Archinect
anchor

Seeking Current/Recent Berkeley M. Arch Students

MartinMI5

I'm currently a senior in (a liberal arts) college and have been admitted to several M Arch 'first professional degree' programs.

I'm most heavily choosing between UVa and UC Berkeley, but Berkeley hasn't done much outreach, nor is their webiste very informative.

I was wondering if there might be current or recent students at Berkeley (maybe specifically Path 3 but not necessary) who could describe their experience and the positives and negatives of Berkeley.

Specifically, I'm interested in a program that stresses a socially aware/oriented approach to architecture. One that addresses issues of social justice and inequality in built/urban environments, and seees architecture as a method of change, but also remaining critical of the role/impact/limitations of architecture. I can see that there are definitely faculty at Berkely with these research interests, but I'm interested in knowing if the studio courses actively address these aspects in projects/assignments, etc.

Additionally, I'm looking for a program that is interdisciplinary and includes wider issues of urban design, for instance. I've heard that there isn't much room for architecture students, say, to take landscape or planning courses, and I was wondering if within the architecture curriculum there is an emphasis on architecture and urbanism, beyond designing, say, a building and looking at the two next to it as 'context'.

Finally, I'd like to know what students feel is the general 'vibe' of the school. As in, maybe it's more technical/practical focused, or theoretical, or digital/formal, etc. And I'd love to hear about what you think is different at Berkeley (good and bad!) in general.

I'm currently leaning toward UVa but I really want to learn more about Berkeley before I make a decision.

Thank you!!

Apr 10, 16 6:43 pm
bad_hombre

Hey, I'm a current admit just like you, so I'll chime in.

I went to the open house last week and the feeling I got was that the program is really open. In other words you can really focus on what you want within the program. There is definitely an emphasis on social awareness, urbanism, regionalism and similar issues, but overall the program looks well-rounded. I've heard a lot of people bemoan it for being too focused on social issues or sustainability to the detriment of other topics but I found this to be totally false.

From what I saw at the open house, the topics you mention are definitely addressed in the studios. The student work tackles large-scale urban design as well as building scale issues relating to urbanism.

I have a book of student work from the open house that I wish I could show you. I did find this one from 2014 online:

http://ced.berkeley.edu/downloads/thesis/arch/Berkeley_Architecture_M.Arch_Student_Work_2014_Spreads.pdf

As far as taking landscape and planning courses go, I think the curriculum is fairly pre-scripted up until the 2nd and 3rd years where you get to choose electives (especially in 3rd year). I think this will be the case in 90% of M. Arch. programs. From what I got at the open house there are definitely no shortages of electives in either of those topics, although they did mention that the course offerings change by semester.

And to address your last question, the vibe I got was very theoretical. There seems to be an emphasis on research (which I liked). It seems like they fund a lot of research trips, which is also nice. You can customize your approach once you're in, but it does seem like they make you do your homework for your design projects. They definitely do not seem to place emphasis on digital/formal techniques the way SCI-Arc or say UPenn would, but I don't think that means you'll hall behind in any way. It does seem like they give you a strong technical foundation too.

One thing you didn't ask about but I'd like to mention is the facilities. The building is amazing (for my money), and the grad studios are all on the top floors meaning you'll have incredible views of the bay area your whole three years. Everyone also seems very supportive and generally chill. Also there are a LOT of undergrads so there's a lot of opportunities to TA, which waives your tuition.

The woodshop/fabrication lab are also top-notch, and they have seminars on woodworking etc. When we visited there were some really cool projects from the seminars lying around.

Really to sum it up it seems like a strong program. To be frank I liked it and since they're giving me money I'm totally gonna go. I guess the only drawback is the COL in the bay area which is stupidly high. Other than that you should really consider it! I'm mega procrastinating on some other shit I need to do right now so I'm gonna stop but If you have any questions hit me up!

Apr 11, 16 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
MartinMI5

Thanks for the thoughts!

That definitely echoes what I've heard from other people. Maybe I will see you there!!

Apr 14, 16 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

what are your long term goals?  Im not sure that you will find fulfillment in the field after graduation

Apr 15, 16 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: