Archinect
anchor

Does anyone recognize this NYC building?

ikaplan91

I am trying to determine the identity of the building within the photo below. Based on the irregular curvature of the windows, and the visibility of the surrounding buildings, I am hoping that someone may have some insight. 

Any comments would be much appreciated!

May 4, 16 5:34 pm
poop876

Sigourney Weaver

May 4, 16 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

def. midtown

May 4, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

May 4, 16 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

madison or 5th ave possibly high 40's, def. up to 58th

May 4, 16 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

is that the Rock or Waldorf or some other 1930's building in background, near balcony. btw doing this from memory, more fun that way

May 4, 16 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

51st street and 6th avenue

May 4, 16 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Bulgar, think that is the correct background. the building itself from interior appears 1980's maybe. ok cheating now, using google maps and bing.

May 4, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Sheraton Times Square looking  east along 52nd?

There's a new condo east of the hotel, maybe the old building had the unique balcony?

May 4, 16 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

damn sneaky you good. i thought that as well, but they re did a lot of the facade.. thats the hotel with the super high atrium and pod like elevator riding up the visible core right? would make sense for the news article

May 4, 16 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

Looks way more like the JP Morgan Chase and UBS Buildings at 48/Park Ave than Times Square. 

"thats the hotel with the super high atrium and pod like elevator riding up the visible core right?" - You mean Portman's Marriott? Thats at 45/Broadway. 

May 5, 16 12:46 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

James, I mixed up hotels.

You could equally be right as the Waldorf is around the corner from those buildings you cite.

Some internet searching revealed, our posters page is from:  Sigourney Weaver’s interview – Harper’s Bazaar – October 1996

from same article

May 5, 16 1:41 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Sneaky its confirmed and most likely the Sheraton......I was in a cab today heading up Avenue of Americas. We stopped at light at 53rd and i looked to my left and realized the building on the left absolutely matched the building on left in this photo (from Memory) i noticed the building across the street south side (52nd street) absolutely matched the building on the right in the photo. As he drove north I noticed a setback with possible matching railing on the building end of street - approx. 20th floor. This building is the Sheraton at Times Square (52nd to 53rd and 7th Ave). The shot is from 52nd and 7th Ave facing East - as Sneaky said. You will see the Rockefellar Center in background from Google Maps Street view. SneakyPete is 100% correct, now a new condo is going up. The setback is on the North side of the block and I do not believe you could get this shot from there. At the east end of the Sheraton there appears to be a firestair entire height of building. Since you see the top of the rock which is about 10 floors shorter than the Sheraton then its a good chance photo was taken from the hotel Penthouse.

May 6, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

more info on building - 1962: Designed by famous architect Morris Lapidus, the present-day Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel opened as the Loews Americana. Its 53-story structural dip design allowed guests to have better views of the city from their rooms, and it became NYC’s tallest concrete frame building.

May 6, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

major reconstruction post photos. Sneaky you got it, def. from that building, top floors.

May 6, 16 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

appears BBG (Brennan Beer Gorman) may of designed the remodel in 1992

NYC Times link, too bad no renderings or images available

May 6, 16 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: