Archinect
anchor

Sci-Arc vs. UT Austin: Career Opportunities (Thanks! :) )

texas toast

Hello! I have been a long time reader of Archinect and finally need to post! I have combed though the Sci-Arc threads, but am still not quite sure what to do in this situation. 

I have been admitted to UT and Sci Arc (M. Arch 2 for both) . I definitely busted my butt though undergraduate and want to make sure I make the right decision for Graduate school. I have a love for non-traditional architecture and more for clean and innovative structures. Zaha happened to be one of my favorites so, like many of us, I was devastated by the loss. I don't want to go to a school where I won't feel challenged; I know Sci Arc is not ranked and UT is.  I have not yet been notified of any financial aid from either, but I'm looking at it as if I have not received aid from either.

My question is, do you think the price tag on (unranked) Sci-Arc will be balanced out with the career opportunities that will be available afterword? Is Sci Arc worth the sticker?  I am a Texas resident, but currently live in California, so either school would require some shifting around. I keep thinking that if I go to (ranked) UT, it will be more difficult to find a job outside the state at places such as SOM, Populous, BIG, or Studio Gang. Do firms such as these see both UT and Sci Arc (or more generally speaking, an avant garde and traditional school) graduates on the same rung? 

Thank y'all so much in advance! 

Apr 4, 16 5:57 pm
Janosh

Although SCI-Arc has a wider reputation for design, UT is very well regarded in California  and is certainly better than SCI-Arc at firms like SOM or Populous.  In both cases, your fate is what you are going to make of it, and the places where you spend your internship and the work you do yourself in studio will have more impact on what you end up doing than the name on your diploma.  

Apart from your work and connections (which will probably be the same in either place), the largest factor in what you do later in life  going to be how much debt you graduate with - whether it be buy a house, raise a family, or work for low wages for a well published design firm...

Apr 5, 16 10:44 am  · 
 · 
QROST

Join SCI-Arc community! It is a quite energetic group of people as far as I could see recently. I really attach importance to this. 

I am going to enroll in SCI-Arc MArch 1 program this year. Hope to see you in LA.

Apr 5, 16 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I personally know recent UT graduates who were able to get jobs at SOM and Studio Gang.   Its a very well regarded school in many places outside of Texas.

Apr 7, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
archeyarch

either way, there aint a pot a gold at the end of it

Apr 15, 16 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
texas toast

Wanted to say thanks for all of the help! I ended up getting just about a full ride to UT, so I'll be heading back south! Thanks again! 

Apr 21, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: