Archinect
anchor

Building Permit Mess

SouthFLA_J

Here's a little history before I get into the thick of my issue: I recently started working for a new company as the permit tech. This particular project was submitted before I started and I came in when it was time for corrections at the building department. On to the problem, this particular project involves two buildings (one master permit for each building). We have 3 subpermits but one of them was linked to the wrong master. I need to fix this tomorrow and I've never encountered this type of mess. I guess my question is will it be a simple easy fix, just changing the address and master permit number or do I run the risk of the building department voiding the permit all together and having to start from scratch. BTW, the structure has already been built and passed final inspection. I know every building department is different but if anyone has had a similar situation happen please share. Thanks in advance and and all info is appreciated.

Apr 24, 16 11:14 am
poop876

Just go to the building dept and fix the clerical error. Happens all the time and it's not a big deal at all. Sometime though there are small fees for changing things depending on who made the error.

Apr 24, 16 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

We would need to know where (state and city), and what was involved with obtaining the permits in the first place, in order to answer this accurately.  While it may be as simple as calling or visiting the building department, discussing it, and changing the paperwork, in some locales it will automatically void the permit application and you'll have to start over.  If there was anything that originally involved public notice or hearing then in most places it is supposed to void the process and start it over.  Two absolute worst case scenarios with which I am familiar eventually resulted in demolition of newly constructed buildings. 

Apr 24, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

SC,

I have a hard time believing that, simply because of an address error! 

Apr 25, 16 10:54 am  · 
 · 
baker1

I think you could fix the clerical error. Just bring with yourself all evidence you have.

Apr 25, 16 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

When there's a public warning or hearing process a simple error can mean the whole original proceedings get nullified and it all has to start again.  When that happens it sometimes ends in an entirely different decision than the first time - because it can attract a different group of interested parties, and it can give any original opposition more time and a new chance to make their case, and by now the the original decision makers may have been replaced with a new cast of characters who don't see it the same way. 

I know of two cases - both residential projects in New England - where the original application was voided, and the new one resulted in an order to demolish the original building.  In both of those situations the project owners sued the jurisdictions, on the basis that they should have caught the errors in the original applications in the first place.  In one case the owner won a subtantial amount - but was still barred from rebuilding on the desired site.  In the other it went all the way to the state supreme court and the property owner lost.

Apr 25, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: