Archinect
anchor

Yale VS Harvard

meomeo91

Hi guys, I am an international student who will probably attend one of these schools. I am posting since I am really struggling on this decision. I have been admitted to both their M Arch II programs. Talking about aid: GSD gives me 10K, YSOA 15K. If anyone has any advice ,comparisons, or information on how pursuing one or the other program would affect your future and career, please let's share it here! Every word is appreciated!! Thanks guys! ;)

Mar 18, 16 6:36 pm
Ebinehita

When did you get financial aid info from Yale?

Mar 18, 16 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

yale beat baylor, which was very good for my bracket, so i support them this year.

Mar 18, 16 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Yale team had a team member accused of sexual assault, and has had a Dean that totally disrespected women. Harvard is full of asshats. Go to Penn, or Princeton.
Mar 18, 16 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

You have to ask?

Mar 18, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Rich people problems...

Mar 18, 16 10:49 pm  · 
curtkram

there are those who chose their brackets on emotion, and those who chose their brackets on numbers.  i did not know about sexual assaults or disrespect of women.  that's not how gambling works.

Mar 18, 16 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

how does one get a rebound? (see jimmy fallon or espn sc)....Yale ' thats where connected people role. harvard people try, slightly

Mar 19, 16 12:21 am  · 
 · 
seoulkid

Hi I am also this year's applicant.

I am admitted to Princeton($$$$), GSD($$).

I will go PRINCETON without hesitation!! It was my dream school.

If I were you I will definitely go Yale.

GSD is no worth $5K. Some says Yale is better.

I have a lot of friends in GSD and most of them say they are disappointed with GSD.

I am not saying GSD is not good. Most of my friends had some 'fantasy' about 'Harvard' as they are all international students. But when they went to GSD their illusions about 'Harvard' were shattered. 

What is funny is that a lot of GSD students attend MIT course( a kind of Class switching) and they realize MIT is much better than GSD. And actually some of my friends applied to MIT next year and now attending MIT.

And actually MIT is more difficult to be admitted than GSD as they are more selective school and they usually give more money.

Just go to the school that gives you more money.

It's not only the money issue

Giving you more money means that your design is more in line with design that Yale pursues.

Every architecture school has different design orientation they pursue. And I heard that if your design is more in line with the school's design orientation you have much more chance to win design competition within the school(most schools have their own design competition) and also you can be a faculty of that school.

That is why money is not only money issue. It's a really important criteria.

Mar 19, 16 12:22 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@seoulkid we get that you are the user "londonfog" who is an international student waitlisted by harvard march ii and you are trying to send the people the other way to get in. Grow up. If someone is not going, he/she will decide it by him/herself.

Mar 19, 16 7:55 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Seoulkid" is representative of the quality of persons admitted to Harvard? Someone really should contact the admissions office at Harvard and speak with whoever maintains the wait list. Forward them this string.

Mar 19, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 
AstridCam

So I was not the only one who picked up on the fact that @seoulkid and @londonfog seem to write exactly the same and trying to discourage people from getting into Harvard. I don't understand why would someone try to take the time to campaign against one school, so fervently. 

Mar 19, 16 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@astridcam he is definetely waitlisted at gsd and tries to send people the other way to get in. That is what i got from the overall situation

Mar 19, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I'd you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.
Mar 19, 16 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

Yale. 

The extra time that the M.Arch II program provides at Yale is also a really good thing. After the first semester, you've barely begun to understand the system, the school, and the university. Most of us didn't really feel fully a part of the school until the second year. Then you get an entire year to really enjoy it all, and learn what you can. 

Also, take advantage of the ability to use that time in classes outside of the architecture school. Many of us M.Arch II's (Post-Pros) took courses in the Art, Law, and Business schools. 

Mar 20, 16 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

all you need to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyzQwwO4Os

Mar 20, 16 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

I do not know how are their MArch II programs like, but I am myself in a similar situation. I have offers from both universities. I know that people are maybe more dazzled by the name of Harvard, but so far Yale's approach towards me is better. They have even sent me a book of students work with fedex at home, here in Greece, accompanied with a hardcopy of the letter of acceptance. Great overall approach! Makes you feel really wanted by the school. Still waiting for their financial offer though to make my final decision

Mar 21, 16 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Lots of things to do in Boston, sort if a critical mass of students and colleges there. A lot of beautiful historical buildings to savor as well. New Haven, on the other hand, is pretty much known for its crime rate.

Mar 21, 16 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Median

@international_applicant Harvard has done the same for me, sent me platform 8, hard copies of the letters etc... to me in the middle east... Yale I haven't received anything from yet in the form of Hard Copy... Overall for me Princeton has been the most accepting (and financially as well), I feel Yale and Harvard are both just a bit cold.

Mar 21, 16 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

You are going to meet a lot of people who don't do architecture in your life. There is no correct answer if you ask which program is better regarding academics/design, but people's eyes will generally get bigger when you say Harvard than Yale. The name is more powerful outside of architecture, and more so internationally. Unless money is a significant issue for you, think carefully and make a wise decision.

Mar 21, 16 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

It's all the same man... Harvard, Yale... don't matter.

Both of them are packed by retarded leftists...  

Mar 21, 16 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: