Archinect
anchor

MLA - RISD or Cornell?

Frannosk

Hi all,

So far I have been accepted by RISD, Cornell and WUSTL for MLA program starting this fall. I am a WUSTL undergrad so I'm deciding on going somewhere else for grad school.

I am an environmental policy major in college and am interested in ecology/environment related landscape designs. 

Could someone please give me some intro to either schools (RISD or Cornell) on what their programs focus more on, and what kind of career people usually step into when graduated?

Thanks!

Mar 23, 16 1:49 am
tomklein

Frannosk - I know quite a few RISD alum and was recently accepted by WUSTL for the MLA. My perspective, with a more limited understanding of WUSTL, is that those two programs are very similar. It doesn't sound like your undergrad was in the Sam Fox School, but I get the feeling those two have similar vibes. Visual art appears to be an important aspect of both, and I know that at RISD the first year of the 3 year MLA is really focused on sketching and hand rendering. 

Cornell's program is based in the Ag school, which will give it more of an environment/engineering feel. I think that both programs, if not all programs, are going to be very strong on ecological design since that is such an important movement happening right now in our field. 

Can you provide me with some insight into WUSTL? I am visiting this weekend, and would love any insight you have into the college, and the neighborhood. I have lived in Boston, MA for the past three years, but am originally from the midwest (Madison, WI). I've never been to St. Louis. 

Apr 21, 16 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Sample work and happenings from Cornell

Apr 21, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Take the cheapest. If money is the same for everyone go for Cornell.

Apr 21, 16 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

WashU and RISD aren't that similar overall.  I can't speak to the program as it's after my time but the university is great: it is an elite academic institution who's strength extends from medicine to business, engineering to science, arts and liberal arts - virtually every program is well respected.  The reputation and strength of the academic departments in turn brings in great lecturers - seminars and symposiums on all kinds of topic are readily accessible should you wish.  Unlike some institutions, the crossover between departments are an everyday occurrence and interdisciplinary study programs are encouraged for their undergrads.  The other nice thing being around such bright minds (one of my seminars would have 2 rhode scholars and over 7 fulbright scholars out of 30), is that you have an opportunity to engage them in coursework and research in related fields (I did this in grad school elsewhere and the overall breadth and quality of the institution can really push your boundaries)

The city is transitional - it's suffered a great deal as major businesses left for the coasts or out into the suburbs, but there are a lot of cute neighborhoods.  Historically it's had a great tradition in the arts and music and some of that remains (live bands at virtually every bar on the weekends, etc).  The cost of living is ridiculously low and the university owns most of the real estate in the area to keep the neighborhoods relatively safe.  To the west is a very upscale suburb (Clayton) and the east side of campus is one of the nicest urban parks around (Forest Park) that is full of museums, outdoor theater and a zoo.  A lot of students live to the north side of campus where there's a college strip.

Apr 21, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: