Archinect
anchor

Starting Salary NYC

Archi49

Is $70,000 an acceptable starting salary for a fresh graduate who had 4 years internship experience while in school and graduated top of the class? Should more be expected or does 70k sound fair?

Apr 2, 16 12:48 pm
Koww

can you give any more information? graduate degree? type of firm?

Apr 2, 16 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Archi49

Bachelor of Architecture. Small firm with around 10 employees, growing fast.

Apr 2, 16 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

sounds pretty good to me. have fun.

Apr 2, 16 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
You did well for yourself. I'm around that with 6 yrs total experience and a license in Chicago (although my cost of living is less than yours).

I know people in NYC making a lot less than that after working for a few years.
Apr 2, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

It's good, but clarify if you are getting paid overtime. Some firms pay time and a half for recent grads, and I have colleagues at SOM who have nearly hit six figures because of this (when you get promoted, no mo overtime though).

Mings, probably not the best idea to exclaim your salary on the internet with your full name.

Apr 2, 16 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
You're talking to someone who hates the secretive crap that comes with talking about salaries in architecture. If there are any repercussions so be it. The more we all know what the market is like, the more we are able to get paid fairly.
Apr 2, 16 7:19 pm  · 
2  · 

Down with the secretive crap!

May 28, 21 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

Actually on second thought, can someone edit my first post? While I'm not saying exactly what I make, it's close enough. Second post still holds though.

Also, why isn't there an edit button (unless I'm missing it?)

Apr 2, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Josh, you can edit within 5 minutes of posting. After that, you gotta ask. 

Apr 2, 16 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wish you were able to go back after that and edit, but oh well. It's not like I posted my W-2 or anything.
Apr 2, 16 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^ you're doing fine too, happiness counts. :)

Apr 2, 16 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
I grew up poor, anything after not living paycheck to paycheck and not having to worry about money is fine with me.

Working on the happiness part though. That's the part that really counts.
Apr 2, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

if anything, sometimes happiness comes with age. 

Apr 2, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
quasi-arch

Wow $70k! I was offered 30 right out of undergrad (a few years ahead of OP) at a firm... nope!

May 28, 21 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: