Archinect
anchor

Hostel in California code question

So, I'm working on a hostel and I have my guestrooms with mobility features per table 11B-224.2 (4 in my case).

My question is about the other 50+ rooms.  Am I required to have the maneuvering clearances at the doors into the rooms?

Per 11B-224.1.2 "Guest room doors and doorways"

"Entrances, doors, and doorways providing user passage into and within guest rooms that are not required to provide mobility features complying with Section 11B-806.2 shall comply with Section 11B-404.3 (comment: this is for 32" clearance). Bathroom doors shall be either sliding or hung to swing in the direction of egress from the bathroom"

^ This makes me think I don't need the maneuvering clearance.  It just mentions clear width in the doorway for the non-mobility feature rooms.

A second question I have about these non-mobility feature rooms, is what requirements do I have for the bathrooms besides the door opening out and being able to have a 30x48 wheelchair space touch all of the fixtures (per 11B-603.6).

I know I can increase the bays to get the clearance, but I want to know if I have to.  These are tight hostel single rooms, not hotel rooms.

Sorry for the boring question :)

Apr 26, 16 6:41 pm
shellarchitect

didn't the ada requirements apply to all rooms? im not familiar with the req. specific to ca. but I've never had doors the way your showing on a project. even if somehow legal itd be very uncomfortable

Apr 26, 16 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

Going from memory, ADA and CBC ch. 11B apply to all parts of the structure, but a certain percentage of the hostel rooms have to comply with more stringent regulations. After all, what if the house keeper requires accessible access, and needs to get to all spaces? or a building official...

Apr 27, 16 12:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: