Archinect
anchor

Which is a better school for MA in Architecture, Royal College of Art London or Aarhus School of Architecture?

int_app

I got into the MA in Architecture programme in RCA and Aarhus, and I would like to know more about both the courses and also the difference, so that I can I could make up my mind as to which college to choose and which one to reject.

Apr 30, 16 2:31 pm
post?

As a current second year architecture student at the RCA I would say choose the RCA if you are interested in a very open and free thinking study environment. The school incorporates a number of different studios/Advanced Design Studios (ADS's, currently 7) offering a breadth of approaches to both study and architecture, you can read more about these here (http://www.rca.ac.uk/schools/school-of-architecture/architecture/ads-themes-201516/). Taught by some fantastic tutors and housed in a busy and creative post-graduate school, you will be encouraged to pursue your own ideas within the maxim of the studio. Your second year is roughly split in to two, with the first half being primarily dedicated to research, which culminates in the WIP Show (Work in Progress) in February. This is always a fantastic opportunity to create work, often fairly abstract and not so architectural, that asserts a position on your research topic, cementing a direction to pursue the rest of the year. The year then culminates in a final design project that is examined in the form of an oral presentation of curated work on a wall. The presentation on this occasion is key, and necessary with the complex projects that are often being put forward. The first year of study follows this course, with the addition of a One-to-One project (where you detail and build an element of your project at 1:1, after a series of one-on-one technical tutorials) and technical exams after your final design review that constitute the necessary Part II requirements to allow you to work freely from these in your second year. This is one of the things that really sets the RCA apart as it really frees up your creativity to address your project independently and on your own terms. Subsequent to all this, and in line with RCA tradition, a dissertation is started in the first year of study, and submitted on return to second year/end of summer break, offering students the opportunity to explore a chosen topic that often forms the basis of their research topics for their second year of study. This is supervised by various extra-architectural dep. tutors who encourage you to explore any topics, however architectural or non-architectural.

In summary, I would say that RCA is a fantastic school for many reasons. Its is very open, while being guided by some very talented studio tutors. It draws a similarly open-minded student body who provide a fantastic environment to study within (for an idea check out the RCA.Architecture Instagram run entirely by students). It is situated in an incredible post-graduate design school that offers you endless opportunities to collaborate and be inspired, the facilities to create prototypes/models are also fairly unparalleled in the cities design schools, and there are plenty of lectures and seminars across the schools programmes attend. And finally, its situated in London, a great city with a lot to offer when you're not studying! If this sounds like what you're after then I'd say go for it. I can't really speak for Aarhus as my experience of the school is limited to second hand knowledge from a few friends, but there's definitely nothing else like the RCA in London. 

May 6, 16 8:12 am  · 
 · 
int_app

@post? Thank you so much for taking your time and giving your insights about the school. I got a really clear understanding of how the school functions. I would like to know how easy are the faculty to approach. Also, is it possible if your could PM me your mail id so that I could clear all my doubts about the college. 

May 24, 16 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: