Archinect
anchor

this nitwit b.arch stuff

Flatfish

Also, for your calculations:  expenses related to job hunting are tax deductible (all costs to print a portfolio, travel for interviews, and such).  So are all the travel and moving costs for relocating for your first full time job.

Apr 3, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Richard maybe you should talk to a professional about your lack of self esteem, or join a group for job seekers or something, for some mutual encouragement.  You're so pessimistic, in your decisions to not do anything because you MIGHT not easily find a job, might only be able to find an unreasonably low salary, might not be offered a raise, might be expected to work too many hours, might not find an affordable apartment, might ask for a raise and be fired because of it, and on and on and on.  Some of those things happen to some people some of the time - and almost all of the time those people are able to cope, live through the setbacks, keep trying and get back on the career path.  The only absolute guarantee in any career is that you won't succeed if you don't do anything.

Apr 3, 16 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Rick. STOP smoking crack.  Please.  

Apr 3, 16 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

This is another thread that makes me wonder whether maybe the situation is that Richard has some diagnosed disability, and if that's allowing his parents to be claiming him as a dependent.  For one thing somebody with years of experience running businesses, as Richard claims, would have a far better grasp of tax matters.  Even if the businesses are very small and unprofitable he'd still be getting 1099d for any project over $400 and itemizing his deductions.  These days I wonder if the businesses are entirely figments of his imagination.

Apr 3, 16 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Dangermouse,

There is quite a high supply of prospective employees for every job position. 

In Oregon, so you know, is an employment at will state. Add to that, employers can fire a person or lay them off or otherwise terminate employment without specifying a reason. You have little to zero legal recourse to even have a legal case. 

Most of the state in the region are pretty much that way. How can you really have any hope to have any legal recourse for  wrongful termination when they simply don't provide any reason for terminating employment nor ever give any. Unless it is written or recorded in some fashion, there is no legal recourse.

At this point, I only skimmed through what you read so at this point, I will only say that a degree or so called "professional degrees" (if there really such a thing as they are just a degree and hardly any more professional than a 5 year Bachelors of Fine Arts)......  put it like this, a degree is not required for a position to be considered exempt from overtime. An occupation where formal post-secondary academic education, where the curriculum primary subject matter is of the occupation,  is customarily required for the occupation in which a person is employed. Even as a building designer, architecture and related education is customary. The education alone is not the only factor. So is the nature of the work involved in given job. Overtime exemption can apply even if I don't have a formal degree given that I have related college education and also being a building designer goes with the territory. A certification would further add to that. 

Apr 3, 16 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

Form 1099 (typically 1099-MISC) is for independent contractor relationship.

Employment is under 1040 or 1040EZ.  Also, if we are talking employment, you are talking different sets of rules. As an employee, you got to be careful about applying education as 'work related education'.

Apr 3, 16 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

none of that will prevent you from applying for, and getting gainful employment somewhere.  it may not be as an architect, it may not be the best job you can find, and it may not be the first job you apply to.  however, if you take it serious something will work out.  maybe look into construction.  work for a framer or a plumber.  get involved with the actual building instead of just drawing them.  if you have some credential that suggests you actually know something about building design, maybe you can get a job as an estimator or something like that.  lots of options available.  there is no reason for you to be scared of getting fired from a job you haven't even applied for.

Apr 3, 16 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

1. Raises in architecture. LOL. Ask for a raise, you get a pink slip by the end of the day. Good luck getting another job after being fired by one. 

2. What overtime pay? Working for an architect office is exempt from overtime. If you don't do what the employer wants even if they demand unpaid overtime, you'd get the pink slip.

Most firms give raises...

And a lot of firms pay OT, at least until you have a few years experience. I do think there is largely an expectation that people will work more than 40hrs a week after they are salaried, but despite what people say, 90% of them don't work even close to 60 hours a week.

Apr 3, 16 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram,

Your right, and if I got fired, I'm still a fucking building designer so what the fuck anyway. Of course, I should care to try not getting fired intentionally and do a good job where I can. 

One thing I probably wouldn't sign is any clause that bars me from practicing as a building designer or such. I can understand some level of not competing on the same projects and to some extent.... regarding moonlighting. In other words, if I was working for a firm that works in the same project types as I do, I should encourage the process of bringing any such project to the business and not take projects away from the firm for my own personal benefit. If the firm doesn't do SFRs and other such light commercial projects  then it shouldn't matter as long as I am not getting too exhausted with too much work that I can't perform effectively in that employment environment. I understand those concerns. 

I would not accept conditions that would tie my hands for years that I can't practice building design if I was laid off or otherwise terminated employment from such firms.

Apr 4, 16 12:10 am  · 
 · 

natematt,

Ok. I hope that if or when I apply to such jobs, such employers are decent. I can understand working occassionally over time.... kind of like in Software industry during 'crunch time'. It isn't something I would want being every week being significantly over 40 hours a week. It leaves very little room for things like professional development and life. 

Apr 4, 16 12:15 am  · 
 · 

none of that will prevent you from applying for, and getting gainful employment somewhere.  it may not be as an architect, it may not be the best job you can find, and it may not be the first job you apply to.  however, if you take it serious something will work out.  maybe look into construction.  work for a framer or a plumber.  get involved with the actual building instead of just drawing them.  if you have some credential that suggests you actually know something about building design, maybe you can get a job as an estimator or something like that.  lots of options available.  there is no reason for you to be scared of getting fired from a job you haven't even applied for.

I'll look to reaching out to NCBIA (local HBA within the Oregon HBA which is part of the NAHB). I'll look into possibly joining it at some point. 

Now regarding the credential part, the NCBDC does exactly that. It is the ONLY credential that would suggest that other than the Architect license. It goes hand in hand with portfolio of work. What I said earlier is that getting some more work that demonstrates comprehensive building design versus remodeling designs or additions and so forth which is MUCH harder to communicate knowing how to design. That goes with the territory. AIBD/NCBDC is recognized by NAHB and vice versa. There is no question there. Getting involved with the local HBA could help. There really isn't much AIA can do for me at this time aside from CE course or stuff like that. AIBD (vs. the NCBDC certification) would be let go for a little while until cash flow builds up. Supporting the associations that defends and helps protects your occupation is one of those things that I would overall support so they can continue to do so. 

Apr 4, 16 2:51 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Lmao...Another thread turned into a Rick thread again.

As to Rick, don't go off sprouting nonsense about jobs when you've clearly never had one or even a business.  Not everyone works more than 40 hours, I do 40 hours regularly and never much more, although I am a CAD monkey or BIMpanzee whatever you want to call it.

Apr 4, 16 4:17 am  · 
 · 

You are a Brit the last I recall. You aren't even under U.S. licensing or practice. How employers do things in the UK doesn't mean that will be the case in U.S. 

In the U.S. in Employment At Will, I can fire you for whatever damn reason I feel like and not tell you. All I have to do is say, "You're fired." You can't legally get a case past a hearing unless I give you any reason. There's this basic practice, if you fire someone, you don't talk, write or otherwise any person you fired. You don't respond to them. They don't exist to you and you don't answer their question nor any of your staff. 

By the time the fired employee can even file a case with a court to even get a preliminary hearing and proper legal notices sent in advance, the employer can come up with a reason that won't run afoul of any so called discrimination laws. 

Add to that, if an employer wants you to work 168 hours a week, you do it or they can fire you and will fire you. They can replace you because there is always another sucker for the job that they can grind up.

They can push you and push you until you fail and have zero accountability to you. They can replace you anytime they damn well feel like it.

It's those loop holes from accountability that employers had made sure was written in the Bills that were passed into law.

It's not about ethics, There is a difference between unlawful and unethical.

As for wrongful termination lawsuit, good luck with that. 

Apr 4, 16 6:34 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I am a Brit with relatives all over Canada and the US. None of them have ever been fired for no reason, you sprout nonsense about business and working whilst never ever having been employed. It doesn't matter where you are the shit you type up never really happen. Stop giving yourself excuses for not being employed or having a viable business, stop coming onto thread giving people advice and anecdotes that you've clearly never experiences or had.

Apr 4, 16 8:35 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

why would you be concerned about a wrongful termination lawsuit for a job you haven't even applied for yet?  if you manage to get a job, and then get fired, then you go find another job.  you don't sue them because things didn't go your way.

your employer's incentive to not fire you is not fear of vexatious litigation.  if anything, it's fear of unemployment claims.  which you could get if you manage to hold a job for a while and then get laid off.  also, it's usually a pain in the ass for the employer to run a revolving door, having to constantly retrain people to their office standards and everything else that goes along with bringing in a new person.

if the employer pushes you to work 168 hours a week or whatever, you can also quit.  also a strategy that is typically avoided by both employer and employee because it's a pain in the ass.  that's one of the benefits to the at-will employment you're concerned about.

Apr 4, 16 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Rick, yes I know form 1099 is for an independent contractor relationship.  That's my point:  you claim to have been working on your own for the past 10+ years.  You've specifically mentioned working as an independent consultant to at least three different architects. If you've been working on your own and making more than $400 per project then you must have been filing taxes - and if you've been filing taxes then you would have run across the existence of the student loan credit in your tax forms, or with your tax software, or your tax preparer would have asked you about whether you'd paid any student loan interest.  It doesn't matter whether or not you've actually had occasion to collect that credit - you'd be aware of it regardless.  What you've written in this thread suggests an absolute inexperience in filing taxes - which is why I sincerely doubt that you've ever had enough income to be taxed.  Understand?

As for "work related education"  - I don't see where anybody in this thread mentioned that.  It's completely irrelevant to anything discussed.  The student loan interest credit is for interest paid on student loans.  It's that simple.  It doesn't matter whether the student loans were for the study of hairdressing and now you're working as a farmer - you still get it if you paid any student loan interest and fall within the income limits.  It would help if you had any understanding whatsoever of actually filing taxes, before you try to educate others on what to "be careful of".

Regarding exempt salaried professionals:  5839 is correct that in practice, when there is an audit by the Department of Labor, a person without a professional degree usually isn't deemed to be an exempt professional unless they have several years of management experience.  It doesn't matter if there's a certification, several years of related college studies, or anything else.  The threshold used is 1 year to 18 months of full time employment for those with a professional degree, and 8 to 10 years or a management role for those without.  I'm writing from experience on this.

Apr 4, 16 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

balkans shit posting again.  at will employment only exists in some states, and obviously doesn't apply to employees who have signed an employment contract.   even if you are at will, most states recognize implied in law contracts where a contract is implied to exist through regular employment, even if no physical contract was created or signed.

Apr 4, 16 10:40 am  · 
 · 
BIMpanzee? That's amazing. Well done.

I ignored the rest of the comments.
Apr 4, 16 10:45 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Why?

I keep opening these bat crap crazy threads and I don't know why.

Apr 4, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Let's not waste any more time giving Balkans advice!  My grandmother used to say in Italian..."Its like talking to a dead sheep."

Apr 4, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I watched this TED talk a few days ago and it hit home. I'm not giving advice to Balkins but anyone who struggles with procrastination should watch it all the way through.

https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_urban_inside_the_mind_of_a_master_procrastinator?language=en

Apr 4, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Add to that, if an employer wants you to work 168 hours a week, you do it or they can fire you and will fire you. They can replace you because there is always another sucker for the job that they can grind up.

Dude... relax. Like 1/50 firms has a work yourself to death mentality... and most of the time they just fire people who then go somewhere better. It's not really an job hellscape out here.

Apr 4, 16 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

This thread

Apr 5, 16 12:13 am  · 
 · 

natematt,

Dude... relax. Like 1/50 firms has a work yourself to death mentality... and most of the time they just fire people who then go somewhere better. It's not really an job hellscape out here.

You're right. If an employer was that bad, being fired would be a blessing.

Apr 5, 16 1:12 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

No, unless you were spineless you would quit and find another job.

Apr 5, 16 2:03 am  · 
 · 

True.  How one might feel and go about it.

Of course it would be a different finger that I would be displaying to the boss just after giving the "Resignation effective immediate" notice. 

It isn't my belief to quit jobs on a whim. It is an ethical principle to not quit a job until after at least 6 months. There is that principle to not apply to a job unless you intend to provide at least 6 months of employment.

Of course, this might be on your mind -

Most days, you feel like this guy:

and you maybe praying this with all the strength of every fiber of body:

So you don't be this guy after punching the boss in the face.

then have to explain at the next job interview:

:-)

Apr 5, 16 2:27 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

What? You need to stop this Rick, do something else.

Apr 5, 16 3:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: