Archinect
anchor

Wash U at St. Louis Vs IIT Chicago

I got accepted in these universities for M.Arch 1 (non architecture background), 

weather, campus life, cost of living, work, opportunities, exposure....  please give in your thoughts! 

thank you!

Apr 7, 16 2:16 pm
lacalr

For someone who does not have an architecture background IIT may funnel your interest towards a structural/traditional approach to architecture. I'd be afraid that they wouldnt give you enough freedom to explore architecture and all of its niches. However that is just based off of when I visited and from what i've heard from people. I have also heard that there is a fairly big alumni base and it has been around for a while. 

I think WashU would give you a more multi faceted approach which may help someone who doesn't have a background in architecture, to find what it is they really want to do within the design profession.  

You also can't really beat Chicago as an architecture playground. It would be a great place to learn and study architecture, even though it would be more on the pricey side. 

Apr 7, 16 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
zg_a

IIT is a good school, but Wash U is better, and if you want to be a good designer, you should definitely go to Wash U over IIT.

Apr 7, 16 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

Go to Wash U (sam fox school) unless IIT gives you an insane deal.

Wash U is a better school not only in architecture but as a whole. I dont know a whole lot about it  

IIT is south side Chicago and the campus is pretty depressing. I personally dont like the work that is produced at IIT. It gets confused with ITT tech. I applied there last yr, my self and my peers at my university did not get any funding to attend the program so the 45k for tuition is outrageous on top of Chicago expenses. The school seems very run down. They open house was in the basement and they gave out juice, there is nothing wrong with this but its a reflection on how much money the program has to spend on its students. (go to Taubman College Open house and you will see the insane difference). 

Apr 8, 16 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: