Archinect
anchor

Drawing Programs or Traditional Tools?

dux0r

Greetings and salutations, I'm currently enrolled in a high school Geometry class. As an assignment, I have to write an argument supporting either one of the following arguments.

1. There is a need for students to understand and be able to construct geometric figures using a compass and straightedge.
  2. There is no need for students to use a compass and straightedge, and all geometric constructions should be done using a drawing program.

I would love to receive some professional input on this subject.

Mar 19, 16 5:18 pm
Non Sequitur
What a ridiculous set of polarized options. A better question: what bother to walk as a toddler if we have self driving cars?
Mar 19, 16 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

dux0r,

While there are tools that are available the doesn't require the use of manual drafting/drawing of geometric shapes. However, this is a math class so it would be useful to understand the area of 2d shapes and volume of 3d shapes. We do have vector tools like CAD that eliminates the absolute requirement of having to manually draw these shapes.

Therefore, there is justifiable arguments that can be made. I think in reality, it should never be a stark point of view. The problem with arguing one over the other in absolute is its a slippery slope and exposes students to bad or poor grading policy of the teacher. The teacher needs to be careful in grading and not grade on student's opinion or point of views but grade on your ability to provide supporting arguments, proper writings, demonstration of understanding the principles of geometry, properly citing sources.

The reality is students in such assignments are going to be bringing their own arguments for both options. Valid arguments can be made to support either options. 

For YOUR assignment, choose one and put support supporting arguments for it. Cite any sources you quote or reference. Use proper grammar. Check your spellings. 

In this type of assignment, you will want to be persuasive and also be using sound arguments with supporting evidence.

Another option you could look at is actually take the dual approach with a comparative analysis. You make a comparative analysis and you can make arguments for and against BOTH arguments and develop a conclusion statement/thesis. You begin with a hypothesis. 

If I was assigned this type of assignment, that latter option would be my approach. It requires a higher degree of academic skills to pull it off. 

Now the ball is in your court. You decide how you want to go about it.

Mar 19, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
dux0r

Thanks for the responses guys.

Mar 22, 16 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

If you can't draw with a pencil, you can't draw with a computer either.

Mar 22, 16 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

gwharton,

That wouldn't e 100% true. However, knowing how to draw by hand can help with drawing with a computer. 

Mar 22, 16 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

My knowledge of hand drafting does help build my work. There are some things I know about shapes that I don't think I would have learned from computer drafting. An example, is how to find the center of a circle, using a compass and straightedge. This is something I taught myself, is very simple and isn't clear from CAD drafting. 

I use CAD drafting to find things quickly that hand methods would take longer. An example would be the area of two overlapping arcs, this is easy with CAD, but difficult with "math". 

I think that it makes a lot of sense for students to do some hand drafting, and CAD later. Why not? they are 2 different tools, 

If you are fixing a car, you can use an air ratchet or a crescent wrench. Both work, and do different things, but both could be used for the same function if you want to. Why not know how to use both? 

Mar 22, 16 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: