Archinect
anchor

Need help with Applying for Masters in Architecture

Apoorva91

I am an Architect, from India, Graduated in 2014 from a fairly normal college with decent grades and distinction. Im still not clear on GPA conversion but it will be above 3.5...

Now i wish to apply for Masters this year so that i can start from 2017. But its very confusing. I have gone through quite some forums and lot of university websites...i still have no clear picture. Please help. Any information on all fronts is welcome..

Ill be applying to the following schools: MIT, Yale, Harvard, UCLA, Columbia GSAAP, Cornell

My queries lie in the following areas:

1. It looks like SoP is one of the most important things in an application. Since Applications haven't started yet as it is still May, i don't know instructions. But i want to start writing them immediately. So how many words should i write my SoP in? Will all the universities have a different prompt? should i wait until applications start before writing my SoP? Which university of the above asks for prompts and how many words of SoP do they usually ask?

2. What about portfolio? Does it have to be PDF or can you give issuu.com link?
how many sheets are ideal portfolio? a sheet includes 2 pages? or 1 side=1 sheet?

Can i include my resume and co curricular activities in portfolio? or should that be a separate thing? should portfolio include only works related to architecture?

3. My GRE score is 159V/160Q/5AWA ...is it better if i give it again for better score?

4. What about financial Aid? should i apply for it before i give my actual application? or can i apply for financial aid only after my application is finished & submitted?

5. Will work experience matter a lot in consideration?

6. I have very good co-curricular activities and volunteering experience. Will any of this count? if so, how much?

Please Help! any insight and reply Highly appreciated...Thanks in Advance....

May 2, 16 2:58 pm
accesskb

I haven't applied for grad school yet but here are my thoughts..

1.  Never too early to start working on your SoP and portfolio in general.  Ask for advice. Revise.

2.  Think of your pdf as a book.  It'll have content on both sides and flow together as a whole.  You'll most likely have to attach a pdf copy but once you have the panels/images for each page ready, its easy to convert to a pdf or issuu link.  As for resume ad co curricular activities, I usually include it in the back of the portfolio.  You can attach it in the front like a table of contents and can include your SoP also.

3.  No comments on GRE score.

4. No comments

5. I think anyone can list their past work experience.  Getting recommendation letters or references will have more weight.

6. I think co-curricular activities will matter a lot.  Aside from just having a kick ass portfolio, they want to see what experiences you will bring to the school, the architecture profession and community and use that to drive your education and tackle critical issues.

May 2, 16 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Laurila

So, the statement is very similar for all of the schools, and each one will specify length requirements. All want you to address the same questions: why architecture? what have you done? what do you want from the program? what can you offer the program? 

I think for Masters, there isn't a really a place for your resume in your portfolio, as there is actually a separate place in the application for it, so I would advise against it in the portfolio.

Your GRE is decent, and it ranks low on the list of things you should be worrying about for applying. It always helps to have a higher score, but there are things like your portfolio, recommendations, and statement that far outweigh the GRE.

Most universities, if there is financial aid for international students, I think would consider you for it upon submitting your application. But I don't know much about fin aid for international students, so that's all I'll say.

Co-curriculars definitely matter and I would include them in your resume. 

May 3, 16 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

1. The SOP is not more important than the portfolio. A great SOP cannot compensate for a mediocre portfolio. Start working on your folio right now and get a rough draft first. After you have a significant direction, write the SOP so that they both tell a story together. The content of your SOP should be related to the kind of work you're showcasing in your portfolio.

2. Depends on the university's limits. Generally, it's ideal to make a 20-25 page folio and cut it down for universities with strict requirements. 1 spread = 2 pages. 1 sheet = 1 page = 1 side.

3. Your GRE is fine. Don't worry about it.

4. As you're an international student, you cannot apply for financial aid separately. That option is only for American students. Your application will automatically be considered for any scholarships if you submit it before their deadlines and you will be notified accordingly.

5. Work experience matters only if you have made significant contributions to the projects you worked on. You can include those projects in your portfolio where you were responsible for core ideas, etc.

6. Co-curriculars do matter, but not more than your portfolio, SOP, LORs and scores.

May 4, 16 5:55 am  · 
 · 
Apoorva91

Thank you SO MUCH dear accesskb, Laurila, Anonymoose for your insights!

This is really great information. I couldn't find this post on the forum and did not receive notifications on answers either! Hence the late reply..Cross checked all settings too.

Anyways, thanks again, I feel this has clarified quite a lot of things! 

May 17, 16 3:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: