Archinect
anchor

Dalhousie BEDS, 2016

magnoliids

Hi, I am a life sciences student from U of T, and I applied for Dalhousie's BEDS program. Since (most of?) the admission decisions will be made soon, I am feeling a bit anxious, and was wondering if anyone has heard back.

Also, I have included my portfolio. I know that it would have been significantly more helpful to post this before submitting my application, but... oh well I guess. Please let me know what you think, and in particular, if you think the committee might like it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t48k713rk6j0qdq/dalhousieportfolio.pdf?dl=0

Thanks a lot.

May 4, 16 2:45 am
gmcwilson47

Hi,

I got the email this morning saying we should hear Friday or next week. The pins and needles of waiting are getting overwhelming!

How are you holding up with the wait?

G

May 9, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
magnoliids

I got the email too-- love her little motivation quotes, haha. Waiting doesn't feel pleasant, but at least I have some projects and work to distract me.

To be honest, my main concerns are that I may have sounded a bit outlandish on my letter of intent (mentioned design inspired by organisms, etc), and the second thing is that I submitted my portfolio in one of those Itoya black portfolios you can get from Deserres (stupid, I know).

I also got waitlisted (in the "top half") for Calgary's foundation year. Hopefully one of these two works out for me in the end. Good luck to you, also!

May 9, 16 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
tuck

Uh oh I did not get an email! Was it sent to all applicants or was it personal? At least it's good to know that the earliest day is Friday. That same woman with the motivational quotes told me months ago that they would be accepting people earliest mid-May, which is still way later than all other programs. 

Good luck!

May 10, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
AceofArch

Same here I didn't get the second email, just the first one. We'll see!

May 10, 16 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
magnoliids

"Hello Possible BEDS students,

This is just to let you know that you will be receiving results messages (emails or phone calls) regarding your applications beginning end of week on Friday May 13 and throughout next week.  Thanks for your patience as I work on the letters and get the messages out to you.  Talk to you soon.

Cheers, Susanna"

May 10, 16 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
lr342

has anyone found out yet?

May 12, 16 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
AceofArch

I got in :D :D :D Wooohooo 4 years of dreaming!

May 16, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
magnoliids

congrats!!!

I haven't heard back yet, but I got into Calgary, and will prob take up that offer. Hope you enjoy Halifax!!

May 16, 16 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
tuck

I emailed Susanna this morning and she responded with an acceptance letter!

There seems to be a catch though as it says: "on the condition that you successfully complete one approved university course that emphasizes writing and one approved university course in Humanities and submit two copies of the transcript(s) to the School of Architecture by 31 August 2016."

Anyone else have any conditions attached?

May 17, 16 9:39 am  · 
 · 
gmcwilson47

Congratulations tuck!

What did you say in your email? Now I want to email her, but I don't know what to say!

May 17, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
lr342

I just emailed her asking about the status of my application and she said she'll get to my file today or tomorrow..

May 17, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Susannah is still there? Man. She is the only good thing about that program.

May 17, 16 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
tuck

Yikes... Stephanie, care to elaborate? 

May 17, 16 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
magnoliids

I got in. Not sure which school I'll be going to anymore, Calgary or Dalhousie...

May 18, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ Dal

May 18, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 
gmcwilson47

Has anyone else not heard yet. I get a feeling that not having heard is a really bad sign...

May 19, 16 10:59 am  · 
 · 
AceofArch

Did you guys understand when the deposit is due? I couldn't find it on the website.

May 21, 16 3:43 am  · 
 · 
walterwong

I couldn't bear the wait and emailed Susanna. She told me I was on the "high wait list." Anyone on this list? Wondering what my chances are.

May 26, 16 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
deemel

@walterwong .....I'm on the high wait list as well.  I believe this list is usually 15 people and the other wait list after that is 15.

May 27, 16 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
walterwong

@deemel oh only 15 people? Then our chances aren't too bad!

May 28, 16 1:50 am  · 
 · 
gmcwilson47

Has anyone on the waitlist heard yet? The first wait was bad, but the second one may drive me over the edge!

Jun 27, 16 10:11 am  · 
 · 
carlab

I agree. does anyone know how transfer students affect the wait list or if they do at all? I was looking at the website and their application date was as late as June 1st. would that affect us at all?

Jun 29, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
deemel

@gmwilson I'm also still waiting on the high wait list. @carlab Depending on your definition of transfer student I don't think it would affect these lists, as decisions were made all depending on grades/portfolio etc. When I applied Susanna advised me I should apply as a transfer srudent.

Jul 6, 16 8:58 am  · 
 · 
carlab

got in!! good luck to everyone

Jul 6, 16 10:22 am  · 
 · 
tuck

I just gave up my spot, so congratulations to whoever is up next on the wait-list!

Jul 6, 16 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
deemel

I got a call this morning, i'm in! ( thanks for the spot @tuck! )

Jul 7, 16 9:27 am  · 
 · 
walterwong

@tuck When was the deadline for rejecting your offer?

Jul 9, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
tuck

@walterwong I think it was July 8

Jul 11, 16 9:23 am  · 
 · 
walterwong

@tuck Thanks. That's bad news because it means everyone who wants to reject would have rejected by now. =S Wonder why they retire the waitlist 3 weeks after July 8 though.

Jul 11, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
walterwong
I got in! Roommate anyone? =p
[email protected]
Jul 15, 16 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
deemel

@walterwong awesome news, see you in class in September!

Jul 15, 16 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
jm96

has anyone on the waitlist heard back? (not high waitlist) 

Jul 17, 16 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
magnoliids

So... I've accepted the offer from Dal (thanks Non Sequiter).

Walter, I'd follow up on that offer, but I've already found a room in some family's attic a few min. south of Medjuck (because I'm poor).

Best of luck to those on the wait list.

Susan

Jul 23, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
magnoliids

Non Sequitur*

Jul 23, 16 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: