Archinect
anchor

Advice for a transfer student.

Jviking

I just got accepted into good ole SLO. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should prepare myself for their program, what I should try to get out the program while there, and any miscellaneous things you think I should know before heading up this fall.

Thank you for your input!

-Jerrod

Apr 24, 16 11:12 am
gdub

SLO is none for it's ability to teach it's student a strong foundation with respect to structural design. It will be important to do well in Physics because if you understand Physics, you will have a better understanding of forces which will help you in your Structures Courses. Also, if you can get an internship during the summer with a construction company early on and can regularly visit sites, it will make it easier to understand what they are teaching you in your Structures Courses and your Methods and Materials courses. Everything you do in studio will go into your portfolio. Your portfolio is what determines if you get hired by a firm, in addition to your personality, etc. Some of the large firms will ask you for your gpa in college and most companies do background checks. Getting an open container ticket, DUI, etc will not look good when you need a background check for a job, so be careful who you hang out with during college. If you can do the summer study abroad, take the opportunity! Remember your professors work for firms or have lots of friends who work for firms. If you befriend them and do well in your classes, they can be your golden ticket to a job after college or a summer internship. SLO is a party school, befriend engineering students who can help you in Physics, Calculus, Structures, etc and don't get pulled into drinking too much, otherwise your studio grades will suffer. It's very hard to study for Structures exam, Physics exam or Calculas exam when you are hung over. Get a 3D printer or learn how to use one quickly. Get a good computer and learn Photoshop, Revit, Illustrator ahead of time if possible. Go to the store and buy a sketchbook now and start drawing weekly, daily. Start small then work to sketching buildings that are around you. Good hand drawings work wonders to save you in studio crits and is a tool that will be helpful throughout your career. If you can get good at drawing now, it will go a long way! Haha, hopefully the above doesn't cause you anxiety. You will do fine! Have fun.

Jun 3, 16 5:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: