Archinect
anchor

Just a quick survey for current architecture students and workers!

ReadySteadyGo

I would like to conduct a survey for any students studying architecture or are currently working in the creative builds industry. 

As students or workers in the field, what do you feel are unmet needs of this industry? To create an urban economy of the future, what do you feel are aspects of this industry that need to be solved?

Some aspects that may be common: 

- Not enough funding. 

- Needing more space/land. Having to accommodate for high population growth and globalisation.

- Not enough jobs in the marketplace. Over-saturation of graduates. 

- Too many laws and restrictions limiting creative freedom. 

- Not enough creativity. Having to meet the need of clients. Limited funding determining the final design. 

- Lack of efficiency. Unrealistic deadlines, constantly changing plans and schedules, lack of communication. 

I would highly appreciate a variety of different aspects. Thanks you!

Apr 6, 16 1:03 am
midlander

what is an "urban economy of the future" and why do you assume architects are struggling to do their part in developing it?

all the points you list are sometimes challenges for individual projects, but none of them are always problems. actually, from my narrow perspective i think i'm doing a realy commendable job putting my fingerprints all over the future, which all i was ever in this for. so... no problems! i'd still like more money and more leisure time though.

Apr 6, 16 11:39 am  · 
 · 
gdub

I think that:

-There's not enough focus on Cradle to Cradle design. 60% of landfills are filled with building materials. We have become a disposal society. 

-Passive/Solar Design techniques need to be taught in all architecture schools. Every architectural graduate should have a solid grasp of proper thermal performance/design when they graduate.

-Sustainable Design/Environmental Sustainability needs to be something that all college grads need to learn about, irrespective of their major and irrespective of what country they go to school in.

-The Building Envelope, Energy Studies/Energy Performance and Code Compliance should all be handled by architects and not pieced out.

-Sun shading devices shouldn't be architectural embellishments but rather should be designed using proper calculations, based off the actual physical location of the building/orientation on the site. 

-There needs to a larger focus on building performance in each respective building code and this needs to be part of building inspections. Why aren't we using Thermal Cameras to inspect buildings that are getting occupancy? This should become the standard and should be something that is mandated by each jurisdiction. I would love to see building inspectors who walk around with thermal cameras and fail buildings if they are leaking. We need to increase R-Value requirements for exterior walls, windows and roof systems. 

-Architectural grads should learn about: off-gassing from new materials that are combined together and tested separately, anti-flammatory sprays and how they affect humans once a fire happens, mould, asbestos and what happens to the building materials when buildings are torn down.

-Architects need to get involved in the community and need to start reaching out to smaller towns to talk to them about proper urbanism and how suburbia(car focused design) is not a way of the future. We need to spread our knowledge of what we learn from older larger cities and pass it off to smaller growing cities, so they don't make the same mistakes.

-An urban economy of the future will hopefully realize that we need to stop building on some of the most fertile rich land and instead use that for farming, so we can feed the populous now and into the future.

Apr 16, 16 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: