Archinect
anchor

Salary Expectations?

thompson's gazelle

Hello all,

I'm 29, and have about 3 years of experience in a corporate architecture firm in Seoul, Korea (meaning I have a very unbalanced set of skills--much much more experience with competitions and SD than with CD). 

I have a B.Arch and a masters in urban design from the US, and my gradschool is very well-renowned internationally (hope that somewhat matters outside the US). I'm fluent in Korean and English, but speak no other language.

So I'm wondering how much I could get paid when I get a job in New York or Paris.

When I was in the states in 2013, entry-level designers with no professional experience would get paid anywhere between 40~50k in NYC, and that still seems to be the norm.

What I want to know is that how much of my 3+ years of experience will get credit? I here that international experiences outside the US or the EU are undervalued--is that true?

Also when I search France in the salary poll, I see numbers that are way under my expectations. Do the numbers seem weird because I'm thinking in US dollars neglecting the the euro price drop in the recent years? What will be the average salary be in Paris for a junior architect?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Mar 22, 16 8:57 pm
arch76

Well, in an interesting twist of logic, New York City apparently values your limited entry level design experience more than say, if you were licensed, so that is a plus, at least according to salary.com. Hopefully local talent can set the record straight. As always, the skills you bring to the table will be a determining factor in what you can ask in salary. but, c'mon...

http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Designer-I-Salary-Details-New-York-NY.aspx

http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Architect-II-Salary-Details-New-York-NY.aspx

Paris is a very beautiful city with an intense passion for the arts, and most certainly an awesome place to spend your twenties. How is your French?

Mar 23, 16 12:40 am  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

@arch76

Well that sounds more hopeful. Thanks for the helpful link-

Regarding my french, Paris is pretty much the only french word I know.

Mar 23, 16 1:34 am  · 
 · 
3tk

It's not the # of years, but the amount of experience.  Usually people gain knowledge of codes, CD production, CA and construction processes early in their career.  The reason why foreign experience is 'undervalued' is that the codes, permitting process and construction practices are different enough that a young professional may not be as useful with foreign experience.

When looking at salaries note the tax rate, particularly on the part of the employer (in US it's around 7.7%, I understand it's closer to 40% in France).  Assuming you don't need a visa (another burden on the employer - lawyer fees, paperwork time by staff, uncertainty every year), it's a big difference btw countries.

Mar 23, 16 10:14 am  · 
 · 
arch76

Regarding my french, Paris is pretty much the only french word I know.

LOL- thats a good start. I did a year and change overseas after I finished school, and I did learn Microstation, but everything else I learned was infinitely more valuable. It may sound cheesy, but the older you get, the harder it becomes to take stupid risks and live an adventure. du temps en temps, laissez les bon temps rouller!

Mar 24, 16 1:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: