Archinect
anchor

To anyone thinking of architecture as a career...

accesskb
Non Sequitur

... and the point is? No one graduating with an M.arch is worth $100K/year entry level job.

Most of these are management level spots anyways.

Mar 9, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

so many architects on that list...

data architect, software architect, solutions architect, custodial architect, garbage disposal architect, bag boy architect, paper route architect, girl scout cookie sales architect...

where is the AIA fighting for our title? oh yea, writing shitty, overpriced contracts and having cocktail parties.

Mar 9, 16 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Solutions Architect.... I'm taking it back. That's exactly what I do. 

Mar 9, 16 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

architect of innovative bongs

Mar 9, 16 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

where is the AIA fighting for our title? oh yea, writing shitty, overpriced contracts and having cocktail parties.

Don't forget dressing up as their favorite building.  That's crucial for the survival of the profession.

Mar 9, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

You know I finally saw one of those "Look Up" ads, on Hulu...  I'm sure those were dues well spent...

Mar 9, 16 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
Wow, take this thread, and stick in 1999, and you'll have the same whining.

Moving forward means accepting the reality, and decide what you're doing about it, aside from the tears in your beers.
Mar 9, 16 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I'm not complaining!

I think I will actually start calling myself a solutions architect. Sounds really valuable.

Interesting how all of these "architect" professions have generally used the title to convey value when actual architects suffer from not being able to articulate the value they bring to construction projects. 

To tell you the truth I really like seeing other professions using the title with the thought that it helps hold our own profession in a higher esteem. 

Mar 9, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I can only imagne going to an IT convention or conference... What would I say when I introduce myself- "hi- My name is BB.... I'm an architect." And the guy I am speaking with would probably say something like- "Cool! Me too! Nice to meet you!" Oh brother...

Mar 9, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This is an annoyance but not a crisis.  It's a pain because it muddies the use of the term at some of those cocktail parties, and means our online job searches are more complicated now.

But the it's not a (big) problem where it really counts: getting hired for architectural services.  No "solutions architect" is going to be competing with us for a condo or retail project design and CDs.

Mar 9, 16 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

^^yeah cuz they do things with real fees and that have the option to pull the plug if not paid.

Mar 9, 16 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Acturies I know earn far more than stayed on the website, I know a few earning 200K GBP

Mar 10, 16 4:28 am  · 
 · 
arch76

this is certainly an under-appreciated  job and profession,  but in all seriousness though- who the hell else in the world gets to draw people a picture, stamp it, and say "yeah, build it like this..."

Mar 12, 16 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Money is not everything. I can't imagine being a dentist or undertaker. On the other hand members of the "Crescent River Port Pilots' Association" get $325,000 a year for guiding ships between the Gulf of Mexico and New Orleans. That is a job I could jump at!

Mar 12, 16 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

^ No money is everything.

Mar 12, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: