Archinect
anchor

It was windy in Toronto area

VonHaus

Couple weeks ago it was windy they said... homes got sacked.

When I was a child watching american movies and seeing people punch each other through walls, I used to chuckle and say "haha movie prop walls" later in life to discover that those were meant to resemble reality.

Then I drove by this (second picture), over a million and a half dollar plywood home and decided to never buy a pre-built home.  Hire architect and build from durable materials or go home.. wait 

Mar 29, 16 11:35 pm
Non Sequitur
What's wrong with plywood?
Mar 30, 16 6:55 am  · 
 · 

That plywood house (the one that's not tipped over) is soooooo snugged up in that sheathing, do you suppose it's a PassiveHaus or something? Or is it a California home being fireproofed by wrapping it all in plywood then spraying stucco over every surface? That doesn't look like typical US construction.

Mar 30, 16 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, it may not be typical US construction, but it is typical Canadian since the houses in the pictures are in the Toronto area and the plywood between the two houses is req for fire ratting.

Regardless, anchor bolts between the top of foundation and exterior wall stud sill plate is required by Ontario code to resist wind forces... sure looks like they were not provided as prescribed. Probably no diagonal brace through (or on top) of the stud framing either.

Mar 30, 16 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Then the ice storm last week, locusts next...

Mar 30, 16 9:18 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

sort of looks like the ground under the foundation dropped.  maybe a sinkhole or liquefaction or something like that?

Mar 30, 16 9:44 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Why are houses in America mostly made from Ply or other woods/timbers? Other than cost.

Mar 30, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 

archiwutm8 I have to quote Scarlett O'Hara:

Scarlett: And lumber, too. Frank Kennedy: Well that's only a sideline. Scarlett : A sideline, Frank? With all the good Georgia pine around Atlanta and all this building going on?

Mar 30, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Which totally doesn't answer your question but I guess since we're talking about houses being Gone with the Wind....

Mar 30, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

My mind pooped and didn't connect the abundance of material to design... ..NVM but still, wouldn't brick/concrete/ any other type of masonry be more suited? In the UK I don't think I've really seen many houses made from anything other than stone/brick.

Mar 30, 16 10:59 am  · 
 · 

There's a lot of red brick in Virginia, but that doesn't explain why you don't see as much in southern parts of the Piedmont and Coastal Plain regions. 

Perhaps it's a combination of climate, resources, time, and labor leading to vernacular construction methods?

Mar 30, 16 11:13 am  · 
 · 

(a "high" vernacular)

Mar 30, 16 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Archiwutm8, climate and seasonal changes are more extreme in the US than in the UK, which is hard on masonry; we've always had an abundance of timber, whereas yours has been nearly gone since the middle ages; it's faster to build with wood; until recently it's been easier to make the interiors of wood buildings more comfortable with less energy use, compared to masonry; the workforce has been more accustomed to wood framing; our population density is much less than yours which means less chance of fires spreading; the list goes on. Where there have been fires in cities, they have been rebuilt with masonry and/or steel construction, and of course there are very few commercial projects built with wood these days.

Properly detailed and executed there should be no reason for a wood building to fail before a masonry building.

Mar 30, 16 11:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think wood is lighter, easier to ship, faster to build, lower labor costs. . .  considerable cost savings, pretty much from the time they plant the tree to the time they have to dispose of it.

in a lot of cases along the east coast, predominant construction reflects the migrant populations that settled the area.  danish had brick, germans had stone and timber frames, english might have been more clad wood frame houses, etc.  so it may not be that brick was common in the area, but it was common where the settlers came from, and they wanted their new place to look like what they were familiar with.

a brick veneer isn't really brick construction, it's just made to look like brick construction. 

Mar 30, 16 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Wait... are people suggesting we go back and do true masonry houses in suburbia?

Timber is cheap, readily available, sustainable (hint, it grows on trees) and easy to work with. The problems in the OP's pictures would have been avoided if the builders had followed the national codes and CHMC guides.

Mar 30, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

"true" masonry construction would now be concrete block, which is still pretty common.

Mar 30, 16 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Personally, I'm ok with timber construction, it's the bad "marzipan" cladding that get to me. 

Mar 30, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

never seen a movie where a guy punches somebody through a wall - you would have to be a ninja to make it through finish, ply, insulation and drywall and still have enough power to hurt a man.

Mar 30, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9pqqtDvXI

There's a classic "crashing through a wall" scene with Van Damme in the original Universal Soldier, which I couldn't find easily. First saw it when I was 7, and it seemed totally insane because at the time I lived in a place where most walls were concrete. Then I moved to North America and experienced the stickbuilt houses, and that scene (and others like it) became at least plausible, though still unlikely IRL due to the studs behind the drywall. This sequel shows Dolph Lundgren throw JCVD through a CMU wall, shattering the limits of perception ever further.

Mar 30, 16 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

This essay had a huge impact on me in grad school. The very short version of the argument is that the stick-built 2x4 construction of most US houses is demonstrative of the democratic society in which we live, in that one or two members can fail but the house will remain standing; all together they are incredibly strong.

An American Culture of Construction, Perspecta Vol. 25, Tom F. Peters.

Mar 30, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's funny how walls are flimsy enough to fall through (with a bit of a push), but ductwork in movies is always strong enough to use as a catwalk.

Mar 30, 16 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Is this really news to anybody, that houses are sheathed in plywood (or OSB or GWB)? To be clear, the plywood is acting as sheathing, in that it's acting to resist shear. Nothing to do with fire rating. You could put the sheathing on the interior side of the studs, but on the exterior it makes for a convenient substrate for air/weather barriers, insulation, and cladding (similar to a load bearing masonry or concrete wall).

Mar 31, 16 9:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ plywood on the outside can act as FRR when there is an exposing face issue with the adjacent property line.

Mar 31, 16 9:47 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

^ Only as part of a rated assembly, really any sheathing can contribute as such (OSB, ext. GWB).

Mar 31, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
baker1

Plywood almost going by the wind, almost movie walls.

Apr 26, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

...a million and a half dollar plywood home...

Sounds like an oxymoron.

Apr 27, 16 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: