Archinect
anchor

Anything good about being an architect?

uthmn

I'm a graduating mechanical engineering student who is considering transitioning to the architecture field. Growing up I was naturally drawn to the profession and I used to design buildings and make 3-D models from cardboard just for fun. I chose to study engineering over architecture in college because of the higher salary and the stability one experiences in the engineering field. However, I'm just genuinely not into engineering which is why I am looking to architecture. But so many people make architecture seem like a black hole of a profession, little satisfaction and a low salary.  So I would like to know, do any practicing architects actually ENJOY what they do? Is there anything remotely positive about being in the architectural design field?

Apr 20, 16 7:17 pm
curtkram

we do it for the money and fame.

Apr 20, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Does drawing blueprints of handicap accessible toilet stalls for 5 years 10 hours a day for 40k a year sound like something you could be into? Then go for it!

Apr 20, 16 7:24 pm  · 
1  · 
lacalr

It's a whole lot of drawing lines but if it's truly your passion you can find positive aspects all around. But if you get deterred easily by what other people say i'd maybe stick with engineering. You have to really want to be in the design field to find satisfaction in it, it really isn't something you can half ass. 

Apr 20, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Free tile and countertop samples that double as coasters.

Apr 20, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

You probably cant handle all the pussy, money, fast cars, and cocaine that comes with being an architect, it takes quite the tolerance to handle so much wealth and fame. 

All in all, it not for everyone.

Apr 20, 16 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

If there was not something to it, there would not be so many people willing to put up with so much shit to do it.

Apr 20, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"If there was not something to it, there would not be so many people willing to put up with so much shit to do it."

Same goes for prison.

Apr 20, 16 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If you don't like mechanical engineering have you considered switching to civil engineering? Art is where you find it and where you make it.

Apr 20, 16 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I can't even tell you how many celebrities I've had to take out restraining order for. They just keep coming after me.

Apr 20, 16 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

When some candy ass software developer says, "I am a software architect," I get to respond, "well, I am a real Architect."

Boom!

Panties drop.

"60% of the time, it works every time."

Apr 21, 16 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

I wear a life jacket everywhere I go, as I'm afraid of drowning in the insane amount of pussy I get just at the slightest hint of my occupation. It's pretty hectic out there, like, female-wise. So, be warned.

Apr 21, 16 8:08 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

But the software architect will probably make double what you do D:

Apr 21, 16 8:19 am  · 
 · 
midlander

^self-importance is worth more than money ;)

Apr 21, 16 8:38 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

^ Why do you consider an architect more important than a software architect? surely the money value shows how much more important they are.

Apr 21, 16 8:44 am  · 
 · 

There are good things about this profession, but sadly enough this isn't the right place to ask that question. Too much negative sentiment and snarky comments, not enough optimism or honesty. The profession has its faults, but designers have the ability to help it evolve with time, not sit back and throw stones.

Just my opinion of course. 

If you're serious about getting more info on this profession it might be easier to find a designer in your area and talk to them in person. You'll likely get a much more honestly answer that way. 

Apr 21, 16 9:02 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^self-importance is worth more than money ;)

Standing in front of the mirror convincing myself that I'm Napolean is what gets me through the day.

Seriously, 95% of the profession is underpaid drudgery, so only 5% or so of architects have fun on a consistent basis.  If you think you have enough contacts to get prime clients, then you may be able to get in that position.  Otherwise, your instinct to stay away was correct.

Great hobby, lousy profession.

But, I'm sure the resident Pollyannas will be chiming in any moment.

Apr 21, 16 9:48 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

its all about the nookie!  #1 Sexy

Apr 21, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Driko

Don't do it. You will waste your time and money. 

Being an architect is much like the tasks you will be presented at any other job. A lot of staring at a computer and organizing until they feel comfortable enough to actually let you design. The pay is pretty low across the board and everyone who studies architecture thinks they can fix that problem just by starting their own practice. 

If you want to do something creative just get into woodworking/fabrication. Buy a sketch book, take a painting class, an illustration/digital graphic design course and keep your day job. 

just read up on some architecture theory and look at other students projects. Try entering in some competitions (most of them will tell you the requirements for presentation boards and project parameters) Learn to use Sketchup and photoshop @ (alex hogerefe @ visualizingarchitecture.com/) Learn how to layout a project to make it look clean and submit. Build your portfolio and if you can get some recognition from these competitions you can probably be a designer at most firms. 

Apr 21, 16 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

or... just don't take a job as a drone in a 300+ person office and then spend your time complaining about your $18/hr "career" trying to pay back 200K worth of student loans.

Plenty of people are doing just fine. They are just not a vocal as the fools I describe above.

Apr 21, 16 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

This thread illustrates another theory why so few women stay in the profession. 

Apr 21, 16 10:43 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I found that the profession got a lot better after the first 5 years. At 20 years now I really enjoy it. Prob make more money doing something else, but could be a lot worse too.
Apr 21, 16 10:58 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@senjohnblutarsky

When some candy ass software developer says, "I am a software architect," I get to respond, "well, I am a real Architect."

While the software architect makes real money, the real architect makes software money.

Apr 21, 16 11:06 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

In truth, I like what I do.

But it takes a special type of person to do that. 

Apr 21, 16 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

When your an intern drafting someone else's design you can be miserable and bitter or realize you are learning how to be an architect. When you finally get to design a building and stand in it while Its eing built you understand why people love it. You don't get there if your a whiny intern who doesn't see the point of getting your license. Don't let this forum guide your decision. 

Apr 21, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
"Seriously, 95% of the profession is underpaid drudgery, so only 5% or so of architects have fun on a consistent basis."

Or as Liz Diller likes to call the 95% of us- "slaves"

Way to respect your colleagues. This is biggest insult I've heard from a supposed leader in architecture. We all criticize each other and argue, but writing off everyone but her starchitect peers as slaves to the service industry is fucked up.
Apr 21, 16 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

OP get your PE first.  If you are still interested in architecture after that go for it.

Apr 21, 16 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Did she actually say that?

Apr 21, 16 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

from her conversation with julia right here on archinect;

The idea of even putting something out there: that was sheer naïveté! But it worked because it was naive and we weren’t stopped by cynicism, and the idea of not getting anything done, which I think a lot of architects feel. They just can’t get things done. They’re slaves in a kind of service industry. And that’s not what I’m interested in.

Apr 21, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Nice, bitch is looking down on all her peers.

Apr 21, 16 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Doesn't sound like she's looking down on her peers so much as she's lamenting the reality of the profession for most of the people in it.

Apr 21, 16 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

having lunch with my 5 year old on a tuesday while i make money doing something I enjoy.

Apr 21, 16 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Lol, her work takes average talent + lots of connections.  That's all.  Many architects, at least 1/10th could produce work of equal or greater caliber with big budgets and elite connections.  

Apr 21, 16 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

if you really like buildings and feel content working in an office most of the time you'll probably enjoy it to some extent. I do, but I think I'm easily satisfied. Probably would have been very happy as an engineer too.

Apr 21, 16 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

So, one famous architect flips the bird to a questioner in a public meeting and a semi-famous architect calls her coworkers "slaves" in an interview? Is this really professional behavior?

Apr 22, 16 8:13 am  · 
 · 
3tk

I made the switch from civil/structural - just couldn't deal with sitting around doing tedious calculations and looking at lines on the computer.  It didn't translate as easily to built environments (yes, architecture can be that way, but in most of the places I worked I got to do conceptual drawings that eventually got built).

I enjoy being able to imagine beautiful spaces, working with talented coworkers who love art and the science of building environments and seeing the joy in clients and public's faces.  It's funny so many people making way more than I do envy my job because I can be excited by it everyday (if I take the time to enjoy it).  The hours and pay aren't bad after the first part of the career path if you learn how to handle your work efficiently.

Apr 22, 16 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

whatever.  DS+R's thing is folded planes, yet they "couldn't figure out" how to align a few floor plates between the folk art museum and MOMA.  its pretty common knowledge that the architects of record on their projects do 90% of the heavy lifting. 

Apr 22, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

And then you proceed with ingratiating them, so you can do their backyard remodel?

Apr 22, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@bu0825:

Driko: "If you want to do something creative just get into woodworking/fabrication. Buy a sketch book, take a painting class, an illustration/digital graphic design course and keep your day job."

This is BY FAR the best advice offered here. I second that 100%. 

You need to experience the artistic "catharsis", and you need a creative outlet. Painting, or graphics, illustration, sketches. Or, try urban sketching. Sculpture, playing an instrument. Starting a web comic. 

Listen to this mathematician playing the piano.

Of course, all these being hobbies while you keep the engineering job.

Apr 22, 16 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
nevo

If I were you I'd work for a year or two at somewhere relevant to architecture, bank some money (which you will need to get through arch school anyway), then apply if you're still interested. The work experience will put you in a better position coming out of school than the average arch grad. You'll have interesting options on the Eng side (facade design consultancies, ARUP, etc) as well as the traditional architecture career path if you want that.

A lot of the people on this forum are so bitter and so narrowly focused on the problems in their own profession (of which there are many, no doubt) that they forget that other career paths (even engineering!) have their own downsides as well.

That being said, the advice of posters like AdianFGA is also something to consider. If you're just looking for a fun hobby then a traditional eng career path would likely give you more "fun time." That's why I emphasize - while you're banking money try to work in an area of engineering where you're able to come in contact with architects. It will give you some perspective.

Apr 22, 16 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Michael Adams

Everything is good about been an architect!

Apr 22, 16 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

^ Intentional past tense?

Apr 22, 16 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

best part of being an architect is retiring! woot!

Apr 22, 16 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
KBWagner

It pays enough to live a nice life. I get darn good benefits, manageable hours, flexibilty, I have a good life / work balance, have a great house, cool stuff, and a hot wife. Architecture has been pretty damn good to me!

Apr 22, 16 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
uthmn

Thanks to everyone who gave honest and insightful comments. I understand everyone's experiences are different so I will take them with a grain of salt as I continue to grapple with this decision.

Apr 24, 16 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

[posted in wrong thread]

Apr 25, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Anything good about being an architect?

Oh yes, if put it in your okcupid profile that you'r an architect, blonde Midwest girls are sending you alot more notifications than if you said you are a priest or a retailer...

They hope to find a rich husband.

I am afraid they are wrong. 

Apr 25, 16 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Designing and building houses for yourself... ( no clients ) and selling them both for several million dollars each and pocketing well over a million dollar profit on each. Designing and Building smarter, with more sophistication and selling to folks who appreciate the subtly and extra effort. Also working with talented craftsmen and trades who enjoy what they do and take pride in doing their job well.

But the best part is that you can laugh at the others that criticized you for what you were doing, 'cause of course they know more because they watch HGTV and all.

True story.

Apr 25, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
michaellovejoy

I've been doing ME work for about 12 years now.  There are times when it is boring, like every profession, but strangely I have also found almost every project brings something different and requires creativity.  A lot of it comes from the architects, but it also has a lot to do with what you make of it.  As long as you keep challenging yourself and others, things remain pretty creative.

As a side note, I'd stay away from the larger firms.  They tend toward specialization; a sure way of sapping all fun out of a profession.

Jan 8, 17 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: