Archinect
anchor

Preparing for college

Hello

I am becoming an architecture student this fall

Can anyone please tell me what I need before I go to the school?

I live in Delaware. So i don't have to pay surtax. Therefore, I want to buy expensive equipments before I leave Delaware(My parent will be leaving Delaware too).

I heard that I need a gaming computer. Is this true?

I currently own Macbook Air 11inch(2012)- 1.7 GHz i5, DDR3 4GB ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB.

Should I just buy a desktop and keep using my current laptop? or should I just buy a high performance laptop?

and please tell me what I need.

Thank you

Mar 23, 16 8:15 pm
SneakyPete

I used a heavy ass gaming laptop. That thing ran so hot it would burn your legs if you tried to use it without a desk.

Mar 23, 16 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
gycho77

That's crazy.....

Maybe I should get a desktop and use my current laptop for presentation or something else

Mar 23, 16 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
redlined

I used a 2009 Macbook Pro with 4gb RAM - it wasn't fast but it got the job done. When I needed to work with really large files then I just used the desktop computers at the school. But my old laptop was able to hand 90% of my work. 

Mar 23, 16 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i vote for desktop, not apple, and if possible a tablet (android) to work with and supplement the desktop.

actually that new expensive microsoft surface looks really nice too.

Mar 23, 16 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
gycho77

Than if I get a good laptop cooler, it will handle autocad and other programs

Mar 23, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
gycho77

@curtkram

Why not apple? lol

Also my dad owns surface and I personally don't like how it works.

Mar 23, 16 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Why not apple? Because it overpriced eye-candy. But aside from that, why bother buying new gear when you have no idea what you'll need? Chances are that by the time you actually start modeling whatever you bought today will already be outdated.

Invest in real quality sketching tools.
Mar 24, 16 6:54 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Buy a gaming desktop.

Keep a laptop for studio work.

Setup remote access to set-up rendering jobs.

The end.

Mar 24, 16 9:20 am  · 
 · 
poop876

11"? Why not just use your cell phone then!

Mar 24, 16 10:30 am  · 
 · 
lourou

I've got an awesome 32" iMac 4k at home, and I use a shitty Toshiba laptop for smaller work. Whatever you decide on, laptop or desktop, make sure it has great performance specs but don't underestimate the importance of a LARGE SCREEN. You'll be multi-tasking and switching between programs like crazy. So your RAM is important...

It's also ideal to have a good (hi-res) display. Helps with your attention to detail on designs and presentations. You'll notice things you may have missed on a low-res or small screen.

Best of luck!

Mar 24, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 
AstridCam

I used a regular laptop until my last couple of years into Architecture School. We mostly made hand made models and it didn't get too CAD or 3D intensive until the second half of my career. If you wait until when you actually need it, you might get the newest version of whatever is out and know better what specs you are looking for in a laptop or desktop.

That being said, if you want to buy a computer right now anyway, think about this: if you are going to be working in one set place for most of your school years (ex: your house) 80% of the time, then a desktop will be the best option. I once heard that there is currently no laptop as powerful as they are that can compete with a desktop. However if you are going to constantly be working in different places (the school, the studio, a friend's house, etc) then get a good gaming laptop, I have a Lenovo which works wonders, I also know Dell and Asus are really good. Don't buy HP. I was living so far away from my school when I was in undergrad that I basically spent 90% of my time in the school and only went back home to sleep and shower. Therefore I always needed a laptop, because I was working in all different places, like the library, the studio, any classroom that was available, or any friend's house that lived nearby. 

Also, nothing against apple but it's too expensive and you could get a waaaaay better deal with other brands just as good. 

Mar 24, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Stephanie

Buy a computer you like. Almost anything these days, mac or PC, can run whatever you throw at it with no problems. 

But FYI a gaming laptop is a total dealbreaker for ladies. Show up to class with one of those and watch the libidos of women everywhere wither up and die. 

Mar 24, 16 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm not a student but I love my new ipad pro with pencil. Does anyone else have one?

Mar 24, 16 11:29 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you should be able to find a good gaming laptop without all the glowy colorful stuff on it if you try.  if not, just put a nice liberal bumper sticker over the logo (keep the fans open though).

Mar 24, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
gycho77

Thank you everyone who commented on this thread

I think I could make a smart decision because of your opinions

Mar 24, 16 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

You could always use your Mac to handle adobe suite programs, since having a portable setup is nice sometimes to take to class, show profs work, and/or work in a library or cafe. And then a desktop for the hardcore 3D modeling programs, although the school you go to may already have good comps set up with all the programs you need. 

What school will you be attending? if its a tech centered program maybe getting a good laptop to start is a good idea. But if they focus more so on hand models and drawings for the first couple years I would maybe hold off on buying a setup that is fancy and new. 

I always was glad I had a laptop so I could work during studio time and show my prof what I was currently doing, without having to use the few shared comps in the room. 

Mar 25, 16 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
gycho77

I'm planning to go to sci-arc

I just got accepted to sci-arc yesterday

Mar 25, 16 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
JJ9527

Congratz, i got accepted yesterday and going there too

Mar 26, 16 11:18 am  · 
 · 
gycho77

thank you! I hope I could see you at sic-arc 

Mar 26, 16 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Get a radio and or speakers, also recommend noise canceling wireless headphones.

Electric fan, and if in the north a space heater, desk size.  Studios are notoriously too hot or too cold temperature is rarely ideal all year round.

Good adjustable desk lamp

Also Mr Coffee  Get one this will save you money and time. add a bean grinder and you will save thousands of dollars over 4+ years. A small low voltage Mini fridge when you get to studio will make you very popular.

Do not work at home if you can avoid it use your studio space and time, I also recommend getting a lockable Ikea mobile storage locker and have wheels on it, lots of theft can happen in studios when you are in a lecture or in class other than studio.  Also what ever computer you get make sure you have insurance on it, renters or something you can bundle with your automotive insurance. I had a friend whose computer was smashed when he was transferring it from one studio to another but he had insurance and got a replacement in time for finals, the insurance included data recovery service, this is key.

Also invest in cloud storage because eventually your computer will burn out and you don't want to lose your files.

Good luck

Peter N

Mar 28, 16 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
gycho77

Thank you for your tips.

And this will be the setting for first 2 or 3 years.

http://imgur.com/Grlyn2z

http://imgur.com/SEHGvUE

Fans are below CPU and fan(Macbook).

Also I am planning to upgrade Ram.

Mar 29, 16 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
baker1

Every type of computer is good for a good student :).Good luck :).

Mar 29, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Gycho, I have the same cooling tray for my previous laptop. It did wonders for the heat control. Just make sure to clean out the dust that gets in the blades.
Mar 29, 16 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy
Buy a moderate computer (1000$) that can handle revit etc. I7 8gb ram, upgrade to 16gb. Do not spend it in more. Then also buy a desktop, this is where you transfer and back up your data EVERYDAY. TRUST ME, many people have had their laptops die from intensive, google drive sync both computers if you have to. This is how you get the maximum life of both machines. Desktop I recommend spending 2400$ screen you want something something 99.8/100% rgb or somethif I forgot. You want your screen to be pre calibrated and therefore your colours will match the poster you print. Id recommend spending 400-500$+ on your screen. Total amount will equal about 3800$, but its a worthy investment.
Apr 1, 16 3:29 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy
Moderate laptop ** first line
Apr 1, 16 3:30 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy
Ahh my sentences are messed up im tired. If you dont get what Im trying to say just ask me to elaborate tomorrow
Apr 1, 16 3:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I remember the early days where we would argue in studio over the better 2mm lead holder brand or pens on velum vs graphite on paper. I still hold on to the opinion that the quality of your tools matter for design but a good student can make great work even with a mediocre computer.

Kids these days.
Apr 1, 16 6:50 am  · 
 · 
gycho77

@MinimalCrazy If I purchase a desktop, I think I would use Ubuntu(Linux). Also $2400 screen? that's crazy haha

@Non_Sequitur haha that's really funny. and I will make sure that the cooler is clean. thanks

Apr 1, 16 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
ericksanch1

If you plan on going to SCI-Arc, you're going to need a high performance desktop (mostly for complex 3D digital forms and high quality renderings of those forms, maybe some light animation). Your best bet would probably be building your own desktop, you won't save much money by building it on your own but you'll definitely have higher quality parts compared to models sold in stores or online. My suggestion of specs:

- Intel i7 processor

- 16gb of RAM or more

- 500gb SSD (SSD will run your programs a lot faster and a lot smoother)

- GTX 750TI graphics card or higher (you want to stay away from depending on just integrated graphics, it'll slightly effect your processing speed).  

I'd suggest buying great parts or a great computer from the get go (which will probably cost an arm & a leg) but you wont have to worry about making upgrades later in your academic career or contemplate on buying another computer down the road because the one you originally bought isn't cutting it. So, keep your laptop for light work and invest a good quality workstation. There are plenty of sites that'll help you with your build if you decide to go that route (it's a lot easier than people think). Try https://pcpartpicker.com/ it'll tell you which parts are compatible with your build and tell you who's selling them at the best prices. 

Apr 2, 16 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
JJ9527

^ This is just a moderate gaming PC specs though... I heard that SCIarc has a computer lab equipped with more powerful PCs for students to use. Is it good enough to get a gaming laptop with GTX960M ($1000)? Or is it necessary to get a workstation laptop with K620M ($2000)?

Apr 3, 16 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: