Archinect
anchor

Portfolio critic

Hello, I am currently a third year architecture student in the University of Toulouse, France. I am planning to have a gap year starting next summer and finding an internship abroad is all what matters for me right now. Can I please have your critics on my portfolio? it will help me a lot! Thanks in advance.

Here's the link: https://issuu.com/rimbenzaouia/docs/architecture_portfolio_-_rim_benzao

Mar 29, 16 11:59 am
Non Sequitur

Did you not post the same thing 5 days ago?

Renderings and sections details need lots of love. Too much grey, no enough contrasts. No punch, no spark, etc.

Lose the hand drawings near the end, they look like they were traced from photographs and show zero depth. I'd drop that software skills dot-chart thing. The employer will decide if you're a 9 out of 10 in CAD (Hint: no one is)

Mar 29, 16 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Yes I did and thanks for giving me your critics just now :) I'll take in consideration what you said even if I don't really agree with the "hand drawings with no depth" part. Have a good day.

Mar 29, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
seedsnstems

Typically you begin and end with your best projects, to first capture attention and then finish on a high note. I would get rid of the drawings at the end, because they don't show much, don't really fit the rest of the portfolio, and are far less interesting than your design projects. A lot of people can draw faces, horses, and existing buildings.

If you want to showcase your hand-drawing, which is a good idea, I would include process work, partis, and sketches of your projects throughout the portfolio. Then you can demonstrate your drawing skills while also showing how you use them to develop ideas.

Mar 30, 16 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

Text on page 14 should go together with page 16 I think. I have a feeling that you're first priority is to make everything work in perfect spreads, but no one's going to read that. I would get rid of page 17 to keep the pages to an even number.

If you want to include your concrete model project, I suggest you to make diagrams explaining the process of making the model or a detail section drawing, instead of including a close-up that shows (not saying that it doesn't have) no significant detail

Generally, I think you could be more generous with margins--the page seems too tight around the edges. You would be better off with either full-bleed images or more margin.

Photoshop the hand drawings and give it more contrast. Reduce them in size and put captions below them with title and year and don't let them float in space. 

Additionally, not trying to be harsh or anything, but just out of curiosity, what's up with the whole self-rating system about skillsets with whatever number of stars or circles these days? Personally it reminds me of video games and makes everything seem unprofessional. Does anyone agree with me? Graphics on a resume page is unnecessary, or that might just be me again.

Apr 5, 16 12:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: