Archinect
anchor

Failed Thesis Class?

no_form
Balkins for the win! No contest!

Your rhetoric is more graceful and persuasive than any Roman orator or Greek philosopher.

Student enrollment is up at CCC with Ricky b at the helm. Archinect 0 balkitect 1!
Apr 17, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

roman orators and greek philosophers couldn't type in english either....

Apr 17, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

this thread gave me cancer

Apr 17, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Oh Rick.

Art Fair Paris is a for-profit, non-juried street fair.  Galleries pay for an "invitation" to display their most palatable-to-tourists dreck (think big-eyed stylized Native American children, and misshapen clay vases on orange tables), and the tourists can feel good going home and saying they bought a painting "at" the Louvre without clarifying that "at" means "at a street fair in vague proximity to".  Plus the artist in question is more famous for starting forest fires than for his painting.

Aspire to higher role models.

Apr 17, 16 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Ricky b don't let these sophists dampen your incoragble spirit! The world isn't ready for your greatness. But worry not they'll all see some day!!!
Apr 17, 16 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Rick and that moron from Australia should move in together... In either mom's basement!

Apr 17, 16 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I'm sure they've been in their mom's basements. Heh heh
Apr 17, 16 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

poop is a piece of poop and never fails to be a poop. in fact, he is so poop, he named himself poop to remind himself that he is a poop at all times. he simply counts 8...7..6 and poops. his work has poop written all over it and has no form. his basement is full of poop. diarrhea all the way. crap.

Apr 17, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Rick can't visit that Australian dude, he turned him into to the Australian licensure board...Balkins in an international crime fighter...

Apr 17, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Where's that thread with my movie idea...?

Apr 17, 16 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

count 876 and poop?  that kind of regularity is something to be envied.... poop sound very healthy and happy to me.

Apr 17, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
That movie plot was gold.
Apr 17, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Oh Rick.

Art Fair Paris is a for-profit, non-juried street fair.  Galleries pay for an "invitation" to display their most palatable-to-tourists dreck (think big-eyed stylized Native American children, and misshapen clay vases on orange tables), and the tourists can feel good going home and saying they bought a painting "at" the Louvre without clarifying that "at" means "at a street fair in vague proximity to".  Plus the artist in question is more famous for starting forest fires than for his painting.

Aspire to higher role models.

Threesleeve,

At the louvre was literally there at it not just in some place in Paris. Anyway, regardless, the artist is internationally recognizes not jut for the Louvre. Royal Nebeker is/was/well still is one of the most notable contemporary artists. Royal Nebeker isn't just a street artist. Maybe do yourself a favor and know what you are talking about. Since you are talking about 'starting forest fires'. Sorry but just because google makes a few vague reference to something that happened a short time before he passed away. His fatigue that was the situation had more to do with cancer that he had at the time. The artist is more known in the art community than that. 

You're not an artist. You aspire to be one but produce crap and still paid less and get recognized less than an artist.

His style is an expressionistic and impressionistic and symbolist. It is hard to place Royal Nebeker to a precise art style. 

You might want know more about the artist and his work and career as an artist over his lifetime than a brief media news.

While that brief local media news in 2014 about a car accident that lead to a very small brush fire fades, the artist's recognition as an artist and his work will stand in recognition for a lot longer.

Apr 17, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

reads just like spam.

Apr 17, 16 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

Since you can't read, your opinion doesn't count.

Apr 17, 16 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

At the louvre was literally there at it not just in some place in Paris. - not English........and more incomprehensible dribble from you - His style is an expressionistic and impressionistic and symbolist........spam bot

Apr 17, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

What is the story the artist is telling in each of these paintings?

That's worthy of actual research and thinking. Cite your sources. Make your supporting argument. There isn't necessary an absolute right answer I can confer to you but there are some obvious wrong answers which should be avoided and you guys know what I mean.

Apr 17, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf, 

Royal Nebeker doesn't follow a particular 'style'. He draws principles from multiple 'styles'. He doesn't fit a text book artist of a particular 'style'. That's why it is hard to express in categorical terms what style of artist Royal Nebeker was.

Apr 17, 16 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

There isn't necessary an absolute right answer I can confer to you but there are some obvious wrong answers which should be avoided and you guys know what I mean.

Paranoia spam bot talk.

Title of this forum thread is "Failed Thesis Class"

does not compute spam bot.

Apr 17, 16 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

RickB-OR - we are not having a conversation - you do realize that right?

Apr 17, 16 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

Spam bots have links to some spam site in their messages.

Apr 17, 16 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

You're writing, so yes. Albeit its kind of crappy because you are stuck in a fuck head attitude trying to get rid of me. Don't you know you can't prevent me from accessing this site. I know how to circumvent them.

Go answer the question with regards to the paintings examples above.

Apr 17, 16 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

That's interesting Rick - I wasn't talking about the incident shortly before he passed away - I didn't even know about that one.  I didn't google him - I was talking about the ones in the 80s.  Perhaps that recent one was attributable to fatigue - but how many people start multiple forest fires in their lives? 

I imagine it's debatable whether anyone is an artist.  I don't claim to be one, though my work (yes my work for which I am wholly and personally responsible) is in the permanent collections of a handful of museums and published in a handful of books.  

Apr 17, 16 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Don't you know you can't prevent me from accessing this site. I know how to circumvent them. - Richard Balkins.

Apr 17, 16 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The only good thing from Astoria is The Goonies. 

Apr 17, 16 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

Threesleeve,

You say he started a fire in the 1980s. Where's your source on that one? Can you cite the source on that one?

I don't know anything about the forest fire in the 1980s. I do respect the artist's work as an artist and teacher. Does this mean I want to be him? No.

I can't even find vague reference to him in any association with any brush fires, forest fires, etc. As for how often a small brush fire maybe started isn't necessarily going to be that uncommon in an areas that is quite a bit wooded area. You do realize that the wooded areas aren't that uncommon even in Astoria or neighboring communities.

Can you cite your sources at the very least.

I'm willing to read these sources, I'm willing to look at it. Show me your source. (I am not interested in a source behind some f---ing subscription pay wall. I respect the artist as an artist and as a professor. It doesn't mean I want to be him. Everyone lives their own lives. I won't stand for baseless accusation unless there is validity to it and cited. I'm not claiming the guy was perfect. 

Apr 17, 16 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

What's an artist?

What does a dictionary define as an artist?

https://www.google.com/#q=artist+definition

"a person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby."

or

Dictionary.com:

noun

1. a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.

2. a person who practices one of the fine arts, especially a painter orsculptor.

3. a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design,drawing, painting, etc.

or

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/artist

such as: A person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby.

There are many interpretation and viewpoints on what is or who is an artist from little known to very well respected/regarded. By the quoted definitions, we (you..me... and everyone here can fit that definition). Whether we are practicing fine art or applied art is up to each of us.

I imagine it's debatable whether anyone is an artist.  I don't claim to be one, though my work (yes my work for which I am wholly and personally responsible) is in the permanent collections of a handful of museums and published in a handful of books.  

You and me are probably alike to some degree. We both don't really use the term 'artist' to define what we do. I will nonetheless congratulate you for having some of your work in permanent collections in a handful of museums and published in a handful of books. Royal has to. I never really pursued the gallery scene and museums. It's not that I couldn't ever but I'm not into doing that so much. 

You should recognize that it is reasonable for me to expect some backing of claims that you made. 

Apr 17, 16 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Move over Sister Wendy! Rick the Renaissance man Balkins is in town! Balkins baby don't let the world tell you what's art and what isn't. You are the splash of color this gray forum longs for.
Apr 17, 16 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

I just want Threesleeve to understand the implication made of starting forest fires and how serious that one is. It's one of those things that needs to be backed with credible source that can be looked at. He should understand the geography of the area, too!

Apr 18, 16 12:01 am  · 
 · 
What Rick is trying to say is that his forum posting is performance art. Art isn't necessarily the object itself, but the feeling it inspires within you, so on that note Rick's done a hell of a job.
Apr 18, 16 12:14 am  · 
 · 

Josh,

Insightful, indeed.

Apr 18, 16 12:16 am  · 
 · 

I wasn't talking about the incident shortly before he passed away - I didn't even know about that one.  I didn't google him - I was talking about the ones in the 80s. 

Threesleeves, 

What fires are you talking about? We have to be a bit more precise. 

Apr 18, 16 12:45 am  · 
 · 

Maybe Rick should move to another country where his art could be appreciated.

France perhaps, they think Jerry Lewis is a genius.

Apr 18, 16 12:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: