Archinect
anchor

BIM??

manoverde84

Hey all. I'm working on my autocad certificates in architectual and mechanical drafting at the local occupational center. So far it's going great but I put out my resume a little too soon and sure enough I received some interest. I was really looking for non design related work in administrative assistant positions or non design work. Someone called me and said they had an immediate opening for a BIM modeling drafter. That's new stuff to me and this firm is way more mechanical than architectual. They want to bring me in to test me out to see if it's a good fit but I just don't think I'm ready as of yet to not only hit the ground running on design work much less something so new to me as BIM. They said paid training, the whole works but what do you guys think? Is this stuff pretty hard for some one who's only gone through the autocad fundamentals? I haven't even started with arch or mechanical. All I wanted was a desk job non design. Should I pass up the opportunity and tell them thank you but I will reapply when I'm more skilled? Your thoughts? 

Mar 21, 16 3:23 pm
Non Sequitur

mechanical BIM-monkey job. Sounds painful.

Do you even know how to work in BIM?

Mar 21, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

No you should not.

If they pay for the education it is a good opportunity.

We are in a quite historical moment right now; CAD is being replaced with something new, something not yet fully understood but with full of potential - BIM.

CAD programs will no longer be the first programs but rather secondary programs in next 5 years.

it is exactly the same thing happening like it was 25 years ago when a wide implementation of  CAD replaced hand drafting techniques. (maybe it was a thing bad. to happen...)

Anyway give a try.

Mar 21, 16 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Ok one vote yes, another vote no. I know next to nothing about BIM. All that threw me for a loop. The guy didn't give one lick about my arch cad studies only mechanical which I have not even taken yet. He wants me to come in and get a feel for me and see if I would be a good fit for BIM modeling drafting. All paid training. Right off the bat I'm being offered work but it makes me nervous cus I have no idea what the heck BIM even entails. So I'm spending all this dough on training certs that will be supplanted by something else? Can I learn BIM and pick it up in a few months training or earn a cert online? Honestly for a total newbie with just a month of fundamental autocad only looking for a non design job should I even consider this option? Would I just make myself look like a total buffoon and waste this companys time? 

Mar 21, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

all paid training.  nothing more needs to be said.

jump in.  see what happens.  better to take the opportunity than to wait for the next one to come around.  good luck.

Mar 21, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

be honest about your skills but be excited and personable and demonstrate willingness to learn and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get the job.

Mar 21, 16 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Awesome! I figured they preferred someone to hit the ground running with CAD but they asked me if I was able to work and go to school so that told me that they're willing to train me while I'm still studying. The need must be serious. I am very excited and don't want to pass this up. 

Mar 21, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Can you learn BIM online? How long til BIM takes over CAD as the standard? 

Mar 21, 16 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Wow...

Mar 21, 16 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Wow what? Just let out the sarcasm 

Mar 21, 16 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

non sequitur seems like a lot of fun...

yes, take the opportunity, paid training, 

Mar 22, 16 12:45 am  · 
 · 
A.I.

Take the opportunity.  Paid training in a controlled environment.  

You don't "learn BIM" online or through books because it's not a program.  You have to first learn the tools that support BIM (like Revit, etc.) and then work through a BIM project to understand what's going on. 

I would go for it if I were you.  Traditional CAD drafting methods are on the way out, and you don't want to become redundant in the next few years.

Mar 22, 16 4:37 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Don't listen to Non Sequitur, obviously someone has a stick up their ass.

Onto the topic, take the opportunity, if it fails at least  you had paid training. BIM itself is a process rather than the program or so.. What you will likely be required to do is draft in 3D, that's all it is no different than AutoCAD imo but in this case it will likely be Revit, ArchiCAD or a Bentley equivalent.

BIM stands for building information modelling and put shortly is a processing of adding information into a model for example, manufacturing information and construction info. The other advantage was that it was meant to be a way for all disciplines to collaborate into a single working model, but I'll let others argue that.

If I had to put a number, I'd put 90% of people who want "BIM" don't understand what it even is. Heck I was at a BIM consultancy and trained people in Revit, I don't even know how people find it so difficult to grasp the concepts.

Mar 22, 16 4:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^ no sticks in sight.
Mar 22, 16 8:01 am  · 
 · 

Take it.

Paid training is great. Hard stuff will help you grow. You're probably capable of more than you think.

Mar 22, 16 9:06 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

no sticks in sight.

that's because. . .

he said they're on the other side, where you can't see them. . . .

wish you the best of luck manoverde84

Mar 22, 16 9:16 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

paid training is basically unheard of in this industry, I am with everyone else, try to get the job.

Mar 22, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Thanks guys! I interview tomorrow and I'm nervous as heck but at least I know now where the industry is going. I'm going to be honest about my skill level but if they say they prefer a skilled guy to hit the ground running, do you guys think it would be OK to ask them if I can contact them after I gain the necessary skills? You think I would even get a call back? 

Mar 22, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Don't give them a reason not to give you the job. Don't go into the interview and say I suck, I suck, I suck. Focus on your positive qualities... say something like I have been studying autocad for 6 months and in that time I've become very fluid in maneuvering the basic elements of the program. It has reinforced my desire to build a career in this field and I'm extremely confident I will be able to pick up other software just as quickly. Show them you have a great attitude. Much more important than skills at your level... or any level for that matter.

Mar 22, 16 10:28 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Wurden is right, don't go in putting yourself down. Have some confidence and say you have the tenacity to learn. Never give a reason why they shouldn't hire you.

Mar 22, 16 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: