Archinect
anchor

5yrs Cooper Union or 3yrs Sci Arc

jvvier

Hello! I've been a long time lurker around the Archinect forums, but recently I've found myself needing advice as well.

I'm currently a student at a local CC in Los Angeles, in a 2 year architecture program that has been known for high rates of 3rd Year transfers towards Californian Universities; mainly Sci Arc, San Luis Obispo, and Pomona.

Yet I chose to apply to out of state schools for the heck of it (and well general interest in their programs), and as of last week have been accepted into Cooper Union. But as a first year transfer. 

I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with either Cooper Union or Sci Arc (which had always been my "Plan B" I suppose), and whether or not you think the education I would get at Cooper Union would outweigh the additional two years of education and cost.

P.S. Price wise, considering Cooper Union's half tuition scholarship, the five years at Cooper Union would even out with say three years at Sci Arc).

P.P.S. I'm still waiting on Cornell (which would beat out either schools at this point), but the deadline for the required deposit to save a place for Cooper is before Cornell even begins to send out acceptance letters, so I'm hesitant to wait it out. 

Thank you!

Apr 6, 16 5:14 pm
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Go to Cooper, get out of your comfort zone,

Apr 6, 16 5:47 pm  · 
1  · 
C. Watts

They may cost the same, but consider that you would have two years to work and make money with sci-arc due to an earlier graduation date.  So technically Cooper Union would be more expensive, in time.  Have you been able to visit?

Apr 6, 16 6:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Koww

go see the schools in person and check it out.

Apr 6, 16 8:51 pm  · 
1  · 
CLOCLO

Honestly both are respectable schools and you have to remember that a school will not make or break you, it's all about your own personal drive and willing to make the most of either education you pursue. I personally feel the college is less important and the connections you make and your own efforts define your success. Where do you envision your future? Often times students get jobs from the contacts they make in school. NY firms would know more about someone from a NY school versus a CA one. The two years of loss wages would be a significant factor to consider, regardless of tuition costs. Those lost wages could potentially be $100,000. Another thing to consider is if you want to become licensed. If you go to SCI you could be nearly licensed by the time you get out of Cooper. You have to decide if a name on a diploma is worth the sacrifices you would have to give for 2 years.

Apr 6, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
StevenZhang

Cannot belive someone has a same question with me! I am accepted by cooper union and placed to first year, also sci arc did not give any scholarship. So I am still do not know which I should go.

Apr 8, 16 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
jvvier

Thanks for the responses guys;

Honestly my biggest concern really is compromising the chance of going to Cooper Union because I feel as though it's such a rare opportunity to study there. The exclusivity of it makes it even more enticing too.  

But like CLOCLO and C. Watts mentioned, it is time lost when I could be working, and in my head I had always set the goal of getting licensed before I was 30. (I'm 21). Though I understand that sometimes compromises will have to be made.

I'm still waiting on the scholarships that Cooper Union offered, hopefully that would help with my decision if it's substantial enough.

Apr 8, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
parks4875

can you tell me which cc you studied?!?

Dec 23, 17 6:18 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Why in the world would you pay for a 4 year degree + 3 years at sci arc? I mean you would be paying for 7 years of school versus 5. 

Dec 25, 17 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Cooper grad chiming in. Typically, CU is very hard on transfer students and placing them as upperclassmen; first year transfers seem to be the norm.  From experience, a CU degree has opened a lot of doors in places outside of NY due to its prestige.  I do not know how Sci-Arc compares in that regard, or what your plans are after you graduate.

On the flip side, it is an additional two years of your life you will be spending in academia, but at least it will be at a reputable institution. 

Dec 25, 17 10:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: