Archinect
anchor

second interview?/ san diego junior designer avg salary?

ine433

I interviewed for a junior designer/drafter position around 3 weeks ago and it went very well. I was asked to submit some supplemental information which I submitted a little over a week after and got a call the day after asking me to come in to "answer some questions and talk about what expect from the jobs in terms of salary, etc." 

I am actually getting a bit nervous as I am pretty clueless as to what they want to talk to me about and also dont know what to ask for salary. I was making $26 hourly(after 3 raises in a year), plus extra for overtime and full benefits (it was an amazing company) at my last job in San Francisco but I know the market is different here in San Diego. I heard that $18 hourly is what someone with a year of experience would make. I have a little over a year of experience but have only worked on Autocad and rhino professionally along with adobe suite programs. I have great references and the chairmen at my last job wrote me an amazing recc leter for me since I worked well with all the clients and had great experiences. Everything I worked on was actually built/completed and most of these projects I was the only designer on, with only the principal guiding me. I am not sure if I am crazy to ask for $18 considering that I dont have any professional experience with revit or sketchup, I only know what I have followed from tutorials online. I graduated from undergrad program 2 years ago and havent dont a masters yet.. This new job has full benefits and even a great professional development program so I am willing to be flexible on pay. However, I dont want to be underpaid as I do have quite a bit of loan payments to do and was getting paid considerably more in SF

Could someone give me some advice on what a second interview has been like and also it would be great to hear what a salary for someone with my experience is making in San Diego. Its a small firm of less than 10 people located in Northern San Diego beach area. 

Thanks!

May 1, 16 4:31 am
Median

You should ask for atleast $20 an hour and feel confident about it, if they think that is too high (which it isn't) and they like you, they would negotiate with you. For someone with a year of experience, in a coastal city, you would be underpaid if you were not making at least $20 an hour.

May 1, 16 5:19 am  · 
 · 
ine433

@Median thanks so much for your reply, I am leaning towards asking for at least $20 after some research I have done but would hate to scare them off if it is too high. It feels like a great fit and after a few months of trying to find a good company I don't want them to loose interest. It is obviously important to be well compensated though and I think $20 feels best. 

Any tips/info for a second interview? She said "to ask additional questions and to learn more about my expectations from the job". I am planning on taking my portfolio/resumes as I did last time, should I also take my reference letter?

May 1, 16 5:54 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Tell them you were making $52,000 a year in your last job. The implication is that you should start above that figure. San Diego is also a high cost of living area, of course. If they come down from that they might not come down too much. Also, ask about overtime. Doing it once and a while is no big deal, Continually working 60 hours a week for 40 hours of pay is a big deal.

May 1, 16 8:04 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Be careful posting so much info about yourself (first name, job locations) on a public forum that could let prospective employers identify you, especially during negotiation.  You don't want to weaken your position.

Meantime, good luck!

May 1, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

I am with "Volunteer", who gave solid advise. Make sure you ask for the overtime!

May 27, 16 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: