Archinect
anchor

How can artists make money!!!?

archKash

I was so happy when I discovered architecture because I have the intuition for it and can spend hours on sketchup and rendering software. Im very artistically inclined over say hard maths and business. 

http://www.arch.columbia.edu/resources/gsapp-resources/career-services/alumni-survey-data

But apparently most GSAPP architects make less than 60K and most in real estate make over 100k. Is there any creativity involved in real estate? I would imagine so, but I don't know much about real estate. It seems like you are the one who is actually making the building happen. Can you combine and M.arch degree with a real estate degree (they are only like a year long). Can you design the actual building in real estate and pass that to the architect?

Im just trying to combine making money with design and artistic creativity. 

Mar 12, 16 9:52 pm
Find a patron?

Otherwise it takes years to climb up to the money you are looking for, and some (or most) don't make it. If you are looking for money, you are probably looking in the wrong place.
Mar 12, 16 10:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Carrera

Real estate is infinitely easier if you’re comfortable networking and marketing…knew an architect that switched and it was a big advantage…people walk into homes with blank imaginations…”oh the counters are black, I can’t buy this house!” He used his knowledge to sell the unsellable…would draw revised floor plans, show how it would work, even got side work remodeling the homes he sold…add to that he was knowledgeable about other things the average real estate agent is clueless about. 

Mar 12, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Create artwork that will appeal to affluent buyers that you can sell for semi-crazy money.

There could be a real hidden market for black velvet paintings of The Donald.

Mar 13, 16 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Developers take on massive financial risk - thus the rewards. It requires a wider range of skills than architects too.

Jul 1, 20 9:04 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I was gonna suggest working at starbucks for this necro'd thread...

Jul 1, 20 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Whatever happened to Josh Mings?

Jul 1, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

More active on other platforms. Like a lot of the names from the past.

Jul 1, 20 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That's a shame, but completely understandable.

Jul 1, 20 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

I’m around! Mainly posting on the anonymous username lately. Working a lot, painting a bit, shitposting on Twitter, having weight loses surgery next month.

Jul 1, 20 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Nice to see you back, Josh. And, yes, anonymity seems to be the way to go these days. Good luck with the surgery!

Jul 1, 20 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: