Archinect
anchor

Architectural Thesis advice

ericapamintuan

Hello guys! I'm from the Phil and i'm an incoming 5th yr student.  I just need your advice and suggestions/tips  for my thesis title. Originally, it was "Benguet Vermicomposting and Recycling Center: An exploration of the use of vermin to waste reduction".  I chose the topic solid waste management  to address the growing waste menace in Baguio City.

Actually my professor have already approved my title. It's just that he's concerned about the percentage of Architectural solution that i will provide because my title falls under  Industrial zone.  And i was thinking of changing it instead.  The problem is, I've already completed my research book and my professor advised me to not to change my title because it will be a suicide. lol - since i have to start all over again.  And then i thought of an idea of providing commercial zones/areas in it. The scope will be on the integration of industrial and commercial zone. It will be a never ending cycle:

From wastes ->fertilizer+products->products will be sold->wastes will be generated again -> 

Soooo.. that's it. Any comments? questions? concerns? It will be greatly appreciated. :) thanks!

Mar 21, 16 11:38 am
x-jla

Can it be overlapped with park space?  See James Corners Freshkills park project...can it be scaled to something that could potentially be decentralized and integrated into a small urban space/s?  Can it be architecturally symbolic/monumental?  See Battersea power station...  Can it combine functional necessity with symbolism/education/information? See Realities United smoke rings on that BIG project... Don't give in to the professors that want some curvy bullshit.  This project can be deeper than some aesthetic wavy bullshit as it addresses issues of infrastructure + architecture + urban planning + sustainability.  

Mar 21, 16 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

What about integrating social transparency through the built form and drawing people into the process? Some cities are taking biofuel generation plants and turning them on it's head and showcasing it to the public. This can be found in cities where they use district energy, in the event that you want to look this type of thing up. Imagine showcasing the process and making it appealing/sexy for the public. That way it doesn't happen behind closed doors but you can have the public visit the space in tours and learn about the process. Sort of similar to visiting a brewery and doing a tour of it and getting the chance to see the process. Maybe you can go check out a recycling plant and look at ways to make it more appealing to the public. 

Mar 22, 16 7:25 am  · 
 · 

Agree with most of the comments above. 

The question/trouble is that composting and vermiculture exist w/o architects, and arguably as a vernacular practice the performance is better. Industrial composting is an interesting thing, but boring for architects unless you consider the needs of bacteria. Biosolids/nightsoil can be nightmares. These are the "so whats" and pitfalls you want to to avoid.

So in asking the core question of what makes this architecture, perhaps you should treat this as an examination of soil vs. soil stabilization practices.  Find locations/sites based on classifications (like technosols or "urbanite") and their location and need for enrichment. 

The architecture can fall into place after that.

Mar 22, 16 10:02 am  · 
 · 
ericapamintuan

Yes that's what actually bothers me -  that it might be a boring topic since it's more on the gray area of architecture. But since the faculty told us to focus more on the problems of our country and find ways to address it architecturally, i chose solid waste bec it's one of the current problems of the Phil and i thought i might create a thesis out of it.   But from your responses and suggestions, i can see now that i can make it more interesting.  Thank you for all the responses..i can see now the point. I will accept additional suggestions or comments. It will be a big help for me to analyze and create a more solid idea out of it. Thank you so much!  :)

Mar 22, 16 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
harleybike02

The Ride features interactive discussions between those who have lived lives of service with younger audiences, showing them clear pathways to learn more about citizenship and service as well as join or contribute to service organizations of all kinds  – ultimately to get them to take their own journeys to find out who they are and what they're about through service to others. By encouraging young people to do good work and solve common problems, starting in their own communities, they also become better Americans.

Travels with Harley

Mar 22, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

AGAIN: "Benguet Vermicomposting and Recycling Center: An exploration of the use of vermin to waste reduction" IS NOT A THESIS TOPIC- ITS A PROJECT... STOP CALLING IT A THESIS... 

Mar 22, 16 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
jianenaval

If it is not a thesis topic, then do you have any suggestions in revising the title instead?

Jul 7, 18 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Shaw

Sounds like a great project! Maybe just try 'thinking out of the box'.........try to go somewhere away from the studio and think.....preferably out in nature/the forest/river/parks, etc. It's amazing how clearly you can think in a setting like that - wherever you feel comfortable.    

Jul 7, 18 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: