Archinect
anchor

Can I call them "my artworks"?

yEAh

I have sketched several artworks as a "concept" for the art that will be commissioned to different artists for a concept restaurant in Dubai, which I have also designed. Apparently my boss/owner of the restaurant (graphic designer by profession) is not hiring artists anymore and we're just going to have my pieces made. Now, thoughts are going to my mind that he might claim every artwork as his own in front of other people. I've seen this happen before whereas I was not acknowledged to some people that I was the Architect/designer or even a collaborator. So, I'm very skeptical about this.

To be fair, he briefed me about the concept/story of the restaurant and we collaborated on what to put on it. I did all the sketches and actual "concept" of some of the artworks that are truly original. (Others are just plain objects) Just to put things into perspective, I'm the head Architect/ designer of the company but not a partner. So I think it's just my right to claim these artworks and put my name on it. I can even accept these as a "collaboration" with him. Even though this is part of my work for the company, I believe the artwork itself is a different story. 

I truly believe once built, it will be the talk of the town as this will be in Dubai. Even moreso, it's the first concept restaurant/lounge wherein the target market are mostly prominent and rich locals. I just fear the day that he will take all the credit for these things and I end up doing all the work as a mystery designer. I'm a no namer and not prominent so it makes no sense for him to drop my name as an "artist". I don't even call myself that as this will be the first big scale/art installation that I have ever done.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Mar 27, 16 1:50 pm
jcrarch

"The target market are mostly prominent and rich locals". It appears your boss wants to be one of them also. In my language we say " sleep with the dogs and get fleas". You'll get no sympathy from me.

Mar 27, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
It's Dubai, everything is back-fuck-wards so who cares. Where you paid for the work? Claim the design as your own for portfolio purposes and point to it to impress the laddie and/or the slaves.
Mar 27, 16 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you claimed authorship and you boss also claimed authorship, what would happen?  would that create some sort of conflict that would not work out in your favor, or would it be understood that this was a collaborative effort within your office?

Mar 27, 16 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
xx__

Thing is possibly even won't be build and you already dreaming about how famous you'll become because of this sketches (probably just colorful lines or paint spalshes)? Talking about egos, huh...

Mar 28, 16 12:22 am  · 
 · 
yEAh

@xx__ 

Sorry to burst your bubble but we are already building it. I'm actually about to meet with the guy who will manufacture/fabricate these items. These are not simple "paintings" but 3d installation that will be in resin or some sort of cast and mold material. (We're still working on it)

Mar 28, 16 1:01 am  · 
 · 
A.I.

"Even though this is part of my work for the company, I believe the artwork itself is a different story."

Artwork or not, it was still produced under circumstances of employment...

When you are employed by someone and you produce work under their employment (art or not), it's very difficult to maintain exclusivity to your production, unless you have some strange language in the contract that somehow grants you special status.

Just put it on your portfolio like you would for anything else at any other company.  I think you're overthinking this and making yourself paranoid.

Mar 28, 16 1:25 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

In Dubai huh...are you using slaves to build it?  

Mar 28, 16 2:03 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

shoulda used a contract.

Mar 28, 16 8:34 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

jla, i think yEAh doesn't yet realize it was designed by slaves

Mar 28, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

^lol

Mar 28, 16 9:30 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"resin or some sort of cast and mold material"

Sounds like you didn't really design anything if this is where you're at now...

Mar 28, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

^good point.  If you are not certain on the material how far into the "design" could you have gone?  Artists know the material they are working with early into the process.  You did a sketch and had some Slaves build it out of whatever and now you want your name written on the fucking wall.   

Mar 28, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
yEAh

Wow so much negativity here! 

I have the material concept but of course I did not specify the exact material because it's meant to be like that. It would be limiting to the supposed artists if I specify everything there. Besides, aren't artists allowed to have collaborators in terms of building it? Do we define artists as the one who builds it by hand? Tell me if there's no production part of this artworks...

Yes we it would be built by labors, or so called slaves if you prefer that term. We are all slaves aren't we?

Apr 6, 16 2:30 am  · 
 · 

First off, 

SOME of people are going about this assuming work for hire copyrights of U.S. 

This is Dubai. Therefore not the U.S.

From a legal point of view, if the OP wants to know his legal rights, consult a lawyer in his area that is familiar with the applicable copyrights laws there.

We can talk about how it is here in the U.S. but that's irrelevant. Unless we consult the applicable laws and point to it, it won't matter.

I still stand on my suggestion to consult legal council familiar with the APPLICABLE laws and rules for legal matters.

Don't talk to a forum like this. I see a potential legal issue from what it sounds from a cursory skim through the thread.

Apr 6, 16 4:10 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick you are not in the position to give legal advice on anything anywhere...... yEAh sounds like larger scale artwork which often involves others building it, so the creation is still yours assuming you are figuring the whole thing out etc... now if you are hired to come up with the concept by your boss who put the infrastructure in place, he essentially can claim credit for everything. you can claim credit but would have to clarify your role - which sounds like "developed concepts"................with regard to slaves i believe they are talking about the non-citizen labor class in Dubai and other wealthy middle east states.

Apr 6, 16 6:50 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Good grief! If it is a success YOU give credit to your boss as well. There will be enough accolades to go around.

Apr 6, 16 7:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: