Archinect
anchor

National / International Design firms and Architects of Record - Liability

zleitner

I have a question as it relates to typical practices of big name firms and their production and collaboration with local architects of records for various projects.

Is it typical for the big name design firms to take a project to DD level and then to oversee partnering architect firms completion of CDs?

In this case does all of the liability fall on the local architect signing and sealing the drawings? 

Or is it a sheet by sheet basis where an architect from the big design firm signs and seals in addition to the architect of record in the local jurisdiction?

Also, do big design firms typically produce construction documents projects outside of main office locations?  

I guess this could vary dramatically from firm to firm, but was curious as to what others have experience with.

Thanks

Apr 6, 16 12:00 pm
null pointer

I ask for hand-off at conceptual with one review at the DD-phase.

I've worked with a few of the big starchitect firms. Their senior staff are often just a bunch of pretty-boys who think 36 inch doors give you 36 inches of clear egress space.

Apr 6, 16 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

ha - just had a discussion about clear egress space yesterday, found years worth of excel files calculated incorrectly!

Apr 6, 16 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: