Archinect
anchor

Turning point in a professional career!

yEAh

How you Architects/designers choose jobs when the choices are too different and can greatly impact your career? THIS IS MY CURRENT DILEMMA!

I'm currently in the midst of negotiations between my employer and a start-up design firm which has different goals and visions and different market too.

I'm currently the Senior Architect in a very small firm in Dubai. I built the design department, a couple of years ago from scratch. I was hired to do that. I don't have any Architect above me, my boss has a design background (graphic) who does branding. It started slow, and we had small projects but we grew slowly and started doing projects with more exposure and of high quality/budget. We were doing mostly commercial, F&B interiors. It wasn't a smooth ride. I was tricked several times in terms of compensation and basically exploited for my design abilities. I stuck through it even though I had decided previously that I'll just finish 2 years here and move to a bigger company. I felt horrible sometimes with the workload-pay ratio. I was like payed peanuts with the amount of money my department has been feeding the company. Now, we're moving to a Design district where it's a very creative environment for artists, designers and related professionals. I could say it's the new "it"  place for a designer in city to work in. It's where RMJM, LV, Burberry, Galleries have offices now.

Timing couldn't be better as it's not the best time to move jobs as most Archi firms (what I  was aiming for) are not hiring. One of our clients before wanted to start his own design company with a partner who is basically a fresh graduate from a famous design school in London. I met them and I liked the idea about being a "design studio" driven by design methods and is versatile enough not to be defined in a box of discipline. Meaning, we will be designing interior/architecture and non-related stuff like events, installations, packaging, ads, etc. I'm into it because I now feel like I want to explore my design sensibilities more by doing other stuff (art, installations, furniture, weddings, events, etc.) that can make me a better designer.  I liked the idea but I'm worried about the job being too diverse and far from Architecture. Also, the studio will be based in another city not of Dubai level although it's close enough that I could still live in Dubai.

This might be the biggest or hardest decision I'll ever make as I feel like this will open and close doors that I may not be able to return to anymore.

It's regular firm vs a design studio. It's like I'll be leaving a structure I have worked on for 2 years and starting from scratch again. I believe this new studio might expose me more into other stuff that might be healthy for my creativity. Although the office location is nothing to be proud off (near the desert, not in the heart of the city) It's like a downgrade but the catch is, I'll be treated as a partner, I'll have a percentage of all project profits! Whereas my office now, I never got a bonus in 2 years! (We had lots of projects) Now thinking bout it, I felt used and exploited. I hated my boss (I still hate him) He lied to and deceived people. In comparison to this new studio whereas the they are more relaxed in terms of money and as a I have heard, gives a lot of incentives to people. This new studio is more relaxed (as they project it) and design driven. My only problem is the office location. Although they are aiming for the Design district too (which can happen but a 3-5 years time maybe)

At some point, I want to go back to designing buildings, not only Interiors. As much as I like it, I missed designing structures and big buildings and being technical. I realized I'm so into the arts that I am more inclined to it.

Any thoughts on this matter pls? Anything would help : )

Apr 18, 16 3:40 pm
Wood Guy

You should stay where you are, it sounds like a good gig, despite an a-hole for a boss.

What's your immediate, gut reaction to my first sentence?

What are your ultimate career goals? Without knowing where you want to go, it's hard to know which road to take. 

Apr 18, 16 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Must be nice to have a penis in Dubai: all the doors open up to you.

Stick with what you have until you can move out of that backwards sandbox.

Apr 18, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Tell your boss exactly what you wrote on your post, including how much of an ass he is, then tell him "give me a god damn raise or I will hand in my 2 weeks notice. then say you have 24 hours to decide. good day."

I hate working for a boss who has no principles. One of my old boss was like that. left the place without looking back. have not regret it. 

as Steve Job once said. "don't settle."

start sending out resumes to other firms like mad. goodluck.

Apr 18, 16 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
yEAh

So then, I told my boss I'm considering other offers as well and he offered me almost double my salary and percentage. Equivalent to a partnership, and I'll be responsible in molding the studio the way we both want it. He's focusing on the offshoot company he opened up a year ago, but will still be involved somehow in the Design of course. It's all verbal as of now but I guess I better stay in the company. The emotional and intellectual investment I have made is no big deal anyway. I'll try to branch out and do other projects that I really want since I was given the freedom to chase these if it's reasonable and will give credibility to the studio. 

Although I am enticed by the new work that I will be involved in the other company, I think I can make this happen with my current company now. It's just too risky jumping over the fence to a non-existent studio as of the moment.

Apr 20, 16 7:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: