoy arch school. Never again will you get to design with no budget and only loose connection with reality. Pick up a few basic classes and try to get through calculus before starting at a university unless your good with languages knock these out to, they killed me during studio. Figure out where you want to go to university and make sure the classes you are taking will transfer. Good luck
Jun 3, 16 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: