Archinect
anchor

Columbia MS.AAD vs Berkeley MArch Studio One

international_applicant

Dear fellow architects, I have recently been accepted by Harvard March II, Columbia MS.AAD, Yale MArch II, Berkeley MArch Studio One, Ucla MArch II SupraStudio. Harvard did not give any financial aid (140,000 total cost of attendance) and UCLA, although I was selected by Thom Mayne himself, was always a back up plan. So here comes the real dilemma: While waiting for Yale's financial offer (140,000 total cost of attendance), I am torn between Berkeley (55,000 total cost of attendance) without any scholarship (although they said I was top applicant, they said they are a state school without sponsor this year) and Columbia (123,000 total cost of attendance) with 33,000 merit-based scholarship. So the here is the question: Go to Berkeley of pay the extra 35,000 and attend Columbia. Does Columbia's connections, reputation and program deserve the extra 35,000??? Thank you in advance

Mar 19, 16 10:24 am
AstridCam

Columbia is located in the upper west side of Manhattan, I visited last year as my sister lives in NYC. The school building itself does not seem to be impressive, it's quite small and though I didn't get to see all of it, it got the impression that the Upenn architecture building seemed better and more spacious (for classes, studios, etc). They are still a great school, very respected and I'd say if you went there you'd have good chances to find a job in NYC after graduation without a problem (also think about the connections you'd make there). BUT think about this, Manhattan is one VERY expensive city. Not only rent, but taxes in regular products, groceries, transportation, bills and even clothing. That's something that they don't include in the budget they estimate on the GSAPP info. I think you should know that before going there, just to be prepared. Even if you want to go out and have a beer with some friends it could be more expensive than doing the same at other cities in the US. However, it's NYC! That by itself is something else! The opportunities, the culture, the people, the connections, etc are all a bonus. Just to give you an example, my sister pays for a studio apt in upper east side in Manhattan that's incredibly tiny $1800 plus utilities. I pay $700 for a spacious one bd apt with parking and some utilities in Philly. I kno they are very different cities but just to make a comparison of how rent varies. 

I do not know much about Berkeley except for that is close to SF. As a school, it is also great, but if you're thinking about budget as well, maybe do some research on rent and job prospects. 

Good luck! Also try to contact some current students (student blogs, IG, etc) that could help you get a clearer picture of hat you'd be getting in each school. I'm trying to gather as much information for my own decision of moving to Boston for GSD. I think if you make an informed desk ion you'd be better prepared for what is about to come. 

Mar 19, 16 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@astridcam thank you for your response. I am alreafy doing my research with alumni and current students for both schools. You would be surprised if I tell you that prices are as high in Berkeley! I was when I found out. Good luck with your new GSD adventure! Anyone knowing anything more specific that would made my decision easier?

Mar 19, 16 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Anybody willing to share any thoughts?

Mar 19, 16 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
dmb2904

This is sort of a parallel comparison, but what's a better course/ what are the comparison points between UCLA Suprastudio and Columbia M.S.AAD?

Apr 14, 16 8:50 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Dmb2904 depends on the studio you choose at SupraStudio. For example the turkish leader studio (keep forgetting his name) is a more parametric and bioinspired approach. Thom Mayne is more urban design approach. I perceive Columbia's program as a more architectural approach. The cost is huge though. That is why I decided to go to UCB. If you are between the two choose the cheapest. That is what everyone keep telling me. LA has a huge market for architects and the salaries are not different than New York.

Apr 14, 16 9:00 am  · 
 · 
dmb2904

Thank you @international_applicant!

Apr 18, 16 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: