Archinect
anchor

UCLA vs UMich vs UT Austin

sims1216

Hi there,

I'm an international M.arch applicant, recently admitted to the school above.

Recently, I've been through hard times to choose which school to go, since those are all very different programs. My interest is more to practice architect, rather that pure academia. Here's my thought: (Some of them are just my assumption, since I'm an international.. advices would be much appreciated!)

UCLA (1 yr Suprastudio)

- Big city, big market, maybe one of the best place for job opportunities.

(I've worked in LA-based architecture firm's overseas branch office for 2 years, so I already have a little bit of network in LA. Hope this would help future job opportunities..)

- takes the shortest time, which means less burden on budget but high risk on qualification for job searching

- NAAB accredition X

U of Michigan (2 yrs M.arch)

- As far as I know, It can provide me with a quite good network around the world as well as in the states.

- It seems provide quite good balance between research-based architecture and practice-based architecture.

- Opportunities open to Chicago.

- NAAB accredited

- Requires ridiculous amount of budget without financial aid.

UT Austin (2 yrs M.arch ll w/ historic preservation focus)

- I've been interested in historic preservation studies, in terms of academic perspective. (which doesn't seem to be really beneficial when applying for a job of design firm.)

- Opportunies open to Dallas-Houston area.

- Requires the least budget.

- NAAB accredition X

I know these are all very different program so the most important factor for making decision is up to my interest. But I just wanna ask you guys to give me advice and insight from different perspective.

Thank you in advance!

Apr 6, 16 9:36 am

1 Featured Comment

All 9 Comments

doni111

Hi there @sims1216!

First off, congratulations on all your acceptances! I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I'm having a hard time making a decision between UCLA's SupraStudio and UMich's M.Arch II. May I ask if you have made a decision? All your points on UMich's program seem true and I can validate your assumptions with my superior who is a direct product of the program as an example. His success and thought process / design method both provide me enough reason to pursue the M.Arch II program at Michigan. Although the cost of attendance in UMich nearly doubles that of UCLA's, I'm caught in between a rock and a hard place since I can not have a purely theoretical program which will be difficult for me to apply in my country. Have you spoke to anyone or have come across anyone that is a direct product of the SupraStudio program? Im curious to see if there are any alumni out there who can give us insight into the program's effectiveness and application of the studio's experience in the work place. Thank you in advance! 

Doni

Apr 10, 16 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
sims1216

@doni111

Hi @doni111,

thank you for your comments! I'm really glad to hear from someone who can understand my headache haha. I haven't decided yet and it makes me really nervous since the decision deadline is coming! those are totally different programs and each one's pros & cons seems quite obvious. Can I ask you about which Suprastudio you're in? (I'm accepted to Hodgett's studio.) It's really hard to find someone who directly experienced the Suprastudio program and who can tell pros & cons of this program. I have no doubt on the quality and prestiges of UCLA's graduate program. And I also admire the city itself in terms of the range of opportunities. However, my gut feeling is heading to UMich since it seems less experimental and more rigorous program to me. (I'm far from parametric design. I just liked the topic of Hodgett's Suprastudio.)

Anyway, I'm happy to hear from you. We can keep talking on this til we make the final decision at the end of this week!

Cheers,

Sims

Apr 11, 16 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Nolvig138

My friend Craig Melde is a graduate of the Texas program and has a very successful firm based in Dallas called "ArchiTexas". Historical preservation is one of his major concerns.He "talks the talk, and walks the walk", when it comes to preservation, urban planning, and intelligent forward thinking, he's ahead of the curve. Austin is a great place to live. Vibrant music scene, super restaurants, excellent outdoor sports activity. Cost of living would be lower than CA or MI too.

Apr 11, 16 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
doni111

@sims1216

Yes, a headache indeed! haha. The thing is, my admission to UCLA came later than I expected and by that time it did, I had already paid my deposit to UMich! I'm actually just second guessing my decision to attend UMich. I was accepted into the Mayne Studio and though I am truly flattered to be part of it, I feel that his tutelage isn't a hundred percent compatible to how I want to practice architecture in the future. I admit though, being under a great architect like Thom would bring my design knowledge to a whole different level and that's why I'm second guessing my decision to attend UMich! (I'm hoping that former students of the UCLA SupraStudio program would chime in any time now cause I really need help in deciding! haha.) What I think attracts me towards UMich are both points you've just stated and the fact that we have more time to develop instead of compressing everything in a year. Plus, from what I heard, the program is broad enough that we could actually be very experimental if we choose to do so via electives courses and/or research topics! Anyway, I seem to be rambling on not knowing what the pros and cons of both schools are anymore due to the stress. Haha. For now, I think that i'll be committing to UMich unless something drastic happens. If you do decide to attend UMich let me know! Hopefully we can exchange a few emails prior to the start of classes and at least have someone to talk to on the first day! Good luck to you and your decision!

Doni

Apr 13, 16 5:20 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@doni111 you probably got my spot for the mayne studio! I told them last week that I decline their offer. Too urban design for my architectural interests. Although mayne is a huge name out there

Apr 13, 16 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
dmb2904

I don't know about the Michigan program, but I feel that the Suprastudio is amazing if you really like the topic of the studio you're admitted into. I also think that the whole industry collaboration and live projects module they follow is relevant to work after and it helps a great deal, especially if you feel like you're done with the theory bit in your undergraduation. The infrastructure of the Suprastudio seems to be stellar too and from what I've heard in the virtual open house, it's a good bet. I have to choose between Suprastudio and the M.S.AAD program. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Apr 14, 16 8:57 am  · 
 · 
tairyroll

I've got accepted to Suprastudio too, Although I don't know much about UMich and UTA, UCLA seems very good option I mean look at the professors they have. 

http://www.aud.ucla.edu/faculty/index.html

The cons of Suprastudio is that it's just one year program. Every year students interchange completely so that you may not have connections with people graduating ahead of you and it's kinda important for getting job information etc.

If I have options you have I would go UCLA for sure tho

Apr 19, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
dhwanigogri

Hello everyone

I am an international student as well and in the same dilemma as you guys between UCLA Suprastudio and U.Mich M Arch.

Furthermore, do you guys know if suprastudio is a STEM designated course?

Let me know which one do you'll pick. Thanks!

Dhwani.

Mar 22, 17 12:49 am  · 
 · 
Feras91

Hello Everyone,

I know this is an old post but I'm currently in the same situation between UCLA ( M.Arch II ) and U.Mich ( M.S ) both have amazing fabrication and technology based programs but I wanted to know what have you guys decided on and why ? 

Mar 26, 19 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: