Archinect
anchor

Does anyone use Linux

I personally HATE Window 10 and 8 a lot.

I would rather use Linux(Ubuntu) over Window. Also Apple products are TOO expensive.

So my question is....

Can you run autocad, and other architecture related programs?

I becoming a freshmen(SCI-Arc) this year, so I don't know what programs are used.

Apr 1, 16 10:23 pm

Yes.

There is such a thing called WINE.

There are also a number of CAD tools you can use. Many of which are AutoCAD files compatible. Just look around. Get a version of the CAD programs for Linux or otherwise run it in Wine or similar Windows emulation. If you really really need to, you can probably run Windows on top of Linux in a VM environment. 

Short answer is the first word of this post.

Apr 2, 16 1:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

no would probably be a more correct answer.  i've never tried to run autocad in wine, but i'm pretty sure it would be buggy.

Apr 2, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Plan on using Linux based tools. Plan on struggling a lot with your technology while the other students just get their work done.

I don't like windows much either and don't like the costs. But I can imagine working without it either.
Apr 2, 16 10:46 am  · 
 · 

There are Autocad clones that would run on Linux just fine.

For example: Draftsight

Also, you can run some version of Autocad on WINE just fine. 

Apr 2, 16 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Rick, shut the fuck up. Do you even have CAD installed?

Apr 3, 16 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Linux sucks ass, for most of us. If you are a network engineer, go ahead.

Apr 3, 16 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

Yes null pointer.

For fuck sake, 90% of you aren't doing anything in CAD that you couldn't do on Autocad back in 1995. Autocad 2008 should work just fine on WINE 1.7.19.

There is also running WINDOWS on TOP of Linux. Just have a copy of Windows XP in a VM and you should be fine.

Then it is just a matter of moving your files across to a thumb drive. 

If WINE doesn't cut it, run a version of Windows on top. 

Apr 4, 16 1:13 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Just use windows or OSX... its better in the long run when you're working.

Apr 4, 16 6:23 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

archiwutm8's list could be narrowed to 'use windows 10.'  i would switch to linux if i thought it was viable.

Apr 4, 16 9:41 am  · 
 · 
gycho77

Thanks everyone

RickB-OR I am definitely going to look up the apps that you talked about .

Thank you so much. 

Apr 4, 16 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

While, running a Windows app on Linux is inherently a hit & miss. 

If you want to use the newest versions of some of these Windows apps designed for the newest version(s) of Windows (Windows 7 & later), consider dual boot or using two separate hard drives and simply switching hard drive to boot in the BIOS. This way, you essentially have two computers in one. (Linux computer and a Windows computer in one computer.)

I've seen some Macs configured this way. 

On the Linux hard drive, consider a small (50 GB to 100 GB FAT32 partition so you can transfer files to the Windows side with ease.)

Apr 4, 16 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

WHY WHY WHY WTF

Apr 4, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Windows XP? hahahahaha

Apr 4, 16 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@gycho77

With Linux, you need to know what you're doing, and pay really close attention to your synthax. Imagine MS-DOS. Don't even think about installing mainstream CAD apps; you'll run into issues, such as lack of availability for common drivers, way before attempting to do that. 

To be practical, you'll have to stick to the Windows / Autodesk ecosystem. There is no way around that, unfortunately. 

Having said that, Linux is an awesome OS in all other respects, in my opinion the best OS for PC's. You can surf the net virtually immune to common malware, and it's perfect for building a supercheap PC, running free, open-source apps. But no seamless, off-the-shelf Autodesk or similar CAD products, at least not yet.

Interesting fact: Linux is such an awesome OS that last year it was used by 486 of the world's top 500 supercomputers.

Apr 4, 16 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

sameolddoctor,

If you don't need to use the Windows side for internet and just need it for an offline-workstation and use the Linux side of things for internet and all... who cares.

Yes, I would recommend a higher version of OS but Autocad 2008 only needed Win XP SP2. It will run 80-90% of the CAD files and CAD blocks.

Autocad 2008 had all the functions an architect would need. You can do it even with Autocad R14.

What do you need it to do?

I would recommend a 250GB hard drive or partition *minimum* for Windows 7,8 or 10 for running newer versions of Autocad 2015 and later. Autocad 2014 is about the highest version of Autocad that runs on XP.

You don't need ethernet directly accessed in a VM environment running Windows XP so no worries about viruses so much. You wouldn't be using the IE browser. 

Apr 4, 16 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

For sure. In order to avoid using Windows, make sure you run Windows on Linux so you can work.

Apr 4, 16 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

balkans is shitposting again. 

you're an incoming student at sci arch.  congrats, that school can be very challenging.  why make it harder on yourself?  linux is a great OS but it does not run software like RHINO and GRASSHOPPER, both which you will be using extensively at sci arch.  

http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-on-linux/8820/4

Apr 4, 16 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"Autocad 2008 had all the functions an architect would need."

- because Ricardo Balkachino knows what architects need...

Apr 4, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I think WIndows 7 would be the way to go while in school for the next 2 years.  Its free of a lot of the "improvements" added to Windows 8 and 10, but it will still run the current major software suites.   If you look around a bit, you can still buy new computers with Windows 7 pre-installed.

The OP is smart to stay away from Macs. We've had major problems with hardware failures on our MacBook Pros that take Apple weeks to fix, and the Apple Store doesn't give you a loaner machine.

Apr 4, 16 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

AutoCAD 2008... hah... Last time I used CAD for a project, my thoughts were "oh it's only 500 square feet".

I spent all of CA bitching about having to coordinate elevation and plan drawings.

Never the fuck again.

Apr 4, 16 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Nullpointer,

I didn't have that problem in old paper and pencil/pen drafting. What's your problem. You can't do the shit yourself anymore? If one person can't do it by themselves anymore then you over complicated the design.

Professional architects before your ass was born didn't have these problems between coordinating plans and elevation nor did they whine about it. 

In autocad, you just move the FUCKING WINDOW or DOOR as it would be a CAD BLOCK. Couple trims and line adjustments. It also meant you were more decisive so you didn't do this 50 to 100+ times a week.

In paper & pencil, you thought shit out before you throw lines so you aren't throwing lines out to hang yourself with.

Apr 4, 16 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

This is why you live in a fucking basement.

Fixed fees.

Every minute you spend aligning a door in elevation that was adjusted in plan is a minute you just paid for.

Once again, this is why you'd be homeless without mommy and daddy.

Apr 4, 16 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"Professional architects before your ass was born didn't have these problems between coordinating plans and elevation nor did they whine about it. "

Yeah. Those were the days.

Please regale us with how much better SHIRTMAKING used to be back in the day, too.

Apr 4, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Frank Lloyd Wright could design Fallingwaters in 3 hours. What about you Pete? Can't get the pencil up. Architects in those days can single-handedly most buildings by themselves and prepare the construction documents. They didn't try to do crazy crap. They used conventional construction systems. They use structured architecture where there is structures such as structural grids and all. 

KISS

Apr 4, 16 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

yeah, well Vignola could issue an elevation and a section, and have a goddamn cathedral built.   

i bet 15th century balkans was also unemployed

Apr 4, 16 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

"They use structured architecture where there is structures such as structural grids and all."

Apr 5, 16 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What can you design in 3 hours, Richard? You can't even make a cogent point in that time frame. You use famous architects as weapons in word battles, yet have no abilities of your own. I've spent the last decade making a living in the profession under the direct supervision of one of the most talented architects alive. What the fuck have you done?

Apr 5, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Michael Adams

I think that Windows is better.

Apr 5, 16 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

I used, but it has features more for programmers or those who change all settings.

Jun 1, 16 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: