Archinect
anchor

RIP Zaha Hadid

Living in Gin

BBC is reporting that Zaha Hadid has died at the age of 65. Still a breaking story, so no word on cause of death yet.

Mar 31, 16 11:02 am
b3tadine[sutures]

FUCK.

Mar 31, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

was not expecting that. that sucks. my sentiments exactly beta

Mar 31, 16 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Gosh. Terrible.

Mar 31, 16 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oy!

Mar 31, 16 11:22 am  · 
 · 
likeit

So unbelievably sad...

Mar 31, 16 11:24 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Just saw it. Grrrr.
Mar 31, 16 11:29 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

We're fucked.

All of us.

Zaha is why I am an architect.

Mar 31, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Sad but do you think architects will stop shitting on her work now?

Mar 31, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

RIP - love her or hate her she was a true innovator

Mar 31, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

All those years of 401K and paying into social security and then you croak at 65. 

Zaha, at least you left a mark on this world unlike anyone else. 

Mar 31, 16 11:38 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Wtf.  Very unexpected.  Was she sick?

Mar 31, 16 11:39 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Now, we're left with <gulp> - Patrik? 

Mar 31, 16 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Kidd

Cause is being reported as a heart attack.

Her work, love it or hate it, will be missed. 

Mar 31, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Like her work or not, there will be none like her.  rip

rip Schumacher

Mar 31, 16 11:50 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

Patrik will be buried alive with the deceased, as per his contract.

Mar 31, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

In Shock

Mar 31, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

So young!  What a terrible shame. 

Mar 31, 16 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Jesus Christ can we hold off on the Schumacher comments for the moment?
Mar 31, 16 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Show some respect.
Mar 31, 16 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

losing zaha leaves a huge hole in architecture.  my thoughts go out the people she left behind in her offices.  patrik too.  she has an incredible legacy, and her memory and work will stay with us for a long time.

Mar 31, 16 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

huge loss to architecture and culture in general. 

Her impact will continue to be felt through her writing, buildings, and the many successful ZHA alumni that have gone on to open their own firms.

I wonder if they had a succession plan in place.

She was such a figurehead, and Schumacher isn't exactly a client-focused rainmaker. I imagine that they will finish current projects, maybe pick up some new projects from existing clients or via design competitions, but few new long-term clients until the firm just sort of dissolves. 

Mar 31, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

sad and unexpected indeed, hopefully her office can continue her work

Mar 31, 16 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

The lifestyle that she lead was possibly extremely stressful. Traveling all the time, working all the time, no sleep, no family to speak of. Its great that she will have an enduring legacy in the form of her built work after all these massive sacrifices.

Mar 31, 16 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
QROST
Only 65.... Too young for an architect, especially as brilliant as her. R.I.P.
Mar 31, 16 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

^^You made your point, as unnecessary as it was.

A Titan has fallen. As Donna has said , show some respect.

Mar 31, 16 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sameolddoctor I agree with you. It's sad that architecture creates that stressful lifestyle if you let it, especially the family part. I can't tell you how many ladies have been upset and ended things because I've been unable to dedicate more time to them, and have had to end some of the things I do outside the office because of workload.

That's for a different thread. While I wasn't a fan of Zaha's later work, I always admired her vision. This is a big loss.
Mar 31, 16 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I deeply wish Zaha posts a "Gotcha, its April's fool!" video tomorrow. She was almost single-handedly breaking down barriers for women architects all over the world and inspiring thousands all over. Still hard to sink in..

Mar 31, 16 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

While personally I am not a personal fan of Zaha Hadid's design approach and that of the various 'weird architecture' (as another archinector puts it), Zaha should be respected as an explorer of new architectural form. There should be a place in the architectural profession for this exploration. (Lets leave commentary and snipes out for at least a little bit of dignity and respect for Zaha who had whether you love her work or not had contributed to architecture.)

I clearly lean more on the side of pragmatic design solutions. Zaha was clearly on the opposite side of the spectrum as seen in some of her projects. However, there is importance in this profession for a place to explore and to explore new forms and new concepts. We can critique her work's practicality on another day. At least this day, we should honor her contribution in respect, dignity and remembrance.

Mar 31, 16 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
dia

This is sad news and a big loss.

Mar 31, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Dear God,

Please give us back Zaha and we will give BIG instead.

Respectfully,

Unamuno, Miguel De 

Mar 31, 16 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Unamuno, that's an absolute asshole thing to say.

Mar 31, 16 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Love her or hate her she was undeniably an important character in the history of architecture. Condolences to her family and friends.  

Mar 31, 16 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

She stood apart like Frank Lloyd Wright was during his days.

Mar 31, 16 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

I came here to share my feelings of sadness and loss over losing someone that was a titan and amazing figure in our profession.... i'm sad to see some of the comments here.  I think some of you fail to see how important she was and will be to the future of design...and how young she died.  It's a major loss for us all.. had she lived longer I'm sure she would have eclipsed what we know of as the legends or greatest of architects (Mies, Le Corbusier, Wright, etc)... as it is she can count them as her equals.

Mar 31, 16 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

And don't neglect your heart health people.  Seriously, eat right, get sleep, exercise...65 is way too young.  Very sad. 

Apr 1, 16 1:52 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy
Without zaha we wouldnt have as much work to critique and learn from. Thus despite many people against her works, we learned from them to create better architecture. She was important just like le cobusier and his planninf principals
Apr 1, 16 3:19 am  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

A sad moment for architecture, but she made her mark on the field forever. RIP, you didn't greet me back in London, but I get it. 

This is a beginning of the end for that generation of starchitects, who are well within their later years. It will be interesting to see which firms are able to function without their champions. 

Apr 1, 16 11:46 am  · 
 · 

I've been trying to think of precedents of a firm continuing after the death or retirement of its founding partner, especially one with a particularly strong design sensibility.

Moore Ruble Yudell is still doing good work without Charles Moore around. Roche and Dinkeloo formed a successful practice after Eero Saarinen died at a relatively young age.

A number of firms in Chicago can trace their pedigree back to Mies, but none of them have consistently maintained that level of design rigor, IMO.

Apr 1, 16 11:59 am  · 
 · 
baker1

RIP

Apr 1, 16 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
makingspace
Zaha's death is saddening. they couldn't even pronounce her name correctly on the news. Disrespectful imo considering who she was to one of the most well known professions in the world.

Will be curious what will happen to FOG and OMA when their time comes.
Apr 1, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes, David, I hope they have a succession plan in place to take the practice to much greater heights after Zaha's passing. However, like a lot of "starchitect" firms, this is probably not the case with them, sadly....

Apr 1, 16 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
frankvanderhoeven

The powerless starchitect: How Zaha Hadid became the first person working on the Al-Wakrah stadium that actually did die

https://medium.com/@Frankl1nx/the-powerless-starchitect-d92069648c94#.affyxt5ao

Jul 12, 16 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ highly unlikely but even if true, this does not excuse the terrible labour practices in that bullshit filled back-asswards fucktard of a country.

Jul 12, 16 8:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: