Archinect
anchor

H1B or O1 visa

international_applicant

Dear archinecters, I am an architect starting his post-prof degree in the US, on September 2016. I will be on F-1 nonimmigrant visa. After my graduation on May 2017 I will hopefully extend my Visa for a year (OPT). Are there any architectural firms in the US known to support applications for H1B or O1 visa at the applicant expenses? I know for example that gensler has officially stated that they wont accept people with no work permit and wont deal with the procedure of issuing one. Thank you

Apr 20, 16 6:37 pm
JLC-1

it's complicated, but it helps if you stay in the country; I guess my suggestion would be to get in the door as an intern and process the H1B while working (I don't think you can apply for it without a sponsor), I worked with J1 and H1B and then the company sponsored me for Green Card, but it was all while employed with them, not before.

Apr 20, 16 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

JLC-1 thank you for your answer. I will have a year after my graduation from a US institution to find a job as an intern. I have heard though that there are several companies that do not sponsor visas. So you may be unlucky, work for a year and then get deported. Anyone been in my place?

Apr 20, 16 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I haven't, but seen quite a few go through it - some firms will sponsor, but it's not just the application fee and attorney costs, it's also about the amount of time the staff at the firm has to spend helping you apply for it (in most cases its wise to show your dedication when working - don't be late and don't slack off).  It has gotten much harder now that the tech sector eats up a lot of the visas, but still possible.  O1 is much harder to fight for and more expensive, but they do seem to go through pretty easily if you're at a well published firm.

good luck.

Apr 21, 16 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@3tk thank you very much for your answer! Do you have any idea what someone needs to have to get an O1 visa? I mean what kind of qualifications. Published works?, international prizes?? Furthermore, do you have any firm in your mind that would help you do so?

Apr 21, 16 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: